La scala mid driver

15 minutes ago, Deang said:

Yes. It surprises me that someone would infer that there is no audible difference between the single and two piece phase plug versions. 

The Atlas solder lugged, or two piece phase plug version is the one to have if you can find a pair. The A-55-G is also nice. 

What's the difference in the solder lugs and the PD-5VH made by Atlas?

I agree.  I can hear the differences in those drivers.  I have not yet heard the "G" Bob is selling.

But I would replace the exponential horns with tractrix before I would change drivers.  I got lucky and wound up with a pair of Dave Harris Fastracs.  Those made a big difference IMHO.

Not counting the K-55-M, they are all Atlas PD-5VH. When buying used, the terminals are just an easy way to figure out what you're buying without removing the plate. The soldered lugs have the two piece phase plug, the spring loaded terminal versions do not.

The new PD-5VH, or K-55-X; has soldered lugs, but is like the old spring loaded type (single phase plug), which are also basically clones of the old Western Electric WE555.

• Like 1

Just now, Deang said:

Not counting the K-55-M, they are all Atlas PD-5VH. When buying used, the terminals are just an easy way to figure out what you're buying without removing the plate. The soldered lugs have the two piece phase plug, the spring loaded terminal versions do not.

The new PD-5VH, or K-55-X; has soldered lugs, but is like the old spring loaded type (single phase plug), which are also basically clones of the old Western Electric WE555.

Thank you Mr. Butterfly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mark1101 said:

I agree.  I can hear the differences in those drivers.  I have not yet heard the "G" Bob is selling.

But I would replace the exponential horns with tractrix before I would change drivers.  I got lucky and wound up with a pair of Dave Harris Fastracs.  Those made a big difference IMHO.

Unless of course one prefers the K-400, and there are a lot of those folks. 

Dave's horns provides a 2dB reduction in gain. Couple that with Al's 6dB down -- and you now have a nice tinkle boom speaker.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I have a pair there now but they are going to be pulled. It must be La Scala month as I have glommed onto two sets of LSI's and will be picking up a nice LS BR set when it quits raining. I will be using the rest of my soldered lugs to upgrade these.

Long time lurker, first-time poster. Anyway, people have mentioned the A-55G from Crites. I used it as a drop in for my Klf 20s and it does sound a lot better. The distortion is incredibly low so the music always sounds quieter than what it actually is. It also images really well. Since my Klfs are on the skinnier side it made it even better that the driver makes it sound like I'm listening to a wider speaker. It also is a little tamer. By saying that I mean that it is likely that it is a few dB less than your current midrange in terms of sensitivity. Whether that is a good thing is up to you.

• Like 2

My beater LS had a pair of EV 1828R drivers on some EV 8hd horns. On the k400 horns they sound ok but I've not done any freq. sweeps. The diaphragm is a little smaller the the Atlas, but they will still play low.

Bruce

2 hours ago, MoreCowbell said:

It also is a little tamer. By saying that I mean that it is likely that it is a few dB less than your current midrange in terms of sensitivity. Whether that is a good thing is up to you.

Less cowbell. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

What's the difference in the solder lugs and the PD-5VH made by Atlas?

You sly dog, posting and texting simultaneously to better your position in the discussion.  LOL

18 hours ago, Deang said:

Dave's horns provides a 2dB reduction in gain. Couple that with Al's 6dB down -- and you now have a nice tinkle boom speaker.

Just confirming that you're referring to the Fastrac.  

18 hours ago, Deang said:

What Deang wrote gives me the heebee-jeebees (sp?).  The single phase plug is like the WE-555.  It must be that Deang talking about just the phase plug.  The drivers overall are by no means a clone of the WE-555.  I have seen the "clone" word used elsewhere and not restricted to the phase plug. 

The WE 555 has a field coil instead of a permanent magnet.  The early ones at least had an aluminum diaphragm.  The surrounds are different.  

Looking around the Internet I see that an original 555 commands very high prices including up to $7000 (asking price ?).  There is mention of businesses who will make you a clone of a 555 but I'll estimate one will cost $5000. 

http://www.audioanthology.com/audio1.html

and the first page of one of WE's patents attached.

1707544.pdf

• Like 2

Lol. 

Yes, I think we all have grown lazy with our use of the word "clone".

I should have said "based on". I was loosely quoting Jim Hunter. 

I did find this: 

I have heard that the Atlas K-55-V, introduced in 1961, was supposed to be a 555 clone, albeit with a perm. magnet and phenolic diaphragm...

22 hours ago, Cinema_head said:

Mine are the 55v.  The description on those on his website seem pretty nice.  

The 125vs the 120. What’s your take on how it’s an improvement? 

For me no "ringing" very silky smooth sounding.  My wife (anti audiophile) admitted to noticing a more pleasant difference in sound as well (unsolicited)  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Deang said:

Unless of course one prefers the K-400, and there are a lot of those folks. 

Yes, many prefer the stock horns.

My setup with the Fastracs and ALKs not only reduce the mid horn but also reduces the tweeter.  You forgot that part.   The result is a lascala with a nice balanced top end but that actually sounds like it makes some bass.  :smile: