iTunes

Tony Whitlow

29 minutes ago, K5SS said:

If they mess with my ability to listen to free podcasts, I will boycott all Apple products forever. Not that Apple will notice my measly contributions though. 

Me too.  Actually I've never bought an Apple product in my life so this should be easy.

• Like 1

From Channel D Pure Music

Channl D

Pure MusicPure VinylSetaAudio LeakWaave BoxMac the Scope

News

Press

June 2019
Has iTunes been "discontinued?"

Folks have recently been bombarded with attention-grabbing headlines about Apple "discontinuing" iTunes.

The actual truth was announced on June 3 by Apple at the WWDC keynote: Apple will be renaming iTunes to Music.

As very humorously pointed out by Craig Federighi during the keynote, the functionality unrelated to music (TV, podcasts, iOS device support, etc.) will be delegated to separate apps or the OS. This is a welcome development.

Unsurprisingly, Apple has retained the code base that enables interapplication communication, allowing Pure Music to interact with and control the new Music app, the same as with iTunes. Changing Pure Music to support the new Music app instead of iTunes amounts to changing a single line of code in Pure Music. (This change actually makes the Pure Music application binary one byte smaller!)

This is, of course, distinct from the changes needed for the 8 byte memory addressing required in the upcoming MacOS 10.15 ("Catalina"). But, that issue is not related to iTunes at all. We've already been working on it; see the topic "64 bit memory addressing / notice in High Sierra and Mojave" under the heading Newest Topics.

What about existing iTunes music libraries? The Music app included with the MacOS 10.15 Developer Beta distributed during WWDC imported our own 70,000+ song iTunes music library and associated playlists in a few seconds, and hit the ground running.

The headlines proclaiming "Apple Discontinues iTunes," as far as Pure Music is concerned, are much ado about nothing. Apple refocused and renamed iTunes to Music. We see this as a very positive change, improving the performance of Music (née iTunes) and Pure Music after Apple releases the upcoming MacOS 10.15 to all users, likely in late September 2019.

June 2019