Another RIP (added pics from yesterday 6-22)

oldtimer

One of my favorite performers, I had seen Dr. John around 10 times. Loved all the styles in which he dabbled, jazz, funk, rock R&B, it mattered not to Mac, he loved and played it all. Just a happy coincidence I made a track list early last week and the opening track I used was Fire Of Love by Dr. John. A track I wasn't familiar with but happy to have found in my collection. Thanks for all the great musical memories Dr. John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Well it's over. 

Not my pictures, I added this from yesterdays news and since I don't know if was in any other news but local. The second line parade was yesterday.

Dr. John loved New Orleans. But it is possible New Orleans loved Dr. John more.

The sun rose at 6 a.m. Saturday morning (June 22) in New Orleans and an hour later the doors of the Orpheum Theatre opened. For the next four hours, a stream of people, as varied as Dr. John’s music, arrived to pay their respects and bid adieu to the beloved musician.

Many donned feathered and beaded top hats with voodoo-themed details, in homage to the musician’s mystic panache. A handful of others wore typical funeral garb, while one opted for a comic-book themed blazer. One woman marched through in amateur Mardi Gras Indian dress. A man arrived ready to star in a western film. Each one was allowed inside.

The scene was quintessentially New Orleans and therefore quintessentially Dr. John. The psychedelic rhythm and blues master born Malcolm John Rebennack Jr. defied boundaries and lived a decidedly singular life. His music spanned rock and roll, blues, jazz, funk and Mardi Gras Indian sound. His speech combined his Dr. Seussian gift of conjuring lyrical, yet logical new words with the gravelly accent of a bayou mobster bullfrog.

The musical and memorial tribute ended with New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival producer Quint Davis introducing a jam band performance of “Iko Iko” by Rebennack’s legendary musical peers. Irma Thomas and Cyril Neville manned the lyrics as Deacon John provided backup vocals and the occasional twirl. New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell boogied as the fingers of Jon Cleary and John “Papa” Gros danced along keyboards.

“We don’t do pity parties. We do parties,” Thomas said. “We don’t send our folk off in sadness. We send them off in happiness.”

So the service ended, the show rolled on, as it always does in New Orleans. For the second time this month, hundreds of people paraded alongside brass bands in the beloved musician’s honor. In the day after Dr. John’s death, New Orleanians took to the streets for a sprawling impromptu second-line through Treme. But on Saturday, Dr. John accompanied them, his casket in a grand black carriage pulled by two horses – one black and one white – from the theatre to St. Louis Cemetery.

The temperatures were scalding: Extreme humidity mingled with temperatures in the 90s to create a classic New Orleans summer day, where walking outdoors felt akin to opening the dishwasher mid-cycle. Still, Mardi Gras Indians stomped in feathered regalia, members of the New Birth Brass Band toted 30-pound tubas, and devoted vendors towed carts of “ICE COLD WATER!” as if they were on the neighborhood streets around Jazz Fest, where Rebennack was a perennial act.

The casket of Dr. John is carried to a horse-drawn carriage before a second-line in New Orleans on Saturday, June 22, 2019. Malcolm John Rebennack Jr., better known as Dr. John, died on Thursday (June 6) at age 77. 

QSS5RXJCSNB3VONKMSFXLB4524.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moderators

The train of music, marching and merriment stymied tourists trying to beeline from Canal Street hotels to the Quarter. Some gaped in bewilderment at the most fun funeral they had ever seen before joining in on a dance to Earl King’s iconic “Big Chief.” It was another typical Rebennack moment, the unapologetic celebration and open-armed sharing of New Orleans culture.

Jazz singer Charmaine Neville, the daughter of Charles Neville and goddaughter of Rebennack, followed the second-line from a distance, occasionally punching her umbrella in the air in sync with the music. She tried to think what Rebennack would say of all this excitement.

“’It’s too damn hot,’” she suggested in raspy imitation. Then, she smiled as she thought of Rebennack, Allen Toussaint and her father reunited in heaven and chowing down on Leah Chase’s gumbo.

It want on for miles.

AZSO7RYDRFHINGWKBG2MMAK5SU.jpg

2DLVDF3BFRGDXP5XU6KWDBXCQM.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1