Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Heritage_Head

La scala mid driver

Recommended Posts

 I know there’s probably quite a few threads on this. And I’m usually pretty good at finding info on here. But didn’t find anything current. I love the K 55 sound but was just wondering ( curious ) Is there a drop in  Driver that people consider a large upgrade over k-55 with the ls stock mid horn?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Cinema_head said:

 I know there’s probably quite a few threads on this. And I’m usually pretty good at finding info on here. But didn’t find anything current. I love the K 55 sound but was just wondering ( curious ) Is there a drop in  Driver that people consider a large upgrade over k-55 with the ls stock mid horn?

No.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sancho Panza said:

Did you do the Crites updates?

I just switched toBobs 125 tweets. I had them from before  when I had  81 Cornwalls. I didn’t like them in the corns as much as the k77. the 77s are louder and sounded better imo. I believe they are the same k-77 (78 ls I have now and 81corns). Can’t be sure as I don’t have the corns anymore.  I waited to switch to get use to them with the k77. Still not sure. The 125s do have a little more refined sound for sure. 

 

I had a Emotiva pre umc-1  with a separate  sherwood power amp on the corns. Now I’m using an elite sc-55 avr (that I hah in my main ht) I didn’t like the umc-1 auto eq (mic set up) so I eq by ear. The umc-1 has a great digital on screen eq. A lot better than the one on the elite sc-55. But the macc auto eq mic set up on the sc-55 is light years better than the umc-1 mic set up.

 

My point is the auto eq on what I have now (sc-55 Macc) run with the 125s bumps the high end area up on a lot compared to how it ends up set after  auto eq when I run it with the k77 in there. Not sure why I didn’t think of that before with the corns  (being the 77 is hotter than the 125s and should have been eq accordingly). Probably cause I didn’t use the auto eq on the umc1 with the corns. Anyways not sure yet but think I might like them better with the 125 in my 78ls. 

 

I’m going to do at min Bobs caps or I might ask Dean his advise, and if he isn’t to busy and see if he can work his magic (I have read about). I understand Bobs caps is getting them back to factory stat and Dean would be that and an a bit of an upgrade as well (just was what I’ve gathered from reading on here. Sorry if I’m mistaken. Please correct anyone if wrong). Not sure yet If I’m going to mail them out to Bob or Dean (if there not to busy) or try and do it myself.

 

Are there other updates Bob does on these I’m not considering?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  If the crossovers are in good shape, the sound from K-55 is not a limiting factor. 

  The electronics, room, and lastly the music are where you can get improvements.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crossover re-cap #1  K-55 in good shape is a keeper. There is one supposed to be better from John Allen  but people I trust to give me the straight answer and have listened say the Atlas is very good and the Allen not worth the extra money for the very slight gain. Now you have to compare apples to apples so yes your 40 year old K-55 atlas might not sound as good as a new one would. Your recent or current Atlas is the best bang for the buck.

 

  That K-77 needs to go away. If whatever aftermarket tweeter you stick in there does not solve your sibilant or shrill problem try sticking an L-Pad in there. It can make a huge difference.

 

  Sidewall resonance is a real problem and you might need to brace them. It is not just one thing to make them right and when you get them right they are awesome speakers.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Crossover re-cap #1  K-55 in good shape is a keeper. There is one supposed to be better from John Allen  but people I trust to give me the straight answer and have listened say the Atlas is very good and the Allen not worth the extra money for the very slight gain. Now you have to compare apples to apples so yes your 40 year old K-55 atlas might not sound as good as a new one would. Your recent or current Atlas is the best bang for the buck.

 

  That K-77 needs to go away. If whatever aftermarket tweeter you stick in there does not solve your sibilant or shrill problem try sticking an L-Pad in there. It can make a huge difference.

 

  Sidewall resonance is a real problem and you might need to brace them. It is not just one thing to make them right and when you get them right they are awesome speakers.

Great stuff thanks. Can you talk more on the sidewall resonance? Are you talking about the bass horn? Can you be more specific on what and where  bracing can help? You lost me completely on the last paragraph other than the awesome speaker part. Thanks..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Panelhead said:

  If the crossovers are in good shape, the sound from K-55 is not a limiting factor. 

  The electronics, room, and lastly the music are where you can get improvements.

What electronics do you see as biggest? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record the k55 is one of my favorite sounding drivers. I really don’t see me making any kinda change. Was just really curious being that the cornscalas I’ve seen on here rarely seem to use the k55.  Or is that not that case?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cinema_head said:

Great stuff thanks. Can you talk more on the sidewall resonance? Are you talking about the bass horn? Can you be more specific on what and where  bracing can help? You lost me completely on the last paragraph other than the awesome speaker part. Thanks..

The 18mm plywood used on the sidewalls vibrates when you turn those La Scalas up. Try this turn it up fairly loud and then press in on the sides with your hands and you will hear a difference. That is resonance. Recently I rebuilt a set of LSI's with 25mm thick plywood and it was a whole different world. I don't have a link right at hand but there are posts around here that talk about bracing between the dog house and side walls and there used to be an aftermarket kit made for this. It is a well know problem and it is why Klipsch eventually went to 1" material for the sidewalls on new La Scalas.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cinema_head said:

For the record the k55 is one of my favorite sounding drivers. I really don’t see me making any kinda change. Was just really curious being that the cornscalas I’ve seen on here rarely seem to use the k55.  Or is that not that case?

Two different speaker types and not a valid thing to compare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cinema_head said:

And Dave is the atlas driver you mention is that the k55? 

Atlas made those and they still do make them I believe and also market them as an Atlas PD-5VH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Two different speaker types and not a valid thing to compare.

 

4 minutes ago, Dave A said:

The 18mm plywood used on the sidewalls vibrates when you turn those La Scalas up. Try this turn it up fairly loud and then press in on the sides with your hands and you will hear a difference. That is resonance. Recently I rebuilt a set of LSI's with 25mm thick plywood and it was a whole different world. I don't have a link right at hand but there are posts around here that talk about bracing between the dog house and side walls and there used to be an aftermarket kit made for this. It is a well know problem and it is why Klipsch eventually went to 1" material for the sidewalls on new La Scalas.

So were would the bracing go? Inside the doghouse or in the area that’s open from the back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Two different speaker types and not a valid thing to compare.

The la scala and the cornscala? Or the 55 and the atlas you mentioned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braces for side walls:

vs7.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my opinion but the ct-120 sounds significantly better/smoother than the ct-125 and the new mid driver that Crites has is an incredible drop in replacement that sounds awesome. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Cinema_head said:

The la scala and the cornscala? Or the 55 and the atlas you mentioned?

The LaScala and Cornscalla

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...