who has the Heresy mod for easing the brightness a little?

was it John Albright?  too much water under the bridge for me.

Mine are 77s, bought new, been semi-retired for several years now.  Kinda like me.  Anyway, got them out the other day, immediately noticed the brightness.  Want to use them as primary in a small room.  I thought I has saved the diagram in my Crossovers folder but no sign of it.  I'll run them off a BT connection through a small digi-amp.  I think it's a Yammie about 20W/channel.  Should be OK in a small room.  It really sounded good with my '60 Khorns.

Anybody remember?

• Like 1

Not a mod, already tried in corners on the floor unobstructed and angled up a little? It does make a difference in bass response. I did that and knocked the treble pot back to 11:00 for years with mine.

FWIW - can't stand my Heresy I with grills on - nasty reflections and vague -  muffled sound.  With them off, mounted high on a wall, and driven by an inexpensive SE UL EL34 amp , the mids and highs are pretty good and never shrill (caps are 2uF KBG) - my only beef is the blend between the woofer and K700/K55V  (a change in the lowpass might fix things?)   Fritz Wunderlich (EMI lieder CD) sounds great - - Jimmy Martin sounds great.    I'm a fan of PWK's exponential horns.

IMO, it probably isn't the tweeter that is too bright, but the K55.  If there is a way to turn that down several dB, that might help.

Adding a sub might help.

Also first reflection points on walls AND the floor. 

I've heard bright and dull Heresy 1(s)  I don't know why there should be a difference in balance.

I have Heresy II surrounds; they sound pretty well balanced.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 3:00 PM, Deang said:

Since the resistor changes the reflected impedance seen by the amplifier, you have to change the primary input cap from a 2uF to a 21uF.

Hmmm, looks like I need to revisit mine.

I think I kept the 2uF value when I replaced the caps in mine back in 2010.

-Josh

17325BFB-9EC1-4E1A-9332-E87F2C64B464.jpeg

This is what I did to my rear channel Heresies.  My center channel Heresy has a crossover similar to the Type AAs in my La Scalas, with the band-pass inductor as shown below.  That inductor will attenuate the 9k "bounce" in the K-55-V's response by about 6 dB without any significant phase issues.  You can also keep your 2.5 mH OEM woofer inductor, if desired. 

post-43-0-25000000-1447818554_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2019 at 4:54 AM, garyrc said:

IMO, it probably isn't the tweeter that is too bright, but the K55.  If there is a way to turn that down several dB, that might help.

As delivered, the HIs run the woofer at 94 dB, the squawker at 98 dB and the tweeter at 99 dB.  Knocking the MF/HF down 3 dB helps, but they still have a rising response curve. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CECAA850 said:

Any chance it's just 42 year old, dried out caps?

Replacing the old caps would have the opposite effect, IMO. The most noticeable effect of re-freshing capacitors is that there will be more energy in the highs. I would think that would make any harshness more apparent. 

BTW, you should not have to attenuate the driver by 3dB from factory settings. What was designed and delivered IS the Klipsch sound. The user may not like this sound and perhaps Klipsch Heritage is not their cup of tea. There are plenty of other speakers out there that they might like better.