LST Tweeter info vrs Compression Driver

mr clean

if you are looking for true linear travel and low distortion listen to a set of LaScala they have significantly higher sensitivity as such their diaphragm motion is dramatically shorter travel which results in lower distortion. Once you have experienced high efficiency it is very hard to go back to low efficiency models. Caveat: don't do this unless you have the room and the money to go there as you may find yourself spoiled for lesser loudspeakers.

• Like 1

I don't have the room. Im really happy with these at the moment. I usually don't listen that loud and im not looking for the best just something sounds good and puts a smile on my face. Forte would be the biggest I would ever see me going if I decide to move up down the road. I have the money just not the space. New La scales new price would sting abit lol. I like these being narrow but still throw out some great sound. The tweeters right at ear level is great also. I know you can lift up the others but we are good. Peace!

43 minutes ago, mr clean said:

I don't have the room. Im really happy with these at the moment. I usually don't listen that loud and im not looking for the best just something sounds good and puts a smile on my face. Forte would be the biggest I would ever see me going if I decide to move up down the road. I have the money just not the space. New La scales new price would sting abit lol. I like these being narrow but still throw out some great sound. The tweeters right at ear level is great also. I know you can lift up the others but we are good. Peace!

well I only suggested that you have a listen to a hi efficiency system, you don't have to buy one. High efficiency systems are not only about loud playback levels you miss the most important aspect and that is dynamics and hi efficiency is how you establish dynamics. To hear an instruments or a voice reproduced with accurate tome and true to life dynamics regardless of level. Even soft quiet sounds contain dynamics. Dynamics are what results in the largest most spectacular sound systems in the world to use horns.

Try placing your speakers so that the mid horn (rather than the tweeter) is at your seated ear level if you want to truly hear the best the speaker can provide. It was Paul Wilbur Klipsch who said "we live in the mid range". Enjoy your system.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mr clean said:

Does the pointed piece on the end work like a phase plug in a way? Just on the very outside of the driver?

If you look at that piece, it would do two things, work as a phase plug and define a smooth transition into the throat of the horn to reduce anomalies with the response.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, moray james said:

Try placing your speakers so that the mid horn (rather than the tweeter) is at your seated ear level if you want to truly hear the best the speaker can provide. It was Paul Wilbur Klipsch who said "we live in the mid range". Enjoy your system.

This will also help the time alignment disparity between the tweeter and midrange due to having a flat baffle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pzannucci said:

If you look at that piece, it would do two things, work as a phase plug and define a smooth transition into the throat of the horn to reduce anomalies with the response.

Thank you for the responses guys. This is what I wanted to know. These are only 2 ways so the tweeter is taking care of the higher midrange down to 1800 hz, and the woofer is taking care of the mids from 300hz to 1800hz. The tweeter is level with my head to moray's  point. But I have the chair reclined a bit so im kind of between them most of the time. If you haven't heard a pair you need to. They sound great for the money spent. I know a lot of people think they are more for movies, but music sounds great also. I did bring the 400hz range up a bit, to help the lower mids keep up with the horns, and tame a little brightness in the high mid and highs just a fuzz due to ears being in an chemical plant for 35 years. When I was young in the 70s and 80s that treble knob was almost wide open so im sure that didn't help either.  Ive been looking at other speakers a little and there is always better but these sound great to me   Whatever I get down the road if anything will have horns attached. My short list is Klipsch,  Great Plains, PI, JBL Peace!  

1 hour ago, mr clean said:

Thank you for the responses guys. This is what I wanted to know. These are only 2 ways so the tweeter is taking care of the higher midrange down to 1800 hz, and the woofer is taking care of the mids from 300hz to 1800hz. The tweeter is level with my head to moray's  point. But I have the chair reclined a bit so im kind of between them most of the time. If you haven't heard a pair you need to. They sound great for the money spent. I know a lot of people think they are more for movies, but music sounds great also. I did bring the 400hz range up a bit, to help the lower mids keep up with the horns, and tame a little brightness in the high mid and highs just a fuzz due to ears being in an chemical plant for 35 years. When I was young in the 70s and 80s that treble knob was almost wide open so im sure that didn't help either.  Ive been looking at other speakers a little and there is always better but these sound great to me   Whatever I get down the road if anything will have horns attached. My short list is Klipsch,  Great Plains, PI, JBL Peace!  

I currently own RB5s and RP-160ms and they are both very nice speakers for their particular uses.  Different presentation than my KLF-30s or Forte IIs though still very good.

I find slight tweaks work well to take off the rough edges.  The drivers are good and you can clean up what could be considered warts with the crossover tweaks.  Key is to have fun.

12 minutes ago, pzannucci said:

I currently own RB5s and RP-160ms and they are both very nice speakers for their particular uses.  Different presentation than my KLF-30s or Forte IIs though still very good.

I find slight tweaks work well to take off the rough edges.  The drivers are good and you can clean up what could be considered warts with the crossover tweaks.  Key is to have fun.

Those RP160Ms have the same tweeter. I think voices sound so real with these horns and they do alot of other things well. Im listening to Piano now that sounds very good!  Do you think the tweeter is better on the RB5 or RP160M? Peace.