I want new speakers

guf

@guf 

You are way ahead of the Klipsch curve (rabbit hole) most of us slide into!

You have the cash and the foresight to go big sooner than later. There is no replacement for displacement!

The amount of time and effort most of us (read “myself”) have expended before making the leap of faith to an ALL HORN speaker cannot be recouped, whereas the cost of a fairly priced used pair of LaScalas or Khorns can always be.

LaScalas are a game changer, and at half the price of Khorns.

My only regret so far on this journey is not snagging a pair of Khorns for a decent price when I had the chance, twice!

Of note... it is my understanding from what I have read on this (insert appropriate praise here) forum, you can make “false corners” for Khorns, eliminating the need for a perfect room.

Now, about Jubilees...?

I can only dream, but you...

• Like 2

Thanks for all the input. The La Scalas II are my first choice. but I'm totally open to getting a pair of 1s.  I did spend some time reading about he Jubilee.  I agree with what someone said about the Corwall, Forte will sound similar so the next logical should be La Scalas.  I guess the main reason I want something different isn't because the speakers are lacking or deficient, but just trying to squeeze a bit more our of my45 amp. I do think my front end is up to par and the speakers is where I can make the biggest impact with a change.  enclosed is a picture where you can see the fireplace is in the way of having better options.  but I can place a larger speaker at the edge of the carpet basically where the Heresy are.  

btw...thats otis 

IMG_2565.HEIC

IMG_2564 copy.jpg

Edited by guf
photo

3 hours ago, Shakeydeal said:

I really think the Forte III is your speaker

Whole-heartedly agree.

Though reviewing the photo, you could recover use of, or at least access to the fireplace if you flew those Hereseys inverted about head-high at the tweeters.  I guess I'd do that before buying bigger speakers, but if you want to tie up the floor, the Forte IIIs will occupy almost exactly what the Hereseys do and give arguably better sound.

GACK, I can't believe I'm going to say this....  but Khorns/LaScalas might be too big in there.  That said, I was with a group once and directly heard Roy (at Klipsch) say, as counter intuitive as it may seem,  that  larger horns work well in smaller rooms.  (he proved this in their chamber using the huge K402 vs the smaller K510)  The larger horn controls the sound better and that's a benefit in a smaller room.

That out of the way....  it looks to me from the picture that your left wall isn't a square wall (??)  That might mess up the bass on a Khorn in that "corner".

None the less.... if you have an itch to try something larger, here's what I think I'd do first.

Buy a used pair of LaScalas (simply trying to minimize costs).  Buy the K402 (if you are not concerned with looks or, the smaller K510 if you are).

The cost of this (compared to a full Jubilee) will be far more cost effective.  If you don't like it (keep your boxes) you could resell the K402's.  If you DID like it, you could decide for yourself if it makes sense to jump to the Jubilee bass bin.

With all that said, if you want to go larger, the Cornwalls would probably make the most sense (I've never heard the Forte' so can't comment on those)....  ORRRRRRRRRRRRR, the KP 396 which in my view, is a juiced up Cornwall....2-way speaker with the K510 horn (which is a great sounding horn).  It's a great sounding speaker.  There are now a couple here that own a pair.

It is however, industrial black.

Here's a picture of the LaScala idea 

Best thing you can try to do, which might be difficult, is give these things a listen and just as important, see them in real life, they might be bigger than your sensibilities might allow.

1.jpg

2jubscala.jpg

510.jpg

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Coytee said:

I was with a group once and directly heard Roy (at Klipsch) say, as counter intuitive as it may seem,  that  larger horns work well in smaller rooms.  (he proved this in their chamber using the huge K402 vs the smaller K510)  The larger horn controls the sound better and that's a benefit in a smaller room.

And who is to doubt Roy?  As I suggested earlier, I'd go with a nice pair of used La Scalas.  Personally, Forte 3 would be near the bottom of my list.

