I want new speakers

guf

4 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

no optical out on this laptop. Can a USB port be used? I'm tapped into the headphone out.

My mac book pro (older one) head phone out has the toslink also. The male connector fits into the headphone jack (would need to look if your laptop or pc has toslink on the head phone out.

CBL_TOS_MINI_M_6FT_A.jpg

14 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

we have some addition planned for the house

maybe a subwoofer room should be included?

Near field sub is all you need. I do want to get a horn sub that tucks right behind the couch that kinda disappears with a black cloth or blanket (something that looks really nice). 

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, WillyBob said:

what constitutes a "nice little sub"?

2 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

He will probably say a refrigerator size. 

Or bigger, my sub is 50% bigger than my refrigerator, but sounds better. :lol:

But really WillyBob  it wouldn't have to be that big just for music, 1-2 cubic  feet would work, unless you want to play it for the whole neighborhood.

no optical out on this laptop. Can a USB port be used? I'm tapped into the headphone out.

Check on the Monoprice site, they make all kinds of cables with different ends, as adapters and they're cheap.

If you tell the wife of your plans, there might not be a room in the plans for you, out to the doghouse you go. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, dtel said:

Or bigger, my sub is 50% bigger than my refrigerator, but sounds better. :lol:

But really WillyBob  it wouldn't have to be that big just for music, 1-2 cubic  feet would work, unless you want to play it for the whole neighborhood.

Check on the Monoprice site, they make all kinds of cables with different ends, as adapters and they're cheap.

If you tell the wife of your plans, there might not be a room in the plans for you, out to the doghouse you go. 

Ha told you 😏 👍

• Haha 1

Horn Subwoofer Takes Up Crazy Man's Entire Basement

"While you might think you have a pretty sizable subwoofer, when it's compared to this crazy Italian man's subwoofer, it's downright pathetic. That's because he essentially converted his entire basement into one ridiculously large subwoofer.Update: OK, so this is a few years old (circa 2000), but I'd never seen it and it seems like many of you haven't either. So I'm leaving it up, but if you are offended by things that were made a few years ago you've been warned.  The "Real Total Horn" consists of two cavities, each three feet deep and 31 feet long, functioning as horns and driven by eight 18-inch woofers each. It releases more than 110 dB/1W/1 meter sensitivity starting from below 10 Hz aimed at the listening position. Let me tell you, there's not a better suited sound system in existence for producing an effective brown note."

• Haha 1

WB, if you use a plate amp for subwoofer power, most are built so you can plug your H/K speaker outs into the sub and on to the LaScalas. The sub amp has ability to accept the powered outputs of your receiver, feed power to the sub with it's own amp and have the LS still fed from the H/K.

Bruce

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, dtel said:

WillyBob  it wouldn't have to be that big just for music, 1-2 cubic  feet would work, unless you want to play it for the whole neighborhood.

I rarely run over 50% volume on the H/K630/LaScalas... but do, once in a while. No complaints, yet. I haven't pulled the speakers outdoors, tho.

don't think anyone would complain. Folks have yard parties with DJ's and loud. We hear the bar. It's 3 blocks away.

• Like 2

Ok; one more suggestion on speakers.  Start looking at some pro speakers like the KPT-904's with the K-510 horns.  Unfortunately they are "ugly."  A better solution might be @MenloBob's  KLF-510's ... K-510 horns with dual 15" woofers ... they would fit the space perfectly (rough size guess is 16Wx46Hx12D) :D and give you better sound than LS's or Khorns.

IMG_1414.thumb.jpg.c23c906634ba7a22ed0f1704cf2df703.jpg

For the "build" threat, see 

• Like 2