I want new speakers

guf

La Scala mock up.  27in by 37in, with more that 24 in behind the speakers.  8 feet center to center and I could still more the left speaker over 16 inches. My seating position is 9 feet away.  With 4 feet behind me, bass traps on rear wall.  

Room is 13 by 19, for those that missed that detail.  10 foot ceilings.   Maybe some still think the room is still too small?   I am just trying to paint a better picture of what I'm dealing with.

IMG_2587 copy.jpg

Edited by guf
  • Like 2

I had my LS in a 13x21 room in my last house, but only had 8 ft ceilings. You would be fine with your room size.

How loud dou you like to listen? I usually only hit around 95db peaks and it was awesome.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guf said:

La Scala mock up.  27in by 37in, with more that 24 in behind the speakers.  8 feet center to center and I could still more the left speaker over 16 inches. My seating position is 9 feet away.  With 4 feet behind me, bass traps on rear wall.  

Room is 13 by 19, for those that missed that detail.  10 foot ceilings.   Maybe some still think the room is still too small?   I am just trying to paint a better picture of what I'm dealing with.

IMG_2587 copy.jpg

That room was made for la scalas 👍

• Like 4

One of my first revelations with LaScalas was how engaged I could be in the music at low volumes. I thought Cornwalls were (and still are) impressive at low volume until I heard these.

I was used to “pushing” every speaker until they became “alive”. The smaller the speaker, the bigger the push.

The converse is the case with LaScalas.

That is one of the miracles of highly efficient speakers.

And THEN when you juice ‘em...!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, geoff. said:

One of my first revelations with LaScalas was how engaged I could be in the music at low volumes.

I was used to “pushing” every speaker until they became “alive”. The smaller the speaker, the bigger the push.

The converse is the case with LaScalas.

That is one of the miracles of highly efficient speakers.

And then when you juice ‘em...!

I term this effortless. Large sound with almost no effort is PWK.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, guf said:

IMG_2587 copy.jpg

I don't like that grill, lol.

• Like 2

• Moderators
3 hours ago, guf said:

La Scala mock up.  27in by 37in, with more that 24 in behind the speakers. 

Yes, yes I would, and leave the sub where it's at.

45 minutes ago, codewritinfool said:

Maybe some still think the room is still too small?  

Nope, if you go smaller you will probably end up trying bigger one day. It's actuially cheaper to do it right first.

4 hours ago, Cinema_head said:

I admit you still gotta be able to squeeze 1 person in the room. But.....

True, If they fit through the door they fit. :lol:

3 hours ago, guf said:

I’m was surprised recently when I used a spl meter and I was averaging 80-85. And I thought it was loud. I felt like such a woosie. 

That's not bad, it's enough to give the sound a chance to have some presence and feel. If I am not trying to get crazy and just enjoying some music that's enough for me also. Sometimes I shake the house but on average it's much lower where we can still easily talk considering it's on for an average 7-10 hours a day. (we work from home)

Cool looking room. 

• Like 4

That picture does put things in perspective and the Lascalas could work. I am less enamored of the opening to the right of the room. That's never a good thing. But sometimes you have to make do.

My upstairs is an open floor plan and the acoustics absolutely suck. I'm so glad I don't have to set up a serious music system in that room.

Shakey

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dtel said:

Yes, yes I would, and leave the sub where it's at.

Nope, if you go smaller you will probably end up trying bigger one day. It's actuially cheaper to do it right first.

True, If they fit through the door they fit. :lol:

That's not bad, it's enough to give the sound a chance to have some presence and feel. If I am not trying to get crazy and just enjoying some music that's enough for me also. Sometimes I shake the house but on average it's much lower where we can still easily talk considering it's on for an average 7-10 hours a day. (we work from home)

Cool looking room. 

And as Yoda would say "Yes yes to Dtel you listen"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

my room is 12 X 25. Can't put the Scalas on the short wall.  so, they sit about 6' from the corners... doors on either end. Roughly 12' apart. Makes an almost perfect equilateral triangle. 

My set up is quite humble compared to most.... '76 LS and H/K 630

sound wonderful at conversation level and only gets better when I put a little juice to them.

• Like 4