Speaker test music? Dynamic Highs/Lows ...

Emile

What music do you use to test your speakers? (Haha, or to "show them off.") 

Have been using the soundtrack from the movie "Country," #11 - The Auction for a while. Love the drums on it :D  Section of it below as mp3 file.

Sure there is much better test music out there ... let me know what you use :) 

Thanks, Emile

11The Auction-Section Cut.mp3

• Thanks 1

My first post! so i thought i would talk about music rather than gear! LOL anyhow I listen to a vast selection of music,  for testing and showing off i use all sorts from modern to classic from electronic to rock. Some of my favourite tracks/albams for testing and show off are as follow.

Recently discovered, Lilly Moore all her EPs so far

hunter as a horse, the passenger  

Dermot Kennedy all his stuff 

Jeff Beck loud hailer, track 3 is a real fav

Lucy Rose, work it out great vocals 

The Internet death ego

Two feet, A 20 something f*@K

Nothing but thieves, not made by design stand out track not made by design. If it puts the hair on the back of your neck up through the middle of the track you know you have a good system.

Death from Above 1979, out rage is now, a little compressed but a right hoot. but will show of your systems speed and attack play loud!!! 

Natasha blume, all her EPs (not available on all streaming services)

Welles red trees and white trash whole album is good but the stand for me is "Seventeen"

Sigrid, everybody knows, just league album (and a lot of her other stuff is great also)

The weeknd, my dear melancholy, call out my name. filthy month but great vocalist especially this track

Bassette, bermuda 

For testing/showing off bass

DJ shadow, Three Ralphs doesn't really get any deeper than that TBH

Henry green slow, the has some amazing bass that if you system is setup right and i mean bang with land right behind you not just in front. Great spacial effects

FK twigs

The prodigy fat of the land, mindfields

still haze, Down in the vespa

A long list sorry! but well you know, i like too listen to it all and all i deem to be pretty well recorded, It's also slightly different list to what would normally be thrown around in most circles and there's something there for everybody (apart from classical, i find it had to find well recorded classical). So have fun, enjoy and hopefully you'll something new.

Edited by twinkle toes
  • Like 2

I have a tradition of always playing a Mary Black seedee titled "Shine" when I get a new pair of speakers. It's a good litmus test and I'm very familiar with it.

Good demo discs for me are (in no particular order):

Alice In Chains "Unplugged"

Blues Union (Joe Beard/Ronnie Earl)

Dire Straits "Love Over Gold"

Diana Jones "My Remembrance Of You"

Tower of Power "Greatest Hits"

Talking Heads "The Name of This Band is Talking Heads"

Shakey

• Thanks 1

Emile, Emile, Emile...  I'm sure by now you know what you like.  What your wife likes.  The cleaning lady likes.  Your neighbors like.  You always ask them what they want to hear don't you Mr. DJ?  Soooo, you play what they want.  You even get to play what YOU want when wifey's shopping don't you?  I can assure you Procol Harum isn't on my top 10 list BUT that B3 w/the Leslie is super nummy.  lol   It's all subjective to what YOU truly crave.  ELP's Trilogy LP is on here now w/some great instrumental nuances in it.  Every great artist has SOMETHING to bring to the table or they wouldn't be rockstars!  The hotties you've posted are all great in their own way whether violinists or pianists and I truly enjoyed listening to them even though they were streamed.  Everyone is different.  Sure there are a million great suggestions popping up but what works for someone else might not work for you.  Musical utopia is what YOU make it not someone else.  Now be a good boy and crank those MF's you own the F up!  HAHAHA!  I see Jubes in your future!!!  Just my opinion!  😂

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Shiva said:

Who doesn't like a little Pavarotti and James Brown jamming together.    

Great stuff.  Pavarotti always freaked me out a bit with his colored hair, beard, and eyebrows, but what the hell, the man is a legend.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

At the end of the day, nothing shows off Dynamics like Lindsey Stirling. If you speakers can handle dubstep rumble, a screaming violin and vocals at ear splitting levels you know you have a good setup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Lol, This query is more than playing what people like. The real question is what music best displays a speakers qualities. If someone wants to hear some compressed Britney Spears music, they might like hearing it, but it's not going to show what ones speakers are capable of.   In regards to Klipsch, music with a wide dynamic range does just that. From realistic sounding piano to a slammin drum solo. From a close mic'd sexy female voice to Metallica's blue-ray, "Through The Never,"   which is the most dynamic disc I have heard to date. I am not a big Metallica fan, but that disc will totally work out ones speaker system, plus it looks great on the projection screen too.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Lol, This query is more than playing what people like. The real question is what music best displays a speakers qualities. If someone wants to hear some compressed Britney Spears music, they might like hearing it, but it's not going to show what ones speakers are capable of.   In regards to Klipsch, music with a wide dynamic range does just that. From realistic sounding piano to a slammin drum solo. From a close mic'd sexy female voice to Metallica's blue-ray, "Through The Never,"   which is the most dynamic disc I have heard to date. I am not a big Metallica fan, but that disc will totally work out ones speaker system, plus it looks great on the projection screen too.  

I used to hang around CarAudio.com quite a bit and they turned me onto some Sheffield CD of good test songs to exercise an audio system very well!

But I CAN'T get it to play in my old '90s home CD player, only the one in my Nissan Leaf or 2006 Grand Caravan with an Alpine head unit!

John Kuthe...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Shiva said:

Lol, This query is more than playing what people like. The real question is what music best displays a speakers qualities.

Haha ... thanks for clarifying this. (It is NOT a "Right this Minute" music listing :) ) Maybe I should rephrase it as "What is the most DYNAMIC recording, with full BASS and HIGHS?"

PS Thanks for the Metallica advise ... not a big fan, but will try it.  Haha; just bought an Oppo 103D just to try the bluray version ... will have it at home in a week :D 

• Like 3

• Emile changed the title to Speaker test music? Dynamic Highs/Lows ...
29 minutes ago, Emile said:

Haha ... thanks for clarifying this. (It is NOT a "Right this Minute" music listing :) ) Maybe I should rephrase it as "What is the most DYNAMIC recording, with full BASS and HIGHS?"

PS Thanks for the Metallica advise ... not a big fan, but will try it.  Haha; just bought an Oppo 103D just to try the bluray version ... will have it at home in a week :D 

Southern Culture On The Skids has a 12ga Mossberg double barrel SHOTGUN in:

:-)

Test THAT! 😉

John Kuthe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1