D-Day Question

WMcD

Had I posted this before? I don't find it.

- ---- - - -- - 

Who am I?

I was commissioned as a Lieutenant in WWII and was wounded during the invasion of Normandy.  I shot two snipers and I received wounds from six bullets at Juno beach. One wound required amputation of the middle finger on my right hand. I later served as a pilot during the war and received many decorations.

After the war I became an actor and appeared in many productions including TV and movies.  Filming was done so as not to show my right hand and missing finger.

You have very likely seen my work.   I have passed away. 

WMcD  
  • Like 1

What famous U.S. pre-WWII child actor was a Glider Pilot for the D-Day Airborne operations and fought as an Infantry Officer after landing...he also flew glider troops many more times in WWII...and ended his acting career with a continuous role in a macabre television comedy series as somebody's uncle...name that hero!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HDBRbuilder said:

What famous U.S. pre-WWII child actor was a Glider Pilot for the D-Day Airborne operations and fought as an Infantry Officer after landing...he also flew glider troops many more times in WWII...and ended his acting career with a continuous role in a macabe television comedy series as somebody's uncle...name that hero!

MV5BMjE0NjgwNTYzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzc1ODU2._V1_.jpg

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, pmsummer said:

MV5BMjE0NjgwNTYzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzc1ODU2._V1_.jpg

AND...he was married to "America's Number-One WWII pin-up girl" ...too!...for a couple of years!  And if you think landing a glider on D-Day was rough...just imagine doing it in BURMA!!...numerous times!!...PRIOR TO D-Day!!

1626716859_BettyGrable.jpg.f175abba42e7a9a8c231db8189ac8691.jpg

I thought it interesting that James was a member of the Greatest Generation including a decorated war hero.  

Further, in watching TOS before this finger information got my attention I never had a inkling that it was missing. 

After the information it is not obvious that it is being hidden.

You can read his bio on Wikipedia.

Scotty and Vulcan Salute.jpg

• Like 1

It was not very well known that James was Canadian. 

There was a hint in the question in that Juno Beach was mentioned.    The Canadian Army took Juno. 

Diz gave a hint by adding "eh" which often used by Canadians (and UPers)  when a sentence solicits a positive response.  Isn't that true of Bob and Doug McKenzie, you hoser, eh?

WMcD

• Like 1

Ok, true story, we moved to Canada from Ohio when I was in grade three. I remember thinking they all talked so fast up here.

Within a week of school starting, one of the girls in my class took the time to explain to me “In Canada we don’t say huh, we say eh.”

My dad still says huh.

But he stopped griping about the taxes after his “free” open heart surgery. Yup, that’s where the money goes...

23 hours ago, geoff. said:

A jeep in a glider that crashed?

...I think I saw it in the movie!

Correct....cause of death: broken neck.  Somebody had the "bright idea" that since a Brigadier General would be aboard...they would add armor underneath the glider at the last minute...the addition of the armor plate caused the glider crash directly due to additional weight being added (IN THE WORST PLACE!!) along with the handling characteristics of the aircraft being changed so much!  Upon release, the glider almost immediately did a nose dive, with no way of recovering from the dive!  Upon impact the General's neck was snapped!