Center Channel RC-62 II, wondering about a possible upgrade?

Tom899

I swapped out my RB-81 II Bookshelf's for a pair of RF8000F's, and added a couple Emotiva amps for L/R and Center.

My current center channel is an RC-62 II (I've had going on 5 years). I'm wondering if an RP-504C would be an upgrade, or not so much? I watch movies and listen to 2-channel and multi-channel SACD. I usually stay between -15db - 8db. These levels seem loud and enjoyable. The RF8000F's are easier to listen to at these levels than the RB-81's were.

I'm in a basement that's fairly good size and open. I sit 13' from the front speakers. I included two pictures.

So, I'm wondering if a RP-504C center will have the same positive experience I had with my main upgrade (and how about timbre match). I know the only real way is to try one, but hoping for input from all, much appreciated!
Thanks,
Tom

P1000785_DxO.jpg

MK600133_DxO.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom899 said:

So, I'm wondering if a RP-504C center will have the same positive experience I had with my main upgrade (and how about timbre match). I know the only real way is to try one, but hoping for input from all, much appreciated!

Ask @imahawki78.

Bill

• Like 1

I would probably make the jump but as someone who has a heavy bias towards the HT side of things I'd want my front stage to be as matched as possible.  Ideally I'd run identical speakers behind an acoustically transparent screen but I don't have the setup for that so the matching CC from the same series is a close second.  You mention that you find the 8000s to be easier to listen to a bit louder than the old RB81.  I would predict that the better damped horn (compressed silicon vs. plastic) and the new rear vented tweeter play heavily into that so you're probably going to find the newer RP series center to similarly be easier on the ears.

• Like 2

Great room. Agree with the other posters timber match is huge and sounds like you like the sound better. Off topic those subs are in terrible spots. Sorry if im being a bit blunt but no reason to beat around the bush. They look cool yes but your wasting them. Concert floors you need good positions for those subs not cool looking spots. Awesome room 👍

I don't want to threadjack the OP but I did move two of my subs back to right next to the row of seating.  I can't put them behind the front row due to my room layout.  There is a riser behind the front row but next to the seating is a good second bet.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, imahawki78 said:

I don't want to threadjack the OP but I did move two of my subs back to right next to the row of seating.  I can't put them behind the front row due to my room layout.  There is a riser behind the front row but next to the seating is a good second bet.

Room, and lay out is always a battle for everyone. No matter how much research we do. Sometimes getting ours hands dirty is the only way to learn the lessons we read about. Bass on concrete is one of the bigger battles. Some I have seen build/buy like 4 huge 18" driver subs with massive power and stack them behind a screen. Like using a sledge hammer to pound a nail and is definitely a great way to battle concrete. Probably even the best way if your trying to keep a clean room free of speakers.

Short of a front wall of huge bass drivers and massive power. Near field is the concrete killer for low tactical bass. If feeling bass isn't desirable (a few people don't like it). Ignore my advise 👍

On the rc-62 question. I personally have owned this center (spent many many hours with it), also have two good friends who still own it. And although it would be hard to go back after my spoiled years with bigger and better. I really thought it was fantastic. Such a big jump from the rc52, and the even smaller reference and other centers I had owned. That said as close to a matching center to your mains is almost always a no brainer for this topic. 

If your avr has multi save room eq auto set ups ( So you can flip back and forth). Try disconnecting your center and running room eq (mic) on a separate save. It will set you up with a phantom center on that channel (all center info will run to your L/R). Hook your center back up then flip from one to the other (like save 1 and save 2) Mine is called audio memory on a elite sc-55. As you go back and forth the center will only be on on the save you have now. And will flip off when you go to save 2.

Note. Very important to make sure the speaker levels and distance levels are the same for both saves. Auto eq isn't always the same every time you run it. If there not the same the test is worthless. 

1 hour ago, Heritage_Head said:

I also recommend no center 

Me too. 7 years ago I got rid of my center channel speaker for movies. My LR is my home theater, and my 2 channel stereo room too. Hard to position a large center channel speaker with the stereo rack, A/V equipment, 65" tv, and now the Corns left and right front. I let my left/right do it all and it works quite well. Vocals locate at the tv, no issue there. They say 80% of the audio work in a  home theater/5.1 system is the center channel. So what center channel could compare to my Corns? A third Corn? (that isn't happening, no space left)

So for blu ray movies and digital tv sound I employ a 4.1 system. I sit pretty much dead center on the sofa, works for me. Today's signal processing/AVRs are smart enough to do a phantom center channel quite well.

Edit: In my case a single Heresy (set to small) would prob be a fine center channel speaker, but i still don't have the space with my setup as is.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Me too. 7 years ago I got rid of my center channel speaker for movies. My LR is my home theater, and my 2 channel stereo room too. Hard to position a large center channel speaker with the stereo rack, A/V equipment, 65" tv, and now the Corns left and right front. I let my left/right do it all and it works quite well. Vocals locate at the tv, no issue there. They say 80% of the audio work in a  home theater/5.1 system is the center channel. So what center channel could compare to my Corns? A third Corn? (that isn't happening, no space left)

So for blu ray movies and digital tv sound I employ a 4.1 system. I sit pretty much dead center on the sofa, works for me. Today's signal processing/AVRs are smart enough to do a phantom center channel quite well.

Edit: In my case a single Heresy (set to small) would prob be a fine center channel speaker, but i still don't have the space with my setup as is.

Rare I read that much and agree 100% with every word on any forum. Not sure that would be a complement or kinda scary for you 🙄.

Seriously though agreed. We share a very similar story. Its was cornwalls for me as well in a separate living room system. That I also ran 4.1 with herseys as rears. At first I thought it would be a compromise but I promised her I wouldn't go to crazy in this room.... Anyways I came to same conclusion. All the info with a phantom center was still being sent to the middle of the room. Like a voice in a 2ch system would. And then it made total sense. Ive ran 2 other phantom set ups with even bigger speakers sense and I'm convinced 👍

• Like 1