I want new speakers

guf

So this whole Klipsch thing for me was just a trial. A respected friend from another forum suggested to try a pair a Heresy III.  He said it would put the fun back into listening music instead of listening to gear.  After a few months I agree.  I love my modest, relatively inexpensive Heresy IIIs. And I use a powered Rythmik GR 12in sub.  Once I made the move to higher sensitivity speakers and low watt amps my speakers have been simpler and less expensive.  Starting with the entry level Heritage model makes me think there must be room for improvement. If getting the new La Scalas or K horns was the best for me I'd probably do it.   I'm not full retail rich but I make my music listening a priority, I tend to over spend to eliminate the wondering if I spent more would I be happier.  

my room is 13x19x10. I go back and forth with what I want to try?  First i was thinking New Forte III, then Cornwall III, then older Cornwall or Forte and do some upgrades,  then I was like just get the La Scala's II.  Then I'm considering an older pair of La Scalas and doing the upgrades. I have a few different amps 300b, 45s,  and single driver speakers, Omegas. I have the above mentioned sub and consider building a pair of open baffle subs.  So I'm kinda all over the place... but knowing I want to try something  new.

Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.  

• Like 2

• Moderators

All good choices, is there any way you could listen to some of these before deciding I know it's not your room but there is a pretty big difference in the models you named and what might fit your music style.

I was going to suggest a dealer where you could listen, like Upscale Audio but seen it was a good way from SF, maby another dealer or person on the forum where you could listen?

There is such a difference you need to hear them for your own good. 

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/

If nothing else go to his youtube pages where he describes some Klipsch models.

Just one of his reviews

• Like 5

There is another Heritage dealer in CA that's a little bit closer to SF as compared to Upscale Audio.  I believe Paradigm has some Lascalas in downtown Sacramento and some other Heritage units up at their Roseville store. 

I've auditioned some speakers at Upscale in LaVerne CA and his folks are Very knowledgable about all things Audiophile.  

• Like 2

Thanks guys!  I appreciate the input. I don't have perfect corners because of a fire place.  There is a used pair of K horns kinda local so i have been considering them that past 24 hours.  I just don't think they will work with my space.  I'm going to check out the used La scalas tomorrow, the guys is asking 1200$  I should start a new thread or research what to look for. Demoing is weird not being in my home.  I maybe better off going to someones home instead of a dealer. And from what it seems like is some people have as many speakers as the dealers.  :) 

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, guf said:

I don't have perfect corners because of a fire place.  There is a used pair of K horns kinda local so i have been considering them that past 24 hours.  I just don't think they will work with my space.

You don't need corners anymore for a Khorn.  The new Khorns come with enclosed backs from the factory and older Khorns are easily modified.

Can you tell us more of the local Khorns?  Pics, price, s/n etc?

• Moderators
31 minutes ago, guf said:

There is a used pair of K horns kinda local so i have been considering them that past 24 hours.  I just don't think they will work with my space.

When we were looking for our last speakers we traveled to many states to a few forum members houses to listen to them and the Klipsch listening room in Hope. And our room (addition) was designed with the idea of Khorns.

When we got home we were more confused than before we left. Every room sounded different, and not by a small amount. Then I realized how much the Khorn uses a room differently than almost any other speaker, so much so the room can give a great sound or just OK. It's not the speaker but what the room does to help or hurt the Khorn, it's true with any speaker but with the Khorn it can be a huge difference.  

Just our experience

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, guf said:

these are the local ish pair. Asking 5 grand.

Those look to be in very good condition. I would be patient, because you might find some others at a lower price, but go listen to them if it is convenient for you. Hopefully they can be placed in corners for your listening demo. I have Klipschorns and love them, but I also recommend auditioning the La Scala II and the Forte III.

11 hours ago, guf said:

So this whole Klipsch thing for me was just a trial. A respected friend from another forum suggested to try a pair a Heresy III.  He said it would put the fun back into listening music instead of listening to gear.  After a few months I agree.  I love my modest, relatively inexpensive Heresy IIIs. And I use a powered Rythmik GR 12in sub.  Once I made the move to higher sensitivity speakers and low watt amps my speakers have been simpler and less expensive.  Starting with the entry level Heritage model makes me think there must be room for improvement. If getting the new La Scalas or K horns was the best for me I'd probably do it.   I'm not full retail rich but I make my music listening a priority, I tend to over spend to eliminate the wondering if I spent more would I be happier.  

my room is 13x19x10. I go back and forth with what I want to try?  First i was thinking New Forte III, then Cornwall III, then older Cornwall or Forte and do some upgrades,  then I was like just get the La Scala's II.  Then I'm considering an older pair of La Scalas and doing the upgrades. I have a few different amps 300b, 45s,  and single driver speakers, Omegas. I have the above mentioned sub and consider building a pair of open baffle subs.  So I'm kinda all over the place... but knowing I want to try something  new.

Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.  

Is there somthing your not liking especially about the sound? harsh, not enough detail, to warm, too cold, some spark just generally lacking you've told us nothing other than you have hankering to change something (the worst reason by the way)

Here's my 2 cents. TBH in my experience especially seeing as you're using a sub (and this will be maybe a little unpopular but it will save you money) your not going to notice much difference if at all, they all have the same house sound. Yes! maybe just maybe a little more refined the more you spend, but to be honest really all your buying is a bigger box which can produce slightly more efficient music for bigger rooms which in all honesty to your room is not that big (unless thats meters!) there heresy should be doing a grand job. They're pretty much all using the same drivers with the exception of the k horns and la scala's and even then the difference will be subtle at best .

I would 100% do it if your trading in the subwoofer the differences won't be subtle at all otherwise i would leave well alone. But pick a budget and stick to it remember you need physical boundarys for some of the models. 

In all honesty i would look into (which you haven't mentioned) your source and/or amp and see if there is any more improvements to be made there something more synergistic, class a single ended, tube amp, tube rolling, betting digital front end, better streaming unit, better dac, something as simple as further optimising speaker placement (this can always be bettered in many homes). To me it sounds like your wanting to upgrade for the sake of it and in my experience thats the worst reason and always end up in a spiral (i know form experiance and your mind is already in a spiral) it needs a clear end. See how far you can push the Heresy's AND NEVER EVER over spend forget what's higher up in the range! (you dont buy an audi a6 and then buy lambo because you buy the best out there) never pay the price on the ticket theres always a deal be had. I learnt along time ago people will spend your money quicker than water on a forum and fule the fire for G.A.S.

If anything at all!, id add a second subwoofer to even out the bass response in your room, simple. 

First of all, the Khorns you showed are WAY too high, the seller obviously does not know the market, or is just trying to get lucky.....$2500 to $3000 MAX.

Second, since you already own a sub and are considering building some others, and considering your room, I would go with a nice pair of used La Scalas that you are happy with both functionally AND cosmetically.  You can always do driver and crossover updates in time (and it is worthwhile, for sure).  Your amps are perfect for La Scalas, just wait till you hear the difference between them and your Heresy III......Not sure what your room is like relative to reflective surfaces (walls, floor, windows), type of furniture and placement, but this is something that you should also consider for possible improvement/rearrangement.   

Please keep us posted on your journey.  Have fun.

• Like 4

@guf,

On 6/10/2019 at 5:46 PM, guf said:

If getting the new La Scalas or K horns was the best for me I'd probably do it.   I'm not full retail rich but I make my music listening a priority, I tend to over spend to eliminate the wondering if I spent more would I be happier.  

If you have the $$$ for new Klipschorns, you can get the ones with the new tweeters (introduced a few months ago).

But, if you have the money, you may be able to special order Klipsch Jubilees, reportedly an even better speaker, perhaps at the same or even  lower cost.  The Jubilee was meant to be a Klipschorn II, the last speaker worked on by Paul W. Klipsch, and co-designed by Roy Delgado.  @Chris A, on this forum knows a lot about them (and has them), and knows the various configurations.  @Coytee , and many others on the forum have them, too.  The Klipsch Jubilees are fully horn loaded, with minimum distortion, and don't have to be in a corner, but it's best to have them very near one..  They may or may not be acceptable visually, due to their size, but they can be put behind an acoustically transparent scrim, in which case you wouldn't need the finished wood front.  My Home Theater/Library/Music Listening room has such a scrim hiding my center channel (Belle Klipsch) and subwoofer.  In the center section, there is nothing behind the scrim except speakers and diffusers, in a bump-out that extends Belle- deep behind the scrim.  The rest of the wall, also covered by the fabric, is solid.  Audyssey, calibrated with the fabric in place, and with the AT projection screen down, renders the two fabrics very transparent (about -1 dB at 15K, IIRC).  All of those geometric ghosts on the wall, ceiling and floor are artifacts of resizing the photo to the smallest possible size.image.png.940312c00ad182029d33f2729d4409e4.png   

If I had the $$$, I'd get Jubilees, below:

image.thumb.png.1ca8de10772e145118f1ecd7601feffd.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1