LST Tweeter info vrs Compression Driver

mr clean

I know they used these in the the palladium speakers that were very high dollar and sought after but anytime the lst tweeter is talked about the lst is always knocked vrs compression drivers. I know the ones in my rp280f speakers are much cheaper than the palladium but what are the differences as far as design and good and bad points about both types? Also I know basics about compression drivers and that lst are short thow but please explain how both types work and why one is better than the other.Thanks 

15 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

Try LTS Tweeter.

I figured that out about 30 seconds before I saw this. I just got up. That was kind of creepy!  Thanks! I guess I was thinking of the navy ship a town over were they made the lst ships in evansville indiana. Thats weird the one on wikipedia was the same ship they give tours on LST325

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LST-325

The Palladium speakers (and subsequent speakers using the technology) have compression driver tweeters that have feature a linear travel suspension.  It's not that LTS tweeters are not used as compression drivers.  This page has an exploded view picture: https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-51m-5-1-home-theater-system. Unfortunately, it's unlabeled and there are really no details in description.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MMurg said:

The Palladium speakers (and subsequent speakers using the technology) have compression driver tweeters that have feature a linear travel suspension.  It's not that LTS tweeters are not used as compression drivers.  This page has an exploded view picture: https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-51m-5-1-home-theater-system. Unfortunately, it's unlabeled and there are really no details in description.

do you have a link to a specific page this one opens up a general page with numerous other links.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, moray james said:

do you have a link to a specific page this one opens up a general page with numerous other links.

You scroll down a fuzz on the opening page and it talks about the tweeter and shows a exploded view of the tweeter.

2 hours ago, mr clean said:

You scroll down a fuzz on the opening page and it talks about the tweeter and shows a exploded view of the tweeter.

not having any luck with that. Can you cut and paste the diagram along with the description here? that way if the link ever fails the drawing/graphic and info will always be here and not a dead link?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, mr clean said:

Perhaps the compression ratio is smaller than used to in other drivers, so appears to not be one.  The suspension is talked about in numerous tweeters, such as the old Altec and JBLs.  Didn't have anything to do with them being compression drivers or not.

• Like 1

sure looks like a compression driver to me. If you want high tech for cheap look at a Peavey 22R they beat Altec to the punch with that one in the early 1970's it has a deep drawn aluminum one piece former diaphragm and a half round Mylar suspension (long travel high damping). Want a higher quality version of that driver look at the EV DH1506 which is a serious driver by today's standards. Either driver mentioned make the Klipsch model seen here look like a toy.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 12:00 PM, moray james said:

sure looks like a compression driver to me. If you want high tech for cheap look at a Peavey 22R they beat Altec to the punch with that one in the early 1970's it has a deep drawn aluminum one piece former diaphragm and a half round Mylar suspension (long travel high damping). Want a higher quality version of that driver look at the EV DH1506 which is a serious driver by today's standards. Either driver mentioned make the Klipsch model seen here look like a toy.

Yup compression driver.  Just somewhat lower compression than some of the drivers on the market.  Maybe less throat problems because of that for home use.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 12:00 PM, moray james said:

Want a higher quality version of that driver look at the EV DH1506 which is a serious driver by today's standards. Either driver mentioned make the Klipsch model seen here look like a toy.

Here is the K-63 compression driver from my CF-4 next to the EV DH1506.  The horn looks strange because I applied an 11 oz tube of Silicon caulk asymmetrically to damp it.  I believe the 1506 weighs about 11 pounds, the neo magnet K-63 weighs about 4 pounds.

The sound is close between the two but I think the 1506 is a little more smooth in the mid range and is the one in my CF-4's.

post-58280-0-26860000-1453487718_thumb.jpgpost-58280-0-46660000-1453487838_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, mr clean said:

Does the pointed piece on the end work like a phase plug in a way? Just on the very outside of the driver?

Outside of the driver? The phase plug is inside the driver that point is in the middle of the throat of the horn. Why don't you find a pair of these to listen to and see if you like what you hear. What are the specific concerns that you have about these drivers anyway?

• Like 1