The Klipsch Audio Community
Schu

OT horn or THTLP?

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

No? I'd love to hear your theory about how BFM always manages to find these threads, in which you also participate, without an active account or forum presence. I mean, he had to create a new account just to post his weak legal threat, so clearly he's not haunting the subwoofer section on a daily basis and had to be tipped off by ... someone.

Bill is a member of many forums, he probably reads the forum here.

Maybe somebody said something, i don't know but many forum members have done business with him that i know of and could be many more but to blame me is just wrong.

You want to make an *** out of yourself that's fine but leave me out of it.

I wasn’t planning on emailing anyone the full plan pdf. Just merely a screenshot of the design so the op could pursue that design or not. 

Based on the freaking out I’d have to recommend the othorn now though. 

• Like 1

Here is a thread of the internals and build information nonetheless. 

Hey guys I get that nobody has done anything illegal.... YET...... that we know of... but selling plans for his excellent designs is how Bill F. makes a living or at least part of his living.

So just buy a copy of a plan if you want to build...JEESH.....15 bucks C' mon

Would be a terrible shame if Klipsch corporate said F' it....shut down that forum.

My $0.02

7 hours ago, Schu said:

He needs money to develop designs?

Ideas are free...

That's what the Chinese seem to think...but they sure spend a lot of time/ money/ effort stealing them.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

Thanks for chiming in Adam. Was starting to think I had over reacted.

What you know and what you can prove are 2 different things.  Plausible deniability is a real thing.

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Bill is a member of many forums, he probably reads the forum here.

Highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, jason str said:

Maybe somebody said something

Most definitely.

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

What you know and what you can prove are 2 different things.  Plausible deniability is a real thing.

And based on Adam's update it would appear that no copyright infringement has taken place, so BFM can FRO.

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

so BFM can FRO

And so can the rat.

I R entertained!

Just speaking hypothetically... What are the 'actual damages' incurred by a person that designs something but never markets it? Selling plans is not marketing, it's selling access to a proprietary idea. Once you've sold access to and you've paid for that idea, it now becomes yours to re sell or re distribute.

There's no protection for someone that openly sells their idea/design unless there is a licensing contract with specific parameters spell out and agreed to by both users.

Besides, imitation is the best form of flattery.

23 minutes ago, Schu said:

Just speaking hypothetically... What are the 'actual damages' incurred by a person that designs something but never markets it? Selling plans is not marketing, it's selling access to a proprietary idea. Once you've sold access to and you've paid for that idea, it now becomes yours to re sell or re distribute.

There's no protection for someone that openly sells their idea/design unless there is a licensing contract with specific parameters spell out and agreed to by both users.

Besides, imitation is the best form of flattery.

This is printed on the first page of the plans.  I don't believe it's posted on the web page, or if it is, I can't seem to find it.

This loudspeaker design is copyright protected by the author and as such is offered for the
personal use of the original purchaser only. The unauthorized reproduction or distribution
of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including
infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to
five years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000. Commercial production of loudspeakers
using this design without the permission of Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeakers is strictly prohibited.

Sure sounds intimidating and scary, but not really seeing much that's enforceable there. Again, I'm no lawyer..

giphy.gif

I'll show you my plans if you show me yours.  :ph34r:

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

I'll show you my plans if you show me yours.  :ph34r:

cylinder_head2.jpg

• Haha 1