MEH Synergy

35 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I didn't say it had to be small or horizontal. A processor will dictate what is sent where (and based on how sound is mixed/broadcasted in your case) and a proper center with processing will likely sound better for movies and dialogue than a stereo setup.  

Right and I didn't feel like you were saying that. Was just giving my opinion on it. I agreed with your post just disagreed in terms of some examples I've experienced. A 4.1 set up (L/R/RS/LS/sw). imo works better in most rooms I see unless the center channel is the same, or as good (with matching drivers) as the L/R. This is normally not the case until you get to big centers. And even then debatable. To the avr its called a phantom center. All the center info is sent to the L/R you lose nothing in terms of mix/broadcast. Now if the L/R are far apart it becomes an issue. It can also be an issue sitting far out of the sweet spot.

An example If I put a rc-62 in-between my LSs it would absolutely be a step down then running a phantom (2 LSs). Now a heresy imo would still be a step down but would be getting closer. Really anything but a 3rd LS would be a step back. Unless its a set up with the L/R spread far apart. Then Id say a heresy can start to be a plus. 

14 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

You want the corns for your main set up don't you? 

No, for a second setup.  These legacy's arent doing it for me the way I expected them to..... I decided I'm going to build Crites cornscalas (which I have never tried).   I don't prefer the sound of the legacies with the damping control (messes with mids and highs) and without it pulled out as far as I can into the room the bass is overloading the room. Bass doesn't sound right with EQ or with ports blocked.  I couldn't resist giving them another go as they sounded wonderful in a previous much larger room I had.... Oh well. Was worth a shot. They sound great with some material and with other genres.... Not so much.  I think the cornscalas will fit the bill nicely.   The wife is correct also and I hadn't thought of this. These legacies are very heavy and tall. As such they are top heavy and present a real level of danger to an infant/toddler.... 

12 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

No, for a second setup.  These legacy's arent doing it for me the way I expected them to..... I decided I'm going to build Crites cornscalas (which I have never tried).   I don't prefer the sound of the legacies with the damping control (messes with mids and highs) and without it pulled out as far as I can into the room the bass is overloading the room. Bass doesn't sound right with EQ or with ports blocked.  I couldn't resist giving them another go as they sounded wonderful in a previous much larger room I had.... Oh well. Was worth a shot. They sound great with some material and with other genres.... Not so much.  I think the cornscalas will fit the bill nicely.   The wife is correct also and I hadn't thought of this. These legacies are very heavy and tall. As such they are top heavy and present a real level of danger to an infant/toddler.... 

You have had some pretty good speakers in that set up (khorn la scalas 396 and those). Might be room, placement , and mlp giving you troubles. just a thought. 

5 hours ago, Westcoastdrums said:

Not sure what size your room is, I Had the same issues with bass overload. I also had an issue with cornscalas being to much "IN YOUR FACE" with the mid horn. I ended up going with an Open Baffle design. The bass is very articulate, defined and surprisingly deep. while the top end with a full range driver presents a HUGE soundstage, gobs of detail retrieval, and a lifelike presentation.  My room is 13 x 16 with 8' ceilings  I built my speakers but there are some supposed damn nice OB designs offered now.  I know a couple folks using them  that came from klipsch and they are very happy.  Just a thought

32 minutes ago, joessportster said:

Not sure what size your room is, I Had the same issues with bass overload. I also had an issue with cornscalas being to much "IN YOUR FACE" with the mid horn. I ended up going with an Open Baffle design. The bass is very articulate, defined and surprisingly deep. while the top end with a full range driver presents a HUGE soundstage, gobs of detail retrieval, and a lifelike presentation.  My room is 13 x 16 with 8' ceilings  I built my speakers but there are some supposed damn nice OB designs offered now.  I know a couple folks using them  that came from klipsch and they are very happy.  Just a thought

I have wondered and heard good things.  I actually like the slight aggressive "in your face" more than the laid back sound.   These legacies are in the middle with insane bass. I thought this controller that they came with would fix the problem. It fixed the bass, but made kids and highs worse.   Not a good trade off.  I already knew the bass would be overwhelming without it.   I really like the Cornwall III, heresy III and the 396s in here.   396s and heresys need a sub for me.   Cornwalls don't. As much as many here don't liek Cornwalls, I do. Hence my interest in the cornscala.  I'm gonam talk to Justin weber about em today and I'm sure hell give me the rundown I need on em. Thanks for the input from you two though, I appreciate it. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Westcoastdrums said:

I have wondered and heard good things.  I actually like the slight aggressive "in your face" more than the laid back sound.   These legacies are in the middle with insane bass. I thought this controller that they came with would fix the problem. It fixed the bass, but made kids and highs worse.   Not a good trade off.  I already knew the bass would be overwhelming without it.   I really like the Cornwall III, heresy III and the 396s in here.   396s and heresys need a sub for me.   Cornwalls don't. As much as many here don't liek Cornwalls, I do. Hence my interest in the cornscala.  I'm gonam talk to Justin weber about em today and I'm sure hell give me the rundown I need on em. Thanks for the input from you two though, I appreciate it. 

I had some good conversations with md5150 on bobs type B conscalas. He's owned 4 of them and has some good info on them. I was close to buying a pair before I bought what I have now. You should send him a pm as well. He was extremely helpful, and very willing to share his experience. 

I don't know many around here who owned and straight up don't like cornwalls (I'm sure there are some). Maybe we've read some different threads? They do fall short in terms of the big wow sound Ive experienced with 904s and la scalas. But other than those two the corns are as good, and mostly better than anything else I've owned or heard. 

• Thanks 1