K-402 and Double bin MWM's

Dave A

OK I am asking this question for someone who loves his system but is now faced with serious health issues and has to move on. He has a system with a K-402 set of horns and a set of double MWM bins with a passive crossover. A plug and play. He wants to know the value and I don't have a real concrete idea. This is NOT a situation for all the piranhas to rub their hands with glee at the idea of beating someone down. It is a fellow audiophile who has fallen on bad health and I want honest real value opinions on this systems worth. I believe the drivers are K-69? In any case they are in great shape in the hands of a man who loved and took care of them.

• Moderators

The same setup I  have had for over 10 years now, but honestly, I  have no idea what it is worth or would cost today, sorry.....Only difference ours is active.

I am very sorry to hear this. 

They have been refinished, they are factory double bins, the K-402's have K-69 drivers and I am not sure what the crossover is right now but I will find out. It is a two way system I believe and having had one like it I can assure you the sound is stellar.

10 hours ago, dtel said:

The same setup I  have had for over 10 years now, but honestly, I  have no idea what it is worth or would cost today, sorry.....Only difference ours is active.

I have pondered this very thing all day and have no idea which is why I posted. There just aren't enough of these sold where the numbers are public to know. If quality of sound and the rarity of sales is any indication of value I am not sure what it would be. I know if you wanted a set you could spend a long time looking.

• Thanks 1

I've seen bass bins sell for <1500... we know what NEW (new design and new driver) 402's sell for... I added a premium on top of that amount and came up with a hypothetical. But once again JJ proved his impetuous nature.

If I were to be honest, I think it's probably substantially less than a used pair if factory Jubilees (which is 5000-6000) based solely on usability (room fitment) and waf factor... but ask what you want for them.

The best proof will be an open auction with no reserve... you'll find out exactly what they are worth... I bet it will surprise you.

Dave, I think that there is something that hasn't been discussed: the time value of waiting vs. selling them more quickly.  I assume that K-402-HF assemblies cost something like $1300-$1450 from Klipsch right now--delivered to your doorstep...which a lot of people forget--assuming K-691 drivers are attached.  If you were willing to wait 6 mos or more, you could probably get pretty close to this if the K-402s were still in their shipping boxes.  Subtract at least 10% of price if the original boxes/packing material is not part of the deal.  That brings you to $2690...maximum for the K-402-HFs,shipped by the seller.

The bass bins are not nearly in demand as the K-402s presently.  I've actually seen more than one person give them away on this forum.  I'd set a very low price value on these--even if they are in very good condition--perhaps $400-$500, perhaps less--because of lower demand (they're really big devices that few would consider putting in their listening rooms nowadays).  That brings you to about $3000...max.  At that price, you might be able to sell them in a few months.  If you want to sell them right now, forget the price of the MWMs and sell them for the K-402-HF price alone.  That's about $2600 or less.  I'd bet that you could sell them in a month or two at $2000-$2500.  If you're going to "test the market", you can list them higher with a minimum bid price above the "quick sale" price. 

Then comes the issue of shipping costs (if they are shipped--which is problematic for MWMs, but not the K-402-HFs).  Klipsch ships their products included in their selling price, but everyone else wants to push that on the buyer.  I don't know what to tell you about this other than most people punt and say "local pickup only".  When you do that, the effective selling price (what the seller eventually winds up selling them for) drops again unless the seller is going to wait for a very long time for a "sucker" to pop up and buy them, or there just happens to be an informed and interested prospective buyer in the area..which is probably much less than a 50% bet.  You tell me. 

Chris

No arguments here on that point (i.e., the sound quality).  Form factor is an issue for a lot of people.  I would have willed some really good loudspeakers to my offspring already if they weren't living in "efficiency-sized" living quarters.  They really can't even accommodate large "boom box" loudspeakers. 

Not all things get better over time.

Chris

14 minutes ago, babadono said:

I think the K-402-HF portion of my Jubes broke out to $2250. That's with K-691 drivers. This was last year through Cory. Brand new from factory. Just FYI.

This is also my understanding from a recent inquiry to Corey.

5 hours ago, Chris A said:

Dave, I think that there is something that hasn't been discussed: the time value of waiting vs. selling them more quickly.  I assume that K-402-HF assemblies cost something like $1300-$1450 from Klipsch right now--delivered to your doorstep...which a lot of people forget--assuming K-691 drivers are attached.  If you were willing to wait 6 mos or more, you could probably get pretty close to this if the K-402s were still in their shipping boxes.  Subtract at least 10% of price if the original boxes/packing material is not part of the deal.  That brings you to $2690...maximum for the K-402-HFs,shipped by the seller.

The bass bins are not nearly in demand as the K-402s presently.  I've actually seen more than one person give them away on this forum.  I'd set a very low price value on these--even if they are in very good condition--perhaps $400-$500, perhaps less--because of lower demand (they're really big devices that few would consider putting in their listening rooms nowadays).  That brings you to about $3000...max.  At that price, you might be able to sell them in a few months.  If you want to sell them right now, forget the price of the MWMs and sell them for the K-402-HF price alone.  That's about $2600 or less.  I'd bet that you could sell them in a month or two at $2000-$2500.  If you're going to "test the market", you can list them higher with a minimum bid price above the "quick sale" price. 

Then comes the issue of shipping costs (if they are shipped--which is problematic for MWMs, but not the K-402-HFs).  Klipsch ships their products included in their selling price, but everyone else wants to push that on the buyer.  I don't know what to tell you about this other than most people punt and say "local pickup only".  When you do that, the effective selling price (what the seller eventually winds up selling them for) drops again unless the seller is going to wait for a very long time for a "sucker" to pop up and buy them, or there just happens to be an informed and interested prospective buyer in the area..which is probably much less than a 50% bet.  You tell me. 

Chris

Hi Chris,

They are not mine and I have no profit in helping the sale. What I stated in the original post is what I meant and I would just like to see this guy get fair value. If fair value is cheap enough I could be tempted but I already have something better. I am not going to be the one to set the price though.

Funny thing about these big systems is people who have actually heard them want them. I had a line of KPT-456 buyers who wanted to be told when my MCM 1900's were for sale. They were not your average Klipsch veneer customers though. First guy I called took the three way with passive Klipsch OEM crossovers for $2,500.

Pretty sure these are pick up only and bring your needed muscle with you.

17 minutes ago, Dave A said:

Funny thing about these big systems is people who have actually heard them want them.

This has been my observation, too.  The folks with good ears can hear the difference, and want that "power, detail and emotion". 

I actually suspect this has always been true since the 1940s when PWK first started making Khorns (2-ways) when home hi-fi really started to be a pastime--the higher end market for people that can hear the difference has always been there. 

While PWK said that he eventually would have gone bust if he kept on doing only that--I rather suspect that he was really talking about growing the company into a sustainable organization that could support his personal aircraft habit (and a steady salary)...:blush2:

Chris