I want new speakers

guf

13 hours ago, Heritage_Head said:

Claude that wasn't my quote. Ive never owned khorns, I think that was emileys post. I looked back what post are you replying to?

Correct. I just pulled out the words, and the Klipsch Forum software didn't keep the original poster.

• Like 1

So the two cable guys thought they were shelves, Hmmm

When my then 6 y/o daughter first saw them, I was playing "Peter and the Wolf" (trying to get her interested in music) and she was sitting beside me. She turned and looked at me, while pointing to the big K-402 and asked "where is the picture"?

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

So the two cable guys thought they were shelves, Hmmm

When my then 6 y/o daughter first saw them, I was playing "Peter and the Wolf" (trying to get her interested in music) and she was sitting beside me. She turned and looked at me, while pointing to the big K-402 and asked "where is the picture"?

The unbridled honesty of children is always astounding.

On 6/26/2019 at 8:31 AM, PrestonTom said:

Back to the OP's original question. 

I would not worry about the space for big speakers. You would be surprised how good a Jubilee can sound in a small room.

Pictured is a pair of Jubilees (behind a facade). The width of the room is 12 feet and the ceiling is 8 ft. The couch is far enough back to create a 45 deg listening angle (I actually prefer closer - i.e. a larger angle). They sound great. Yeah, you barely notice them when you walk in the room ..... well, I barely notice them.

The important outcome is that you would have Jubilees. They are all that everyone claims they are. The price (new) is less than that of the new Klipschorns. The ones that are on the used market  are an absolute steal. Just show some creativity on how you might dress them up. There are many, and varied approaches to do this.

Good luck,

-Tom

IMG_2478.JPG

You barely notice what?😀  Nice camouflage.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ClaudeJ1 said:

If better sound means higher distortion, then, yes they are better than Khorns and LaScalas at generating IM distortion.

Claude - Is this because horn loaded bass bins are inherently lower distortion due to their higher efficiency? Or because the direct radiator bass bins tend to use more than one driver?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MenloBob said:

Claude - Is this because horn loaded bass bins are inherently lower distortion due to their higher efficiency? Or because the direct radiator bass bins tend to use more than one driver?

Claude will correct some of this Im sure 😉. But when the driver moves it creates distortion. The horn makes the driver more efficient and so less movement. Im sure theres more. 

27 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Claude will correct some of this Im sure 😉. But when the driver moves it creates distortion. The horn makes the driver more efficient and so less movement. Im sure theres more. 

The folds in the horn path act as a low pass filter lowering distortion as well witch is not possible in DR type designs. Tapped horn types do not benefit in this regard as the drivers are exposed.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jason str said:

The folds in the horn path act as a low pass filter lowering distortion as well witch is not possible in DR type designs. Tapped horn types do not benefit in this regard as the drivers are exposed.

I read on a folded horn the wave doesn't fully develop until you get about 8 feet from the cabinet. Is that true? 

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20130819031055AAWPwUM

(best answer post)

"First, lets talk about the differences in cabinet design. Folded horn cabinets (also sometimes called folded W because of the shape of the acoustic path) work much like a megaphone. Without getting overly technical, they focus the sound (which ain't easy with low frequencies). The upside to them is that acoustically they're fairly efficient. In other words, for a given amount of power they will tend to get louder than a similar front loaded cabinet. The downside...there's a few. They can only respond up to maybe 100 Hz. They have a slow transient response (that tends to "smear" the sound). And finally, they're lousy in small rooms. On average, the wave doesn't fully develope until you get about 8 feet from the cabinet. What that means is that you can be right up on it and it won't sound that loud. Meanwhile, you're blowing the fillings out of people's teeth at the back of the room."

11 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

"First, lets talk about the differences in cabinet design. Folded horn cabinets (also sometimes called folded W because of the shape of the acoustic path) work much like a megaphone. Without getting overly technical, they focus the sound (which ain't easy with low frequencies). The upside to them is that acoustically they're fairly efficient. In other words, for a given amount of power they will tend to get louder than a similar front loaded cabinet. The downside...there's a few. They can only respond up to maybe 100 Hz. They have a slow transient response (that tends to "smear" the sound). And finally, they're lousy in small rooms. On average, the wave doesn't fully develope until you get about 8 feet from the cabinet. What that means is that you can be right up on it and it won't sound that loud. Meanwhile, you're blowing the fillings out of people's teeth at the back of the room."

There are different types of folded horns, the "W" type mentioned is normally a bifurcated horn but not necessarily.

11 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

A split horn? Are La scalas split (two sides)

Yes but comes together as 1 horn mouth unlike the Jubilee bass bin or the Klipschorn.

If these were only good to 100 Hz they would be more of a subwoofer than a bass bin.

3 minutes ago, jason str said:

Yes but comes together as 1 horn mouth.

Ok...

I had no idea what a bifurcated horn was. Been reading about them a bit after you mentioned it. So because it comes together its not a bifurcated horn. Wonder why he gave info on a bifurcated horn. Where are they normally used?