Recommend me a new smartphone

Sam S.

Suggestions welcome and appreciated. As the title suggests, looking for new smartphone. Right now, I have a Galaxy S3 that has served fairly well but starting to have some issues, mostly with the battery charging/life, navigation system (location), and playing audio files (choppy/audio jittery). I don't need anything too complicated, but do like these features: Better battery life, decent navigation/maps, ability to download newer apps (son wants pokemon Go, and the S3 doesn't support that), decent camera, fast enough to occasionally stream HBO Go or Netflix content, and I like to load flac files on the storage (e.g. SD card) to play with headphones at work/gym/etc.

I'm not a fan of Apple products. I was looking at a newer S7 or S8, but wonder if there are other suggestions anyone has. Thanks in advance! Budget is somewhat flexible, but refurb. under or around $150 would be preferred. I'm on Page Plus/Verizon network.

Thanks!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

The S5 works for me.  It is the last of the replaceable battery line.  Previously I had the S3 mini.

I still have my S5.  Great phone.  Not only is the battery replaceable, you can add more storage, which I've done.  The S5 Active is water resistant and shock resistant.  I've had mine in my pocket and gone in my pool with no problems whatsoever.

@Sam S.

google fi uses verizon towers around here a lot. 

See if verizon has any of the new lower priced 3a pixels. If you're not an XDA fanatic like I was and changing ROMs all the time, v has them locked down I think but I think they get the monthly updates like the g phones do also. The 3a xl has a big screen, we had to send the 3a back she could not make the text big enough for her 83 yr old eyes. So if we got the xl for 250.00 a month ago after kickbacks when the Nexus 6P died there might be deals with v right now. It does seem like a very good phone just not a metal or glass back and a slightly slower processor, can't dunk it. Great cameras on those pixels!

46 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@Sam S.

google fi uses verizon towers around here a lot. 

See if verizon has any of the new lower priced 3a pixels. If you're not an XDA fanatic like I was and changing ROMs all the time, v has them locked down I think but I think they get the monthly updates like the g phones do also. The 3a xl has a big screen, we had to send the 3a back she could not make the text big enough for her 83 yr old eyes. So if we got the xl for 250.00 a month ago after kickbacks when the Nexus 6P died there might be deals with v right now. It does seem like a very good phone just not a metal or glass back and a slightly slower processor, can't dunk it. Great cameras on those pixels!

I have no idea what you just said.  Except for $250 a month, which is bat hell crazy.  You buy a phone for cash, like a car---or you are stupid.

• Haha 1

Thanks for the suggestions----I think he was suggesting a Google Pixel 3A (specifically). And something about how they aren't waterproof like the Galaxy S___. Unfortunately, with my prepaid plan I'm on, I can't activate a pixel 3A, but could do a 2. I think for about the same amount of refurb dollars I could do a Galaxy S7 or S8.

• Like 1

Well I just looked and the 3s are $200 off, but that is still high. They have the water resistivity.

@oldtimer          https://fi.google.com/about/       That was the total price we paid about a month ago for the replacement phone that retailed for $399 or $450!

@Zack R yes it does.

I pre-ordered the 2XL and am still using it. I got crashed into a month or so ago and a cherry coke spilled all over me and my phone I was using. Turned it off put it face down in a towel checked it three hours later, turned it on and it's fine. Might get the P4 after the holidays like I did when I first hooked up with them get the trade in $ and lower price after Christmas!

Best, most fair priced cell phone company I've ever been with since my first Nokia in 1998. Never had any trouble like all the reddit folks bedevil them about.

24 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I have no idea what you just said.  Except for $250 a month, which is bat hell crazy.

Read it again slow down take it in. Not 250 a month.    250 a month ago.🤣

Thanks for all the suggestions -- Emile's reminds me of the one Gordon Gekko ("The most valuable commodity I know of is information.") used in Wall Street.

Decided to go with the Galaxy S7. Can get refurb in good cond. for around $120. Seems like a decent deal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1