Sad saga of speaker buying

Dave A

So I have a guy call me up and telling me he has a set of La Scalas for sale for $700. A few scratches but nothing of note so OK I will take them and arrange to be there today. I get there and Jeff Foxworthy must have set this up. At the main road is something or another "Ranch". OK  I think as I drive in and top the small hill for my first view. On the left is a run down shack with some goats and some beater farm stuff. On my right is a WELL used small travel trailer and two LS BR's in the driveway on the dirt. So I get closer and the grilles on the top front are crumpled up and warped. Out pops this dude who had to catch up to his belly and had most of his teeth. So I get out to have a look and big chips off the baltic top back. Old varnish in bad shape. Dirt everywhere and including gobs of it in the K-77 lens mouth. I mention the cabinet damage and he starts regaling me with "I have had 40 sets of these and what I do is fill the bad spots in with bondo sand them off and paint them. I guess these were set 41. I see that lovely AL crossover and make mention of the various problems I am seeing and who knows what they sound like. By now I am not interested and at the second rendition of "IcansellthepartsformoremoneyonEBay", pause for breath sucking noise through the gaps in the front almost there in places teeth, "Ihavehad40setsofthese" and I stopped him right there stating I have no interest in these at all and don't believe a word you say and off I go. So I get close to home on my 240 mile sojourn to Foxworthy Acres and out runs a deer which I proceed to plow under at 60 mph. Fortunately it looks like a front bumper needs replaced and all the grille +   left headlight and some other minor things so good to have a tough front end. I cant imagine what the cost would have been with the new Ford van body style but this 2010 took it in as much stride as could be hoped for. All in all a fabulous speaker hunting day. New rule for speaker hunting. See what the joint looks like on Google Satellite View first before departure.

Those few times you really make a killing don't even begin to make up for the hassle and expenses for when you don't anymore and I think my hunting days are going to be radically curtailed. It quit being entertaining today.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

• Moderators

Hope your bad luck ends today, that's a long way to go to be more or less lied to about condition. As far as the deer hunting I'm just glad you stayed on the road.

Tomorrow will be better.

13 minutes ago, dtel said:

As far as the deer hunting I'm just glad you stayed on the road.

That big old van just had a healthy thump and the deer rolled under the vehicle which has enough clearance to easily go over it with no problems. Had this been my wife's Dodge Caravan it would have been a different story

22 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

At 60 mph, I'm glad you're alive.....

With the E-150 I could barely see the deer's head over the hood before the thump and that was it. The Caravan on the other hand sits much lower and would have probably rolled it up over the hood. For some reason they are everywhere right now so I think I may slow down for a while.

DSC_01.JPG

Dave glad you didn't make the crucial mistake of reacting and over steering into the ditch. I have had similar Foxworthy acre retreats on my hunt for Klipsch. I'm with ya on the hunt thing if I find something close I will consider it but at this stage I know what I want and don't feel the need to try much else.

Dave, glad you are ok which is of course #1!  Good tip on Google Earth View.  I too am done in the "unknown" chase for audio.  I will only work with local folks, mostly via Canada Audio Mart, there aren't too many Klipsch Forum folks here ... I've met Morray James, but not others.  Did get a fantastic deal with a person on CAM for Martin Logan gear, but I really restrict what I look for.

When I lived in Northern Alberta I purchased a GMC Yukon truck just to have half a chance vs a moose.  Lots of folks were killed on the highway in/out of Ft. McMurray where we lived and the Yukon would only have been a draw.  Very good that you kept the sunny side up and didn't roll the vehicle.  Better day today for you I hope.

I hit a mule deer in a Mazda jelly bean van doing around 60 mph. Mine had antlers. The van did not survive the event. Neither did the deer. Caught a ride home and returned to the scene of the accident in under 2 hours. Broken van still there. Deer carcass was gone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Dave A said:

New rule for speaker hunting. See what the joint looks like on Google Satellite View first before departure.

Good advise :D  Did it before doing a 5 hour roundtrip ... was so impressed with the seller's layout that I decided against it :D 

4 hours ago, babadono said:

Glad you are Ok Dave, jeesh. Perhaps next time pictures of said speakers are in order before you make the trip?

There were some but not good ones. Some people think their cheesy cell phones work well and don't own cameras. Google satellite would have prevented the trip though and that's what I intend to do in the future. Lets just say that for $700 I could take the chance.

5 hours ago, rockhound said:

Dave glad you didn't make the crucial mistake of reacting and over steering into the ditch. I have had similar Foxworthy acre retreats on my hunt for Klipsch. I'm with ya on the hunt thing if I find something close I will consider it but at this stage I know what I want and don't feel the need to try much else.

I never swerve for animals although I try to slow down to avoid them. They are not worth a wreck and I have no idea why Deer are so dumb about vehicles.