• Like 1

thanks for the reality check guys. the photo perspective maybe tricking people.  The front of the speaker is 4'10 from the back wall.  if  i move the speakers to the close to the side walls i could have 9 feet center to center of  a 24 x 24 speaker. Is this not adequate?   i'll make some boxes up and get some layout ideas.   I appreciate all the help. 

25 minutes ago, guf said:

thanks for the reality check guys. the photo perspective maybe tricking people.  The front of the speaker is 4'10 from the back wall.  if  i move the speakers to the close to the side walls i could have 9 feet center to center of  a 24 x 24 speaker. Is this not adequate?   i'll make some boxes up and get some layout ideas.   I appreciate all the help. 

I probably have one of the smallest rooms with Klipschorns in it ever, 11' x 9', with the horns on the 11' wall.  That makes the sweet spot a literal sweet spot, about the size of a beach ball.  I just don't have a bigger space at the moment.  The sound in that spot is heavenly but I'm certain could be better.

• Like 2

Hi guf,

I live in Oakland, and have stock Belles (similar in size to La Scalas- but with a different mid-horn), and Chorus IIs in a small room, running currently on 300B SET.  In a couple of weeks, when construction at my house is completed, you are welcomed to come over for an audition.  If you like them, I could be persuaded to sell my Chorus IIs.  They might be a good match in your room, but I'm not sure how they would mate with 45 amps.

Darrell

• Like 2

2 hours ago, guf said:

The front of the speaker is 4'10 from the back wall.  if  i move the speakers to the close to the side walls i could have 9 feet center to center of  a 24 x 24 speaker. Is this not adequate?   i'll make some boxes up and get some layout ideas.

Plenty of room for La Scalas, and you would get fully horn loaded speakers.  Get some cardboard and cut t the size of the various speakers, i.e., LS are approx. 24x24. Lay those out on the floor to see what space you eat up and if you can live with it. That will give you a better idea of what direction to head.

Bruce

• Like 1

Excellent suggestion above. A mock-up!

My living room is 12 x 20.

I have had LaScalas shoe-horned in on the short side and was blown away near-field. Actually preferred the regular LS over my LSI Splits that close - I think the top hat separated the mids and tweeters from the bass bins too much. Took me a moment to figure out why.

Oh, another thing, space permitting. Pull the speakers out  in to the room enough so there is nothing between them. As much as you can... Imaging and depth jump another level.

Coyote suggested that to me years ago. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, geoff. said:

Pull the speakers out  in to the room enough so there is nothing between them. As much as you can... Imaging and depth jump another level.

This made a huge difference in my old house. Spooky good imaging.

• Like 1

I've said this a few times on different threads but imo its always worth repeating. With PWK bigger is better and its not even close (when all things are equal or better of course, and with heritage speakers thats the case). Herseys are really nice speakers. I love them. But compared to the bigger heritage stuff like Lascalas (haven't owned khorns so won't comment) or the behind the screen pro line stuff it really is apples to oranges. In all the good ways you would want. Bigger and better sound in every way without losing anything. Its like a hersey hooked up to a large telescope. 

6 minutes ago, Cinema_head said:

I've said this a few times on different threads but imo its always worth repeating. With PWK bigger is better and its not even close (when all things are equal or better of course, and with heritage speakers thats the case). Herseys are really nice speakers. I love them. But compared to the bigger heritage stuff like Lascalas (haven't owned khorns so won't comment) or the behind the screen pro line stuff it really is apples to oranges. In all the good ways you would want. Bigger and better sound in every way without losing anything. Its like a hersey hooked up to a large telescope. 

I agree with most of what you are saying. However, I would rather have a speaker that is designed for the room dimensions I have to work with. I have heard systems where the owners have tried to shoehorn a "large" speaker (10 lbs of s*^t in a 5 lb bag?) in a space that's too small. The OPs room just doesn't seem "big speaker friendly". JMHO......

Shakey

• Like 1