1949 Klipschorn pair in custom oak cabinets - Los Angeles $4999

rudestmonk

I'm looking to pick up my first pair of Klipschorns, so I did a quick search on CL in the LA area. These popped up:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ele/d/laguna-niguel-klipschorn-the-legends/6902015986.html

Can an expert here chime in on these? What to look out for, ask about, and if the price seems reasonable? Asking price sounds high to me, but I have no idea about vintage speakers. 

Cheers!

They are from 1972.  Not from the 1940's.  They are the 145th and 146th units built that year.  The K in the serial number equates to the year. 

They are overpriced by more than half.  Especially with all the "Home Improvements" some wannabe cabinet maker did on them.  $1700 - $1800 would be my guess as to value. 

We have a nice guy here that tracks sold prices for Klipsch Heritage speakers, @wvu80 and hopefully he will chime in.

YEAR OF MANUFACTURE (1955 THROUGH 1983 ONLY)

A = 1955-63*           F = 1968       L = 1973       S = 1978

B = 1963-64*           G = 1969      M = 1974      T = 1979

C = 1965                H = 1970      N = 1975      U = 1980

D = 1966                J = 1971       P = 1976       W = 1981

E = 1967                 K = 1972       R = 1977      X = 1982

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Personally, I would stay far away from those.  Obviously the cabinetry has been highly modified, and who knows what else.   You would be hard pressed to recoup even $2500 if you needed to sell them in the future.

3 hours ago, rudestmonk said:

I'm looking to pick up my first pair of Klipschorns, so I did a quick search on CL in the LA area. These popped up:

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/ele/d/laguna-niguel-klipschorn-the-legends/6902015986.html

Can an expert here chime in on these? What to look out for, ask about, and if the price seems reasonable? Asking price sounds high to me, but I have no idea about vintage speakers. 

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Emile said:

Not my style :( 

No clue why some people do this ... haha; see below

Because those were someone else's style, and they were probably very proud of their style choices!

And what's the difference? They are both Klipschorns inside, and thus sound amazing!

John Kuthe...

• Haha 1

I saw that ad when it first generated a VERY long time ago. Those have been relisted several times.  I'd say the asking price is a little … inflated?  🤣

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, rudestmonk said:

You've got some solid advice from the above posts ^^^.  Those particular speakers were accurately identified by @Oicu812 and his pricing is spot on.

Here is my Heritage Price spreadsheet.  It's a good research tool.  You live in California and Klipsch seems to run consistently above the average selling prices I have listed.  It's hard to find a deal there.

Klipsch Heritage used prices ver 2019-06.xlsx

Thanks everyone. Y'all are really lovely for sharing your wisdom. 😁 

The seller sent me back a few pictures of the crossovers if anyone's interest is still piqued.

https://ibb.co/album/jCmrOv

I'll probably dodge these if the opinion remains the same. Another set popped up around the LA area with those beautiful, classic cabinets. 

unnamed (1).png