Recommend me a new smartphone

Sam S.

On 6/6/2019 at 3:08 PM, Sam S. said:

Suggestions welcome and appreciated. As the title suggests, looking for new smartphone. Right now, I have a Galaxy S3 that has served fairly well but starting to have some issues, mostly with the battery charging/life, navigation system (location), and playing audio files (choppy/audio jittery). I don't need anything too complicated, but do like these features: Better battery life, decent navigation/maps, ability to download newer apps (son wants pokemon Go, and the S3 doesn't support that), decent camera, fast enough to occasionally stream HBO Go or Netflix content, and I like to load flac files on the storage (e.g. SD card) to play with headphones at work/gym/etc.

I'm not a fan of Apple products. I was looking at a newer S7 or S8, but wonder if there are other suggestions anyone has. Thanks in advance! Budget is somewhat flexible, but refurb. under or around $150 would be preferred. I'm on Page Plus/Verizon network.

Thanks!

The BEST Phone is NO PHONE!!

Only the rich and powerful can get along with NO PHONE today!

All the rest of us, ENSLAVED!!

John Kuthe...

NO Cell Phone, EVER!!

• Haha 1

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, JohnKuthe said:

Only the rich and powerful can get along with NO PHONE today!

And the retired who want no one to bother them.

Ok, I do have a phone BUT no service. It is just my wife's old iPhone 4 with a cracked screen and used to store 10 gb's of music on for when I cut grass with earbuds, and to play music on using wifi if out in the bar and the iPad is inside.

I love when I turn it on and it says no service contact provider it makes me happy......no thank you, they do work great for wifi.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dtel said:

And the retired who want no one to bother them.

Ok, I do have a phone BUT no service. It is just my wife's old iPhone 4 with a cracked screen and used to store 10 gb's of music on for when I cut grass with earbuds, and to play music on using wifi if out in the bar and the iPad is inside.

I love when I turn it on and it says no service contact provider it makes me happy......no thank you, they do work great for wifi.

I'm 6 or 7 years out of OFFICIAL retirement, but been temporarily retired AKA unemployed a LOT! Like right NOW! 59 and counting!

John Kuthe...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/6/2019 at 4:08 PM, Sam S. said:

Suggestions welcome and appreciated. As the title suggests, looking for new smartphone. Right now, I have a Galaxy S3 that has served fairly well but starting to have some issues, mostly with the battery charging/life, navigation system (location), and playing audio files (choppy/audio jittery). I don't need anything too complicated, but do like these features: Better battery life, decent navigation/maps, ability to download newer apps (son wants pokemon Go, and the S3 doesn't support that), decent camera, fast enough to occasionally stream HBO Go or Netflix content, and I like to load flac files on the storage (e.g. SD card) to play with headphones at work/gym/etc.

I'm not a fan of Apple products. I was looking at a newer S7 or S8, but wonder if there are other suggestions anyone has. Thanks in advance! Budget is somewhat flexible, but refurb. under or around $150 would be preferred. I'm on Page Plus/Verizon network.

Thanks!

Wife just bought me a new Samsung S9 at Best Buy. Added $20.50 for 24 months, so not a bad deal. Less than $500 for Samsung's flagship phone. I had a Samsung S6 that I had replaced the screen on, but wife dropped it a so I needed a new phone. Nice early birthday present. I still use my Samsung S3 as a music player, works great.

She would probably drop me before she dropped her Verizon cell plan, even though we no longer are road warriors for MegaCorp. Eh, she pays so I see no reason to argue for a less expensive plan.

For anyone interested in a Samsung S9, they are available online as well as in Best Buy stores. Several colors available. 

• 4 weeks later...

Got the Galaxy S7 for about $120 used. Phone has been great! No complaints about battery, navigation actually works (as compared to the spotty S3), screen size seems to be in the sweet spot, and camera more than adequate.