Audio Technical Theater of the Absurd

Dave A

Sure.  A new and separate sound source as far as the brain can determine.  I'd guess that in terms of on-axis time alignment it's probably not too terrible because the sound had already travelled that far, though I suppose there could be some phase anomalies.  Certainly dispersion problems.  Off-axis, though, time alignment would be shot to hell as things become triangulated.  What that would do for smearing of total in-room response, well, a huge step backward.  May as well have spent 10k instead of 100...

39 minutes ago, glens said:

Sure.  A new and separate sound source as far as the brain can determine.  I'd guess that in terms of on-axis time alignment it's probably not too terrible because the sound had already travelled that far, though I suppose there could be some phase anomalies.  Certainly dispersion problems.  Off-axis, though, time alignment would be shot to hell as things become triangulated.  What that would do for smearing of total in-room response, well, a huge step backward.  May as well have spent 10k instead of 100...

Yeah, I wasn't happy with the diffraction caused by reflected waves bouncing off the top of the speaker cabinet when I aligned super tweeters with the horns. I was getting information cut off at heights below the cabinet top and, like you infer, what sounds like less defined imaging above the cabinet. Then I remembered a physics lab where we found several in-phase resonance points in front of the aligned one. So I've been experimenting with those forward points and it seems like flush with the motorboard is a resonance point; not time aligned, but in phase and not being diffracted. It still feels like a compromise but one speaker makers have been making forever. I'm still experimenting to find if it's possible to be both time aligned and not reflecting but I'm afraid it will mean raising the tweeter and making a lens for it. If I keep going with this, pretty soon you'll be putting pictures of my speakers on this post...

10 hours ago, glens said:

Raising it surely introduces different issues as well since the (largely unobtainable) ideal situation has both drivers occupying the same point in space... 

Have you actually tried aligning the mids and tweeters manually? Or you just know it will not sound good?

I know the imaging on my La Scalas is much better with my tweeters on small baffles, drivers aligned with the tweeters at the back of the cabinet. I'm probably deaf enough the much over the crossover point it probably smearing and rolling off.

3 hours ago, Marvel said:

Have you actually tried aligning the mids and tweeters manually? Or you just know it will not sound good?

I know the imaging on my La Scalas is much better with my tweeters on small baffles, drivers aligned with the tweeters at the back of the cabinet. I'm probably deaf enough the much over the crossover point it probably smearing and rolling off.

In your sitting position, if your ears are higher than the cabinet top, then you're probably ok, or if you sit far enough away from the speakers. In my case, I sit pretty close to my speakers and my ear is level with the horn, so setting the tweeter back, although aligned, cuts off much of the sound. In a near-field setup, I really get an immediate sense of what the speakers are doing. Really, every situation has its own variables.

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

Or you just know it will not sound good?

Well, there's that, too...

Because I've understood the phenomenon for quite some time, I realize that the negative effects it usually introduces are going to diminish the positive effects of what you're talking about.  In other words, by "solving" one problem there can be the creation of another which didn't exist prior to the one solution.  Knowing this is likely going to happen (call it "expectation bias" if you will) leads me to be content with things as they are.  And maybe it has its root in laziness...

So I just do the little, easy, things like make sure I've got decent connections with my mundane copper zip cord, put the speaker cabinets in a suitable location, cue up some music and enjoy it for what it is.  Likely as not I'm hearing the inverse of whatever the mix technician was correcting for with his system.  Sometimes it sound good, sometimes bad.  But the songs entertain nonetheless.  Once in a great while I'll spend time listening to music I don't enjoy so much but the overall sonic experience is very good.  That's rare, though.

I've wasted plenty of time dicking around with things through the years.  Nowadays my bias expects time to be a finite thing so I waste it on the simple things as much as possible.  Even if that's watching television programs I'd never choose but my darling wife enjoys them immensely.  And I enjoy her company, so there's that...

Oh, have a quick look at https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction, I just did and it looks good to me.  Check out the photo of the waves on the water at the inlet.  Sound does the same thing.

OK folks here we are Thanksgiving morning and it is a day to be grateful to live in the best country on the face of the planet. It is also home to amazing but true science and the audio field has benefited from this in many ways. Of course Klipsch is very high on that list and I would like to present another somewhat obscure but totally awesome audio product that could very well change sound as we know it for all time. Still available for purchase and for all you scoffers has a money back guarantee so you can't lose.

http://machinadynamica.com/machina60.htm

MACHINA DYNAMICA'S HOME PAGE

Machina Dynamica's Teleportation Tweak
Long-Distance Audio and Video System Enhancement
The Only Audio Product that doesn't Require Shipping

Copyright 2007 ... Geoff Kait, Machina Dynamica

Ray_Gun.jpg

Machina Dynamica's Teleportation Tweak $60

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shores ... Burning with the fires of Orc.

The Teleportation Tweak comes with a 30-day money back guarantee.

pixel.gif

How the Teleportation Tweak Works

Buy The Teleportation Tweak with Paypal or check/MO (payable to Geoff Kait) prior to calling Machina Dynamica via landline or cell phone. For Paypal payment use the Paypal button above.

"I noted a vast improvement in depth and staging. The tone is pure,
correct-sounding and natural. In fact, I have never heard sound so real.
The Teleportation Tweak is a thing of indescribable beauty."
- Customer, Sept 2007

See More Teleportation Tweak Customer Comments

Geoff Kait -- Aerospace Engineering (theoretical fluid dynamics and propulsion, statistical thermodynamics, nuclear physics, indeterminate structures). Undergrad thesis: Preliminary design of low-thrust engine for interplanetary travel utilizing momentum transfer mechanisms in highly magnetic metal crystal bombarded by high-energy ions. Work experience: satellite operations; radar data analysis; aerodynamics of high-performance aircraft; reentry vehicle dynamics; radio communications; satellite communications; spread spectrum communications. He incorporated Machina Dynamica in 1998; he designed Nimbus Sub-Hertz Isolation Platform, Promethean Base, Baby Promethean Mini Isolators, Brilliant Pebbles, Tru-Tone Duplex Covers, Codename Turquoise II CD Tray Masking Kit, Codename Top Banana II Blu Ray Tray Masking Kit, the Teleportation Tweak, Clever Little Clock, Codename White Poppy, Codename Blue Meanies, Frog Jump in Water Tweak, The Super Intelligent Chip, the Diamond Light Crystal High Frequency Clarifier, Spectrum Purifier CD Coloring System, Blu Spectrum Purifier Blu Ray Coloring System, Flying Saucers for Windows, Flying Saucers for Wall Outlets, Pretzel Logic Reef Knot Device, Dark Matter CD Optical Coating and the Ultra Signature Version of the Clever Little Clock. He is the Author of How the Intelligent Chip Works - The Definitive Explanation and The Real Story of How the Clever Little Clock Works.

The Teleportation Tweak is a phenomenal invention discovered and developed by Machina Dynamica for improving audio and video systems remotely over long distances. The fundamental principles of operation of The Teleportation Tweak are quantum teleportation and mind-matter interaction. The operational details of the Teleportation Tweak are the proprietary property of Machina Dynamica.

The Teleportation Tweak is independent of distance and will work anywhere in the world you happen to be located. We have performed The Teleportation Tweak many times for distances between 1000 and 4000 miles, even for distances greater than 10,000 miles. The Teleportation Tweak works equally well using your landline phone or cell phone.

The Teleportation Tweak has a profound effect on the sound and video picture: (1) Clearer, (2) More information, (3) Greater frequency extension and (4) Lower distortion. The Teleportation Tweak is obtained during a phone call to Machina Dynamica from your landline phone or cell phone; you can make the call from any room in your house. The audio or video system does not have to be ON at the time the call is made. The tweak itself takes about 20 seconds and will sound like a series of mechanical pulses. You can listen to the Teleportation Tweak over the phone or you can set the phone down, your call. 🙂

The Teleportation Tweak will also improve any video system in your house, including plasma, LED, and high end projection systems -- better contrast, color saturation, color fidelity and definition.

It is not necessary for your audio or video system to be ON at the time of the telephone call. However, for ease of A/B comparing the Teleportation Tweak before and after the telephone call, you should turn the audio and/or video system ON prior to the call and allow it to warm up the customary time. Then you can evaluate a few favorite tracks before and after The Teleportation Tweak is performed. You can also evaluate the picture quality of the video system before and after the call.

You will find that the effects of The Teleportation Tweak are instantaneous and that the improvement to sound quality is immediately audible. In fact, if the system is playing at the time of the telephone call, you will be able to hear the improvement taking place while The Teleportation Tweak is being performed. You will find The Teleportation Tweak excels in 3-dimensionality, lushness, inner detail and air. The picture quality of any video system in the house will also be improved -- better contrast and integrity of color and blacker black. You will especially notice better skin tones, saturation of colors, shininess of surfaces, textures of fabrics, etc.

2 hours ago, Dave A said:

... I would like to present another somewhat obscure but totally awesome audio product that could very well change sound as we know it for all time.

That's almost as good as the old Joly Website. Anybody else remember Joly?

On 11/27/2019 at 11:34 PM, glens said:

I realize that the negative effects it usually introduces are going to diminish the positive effects of what you're talking about.  In other words, by "solving" one problem there can be the creation of another which didn't exist prior to the one solution.

I fully agree with this, but what if the positive still outweighs the negative aspect?

I've probably lost some of the high end over the past few years, but aligning the two has been far better than not having done it.

I've just measured (physically) a horn and driver I got from an old Yamaha cabinet. It is the same length as a selenium horn I have for my 2 inch PAudio drivers (K69A). The Yammy driver is a 3/4 inch throat, rated to 20K, although I've never found the actual spec for it. So... I am going to mount it to the same baffle as my selenium, and not have to worry about any diffraction effects. I'll have to measure the response between the two, but I had tried it over theK400 before (instead of my CT125, and couldn't hear a difference.

Bruce

10 hours ago, Marvel said:

I fully agree with this, but what if the positive still outweighs the negative aspect?

And I fully agree with that.  So long as the net gained benefit is at a level greater than that of what we (at least in my case anyway) experience within a day-to-day change in audio perception, then it's worthwhile.  In other words, if it's both immediately and dramatically apparent...  A subtile nuance, likely not worth pursuing further.

• Like 1

Asked for clarification on the Teleportation Tweak and got this reply back.

" Without giving away any secrets I can tell you the following.
1. There is no limit to the distance the TT will work. It would almost certainly work on Mars or the Moon is there were any audiophiles there.
2, Not only does the customer’s system not have to be ON at the time the TT is performed but the caller doesn’t have to be home. In fact, he can be calling from another city or country or from an aircraft.
3.The caller will find his reception has improved a couple of bars after the TT has been performed
4. If the customer’s system is ON and playing music at the time I do the TT I can instantly hear the improvement over the phone as I’m doing it.
5.The customer is free to listen to the TT or not. Some choose not to listen. 😬
6. The TT is permanent until the customer replaces the phone. In which case the TT must be done on the new phone.
7. For best results all phones in the house should get the TT. "

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...