Vintage Klipsch Cornwall

Mostec

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, HeadGeek said:

RE: Builder initials

I took a look at mine and there are only two letters O and D.

That's a nice piece of history to know

"OD" is Ola Mae Davis....she sanded your speaker cabs.  I actually had Ola Mae sand one of my "flame twins" HDBL's when I built them....the other one was sanded by Frances...they were best friends and the best sanders in the sanding room...so each one of them got to sand one of my pair.

Builder initials and sander initials were stamped into the rear edge of the side panel within an inch or so of the  top of that panel.  The panel this was done on was, as you face the rear of the speaker, the side panel to your left.  Because the sanders, especially on the birch plywood versions of the speakers, had to ensure that the rear edges of those panels were smooth without any tiny voids showing...they slathered the rear edges all around with a thinned down woof filler...using a putty knife.  Once that dried and set up, the sanded the rear edges of the cabinets.  So, in doing this, the stamped-in builder initial(s) often got filled with that putty, and were sometimes even sanded off, especially if they had not been stamped-in deep enough!  So, it is sometimes difficulty to find the builder initials because they tend to be filled with putty and/or not very prominent....as compared to the sander initials.  Everything else that was stamped into the speaker rear edges, was done in final assembly:  "USA"  the serial number, and such.  When the move to MDF panels came along, the stamping of the rear edges ended, due to the stamping causing swelling of the MDF substrate on the rear edges.

• 2 years later...