who has the Heresy mod for easing the brightness a little?

13 hours ago, JohnA said:

As delivered, the HIs run the woofer at 94 dB, the squawker at 98 dB and the tweeter at 99 dB.  Knocking the MF/HF down 3 dB helps, but they still have a rising response curve. 

Until you set them on the floor and slide them into corners - then you get 98, 98, 99

• Like 1

Positioned correctly with good equipment, I don't think they do, but that's me - it's purely subjective.

Some find horn loaded midrange too forward, but enjoy the dynamics they provide. I see nothing wrong with dialing them back a bit. Some are critical of this, yet have no problem recommending tone controls and equalizers.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 11:27 AM, Deang said:

Until you set them on the floor and slide them into corners - then you get 98, 98, 99

On 8/9/2019 at 2:07 PM, