KG1 "Signature" ?

creativepart

I went shopping in my attic today and found a pair of black KG1 Signature speakers (with signature stands). My usual speakers are B&W CM6 S2 and lately I've been thinking of trying something different. I remembered a couple of pairs of old speakers in my attic that hadn't been unboxed since a household move back in 2000.

Well, since I've been trolling the internet for something to replace my B&Ws someday I thought why not swap them out for these old forgotten speakers. SHOCK! They are not bad. In fact, they are much livelier than I ever remember them being. So, I decided to live with them for a week or so and that led me here.

My question is what does the "Signature" designation mean. I searched and can't find any description of KG1s that includes the word "Signature."

Perhaps it was a marketing ploy? I seem to remember getting the "Signature Stands" for free when I bought the speakers.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• Like 1

I remember after buying these I also bought a pair of walnut Heresy's with the separate angle bases. I owned an Ad Agency and put a stereo in the Artist work room. We had a huge long countertop probably 25' or more long with storage underneath. We put the Heresy's on top of the counter in the corners. There were 800 CDs on racks and we probably bought 5 new CDs a week for the Art Dept. Music played in there non-stop.

In 2000 the office moved to a new location and we had no room for the Heresy speakers. So, I gave them away to one of the designers on staff that helped with the move.  Dumb. Really dumb.

PS. I sold the business a while back and I'm retired now. I have all 800+ CDs still in boxes in the attic where I "found" these speakers. A few years ago I ripped all of the CDs to FLAK files and have them on a HD that makes up the basis of my Roon Library. I have ~400 vinyl LPs and mostly listen to vinyl. For digital I use Roon with my CD files, Tidal and Qubuz.

• 10 months later...

Just doing a search to replace a tweeter and found this thread (know I'm 10 months late)...

I have kg1 Sig Ed's as well, s/n 1622 and 1630 (same batch as yours, same tester & inspector). Have enjoyed them through the years. "Marketing ploy" could be the term used, but I thought it was cool to have PWK's signature at the base of the tricked-out stands.  Funny story: at one point in time, these were rear speakers in my A/V system.  I had it cranked up for some action movie, and the rear speaker had so much energy that it vibrated off its stand and fell about 8' to the floor.  It now has a big ol' dent on the front corner, but I consider it a badge of honor.

Kevin