Scuffs in the veneer

rickysa

Can you tell us if these are oil finish or lacquer finish?  Pictures showing damage are helpful too.

I'm not clear on whether you are writing, in the case of the subject speaker, of scuffs in the finish or scuffs in the veneer (which would very likely include the finish because it is on top of the veneer).

WMcD

• Like 1

oil/lacquer?...I guess I'm not sure.  They are 2009 (per the s/n) haven't been changed in any way.  I'll take a pic at lunch.  the scuff doesn't go through the veneer (you can't feel it with a fingernail), it's just in the surface treatment (again, kinda like a swirl mark in the clear coat of your car that doesn't penetrate into the paint)

...and thanks for the kind welcome!!

F83AFBEA-79F7-42C7-807F-3C8109C8C9FD (Medium).jpeg

Edited by rickysa
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, rickysa said:

oil/lacquer?...I guess I'm not sure.  They are 2009 (per the s/n) haven't been changed in any way.  I'll take a pic at lunch.  the scuff doesn't go through the veneer (you can't feel it with a fingernail), it's just in the surface treatment (again, kinda like a swirl mark in the clear coat of your car that doesn't penetrate into the paint)

...and thanks for the kind welcome!!

F83AFBEA-79F7-42C7-807F-3C8109C8C9FD (Medium).jpeg

If you would post a picture of your serial number sticker on the back, that would be helpful.  Normally the wood type and finish are encoded there.

If the finish is lacquer, you can buff the area and feather in some touch up spray if needed.   If the finish is oil, you can use four aught steel wool to smooth it back down and work in more oil of the same type.

• Like 1

If it's lacquer, which if the finish is satin, it probably is, you can do what was already suggested and sand lightly with fine grit sandpaper then get some satin spray lacquer from the hardware store and reapply a couple new coats.  The great thing about lacquer is that it will dissolve and flow into the previous lacquer finish.  In fact, you could very lightly scuff the entire cabinet and reapply the lacquer and it will look good as new.  Just make sure and use a mask and do it outside on a non windy day. Lacquer dries fast so you don't usually get any junk in the finish and you can do it all in an afternoon.

The other option is to use Howard's Restore-a-finish with 0000 steel wool. Looks like you would need the oak version.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 12:19 AM, Sancho Panza said:

Welcome, rickysa!

Put a nice leather bound gold embossed book on top, go on with life.

Not that mine are scuffed...

19688D3C-ADB1-4A07-A978-92CECE6CA90F.jpeg

Does anyone but you and me have this Heresy II combination in the Signature Edition?

• Like 1

Yeah those are unusual. And Walnut no less. Most I have seen are natural or oak finish.  I love Walnut. Absolutely beautiful wood. I've thought about redoing mine (Oak) in Walnut myself.  It's actually fairly easy with today's PSA backed veneers.  Cheers!

Edited by sci85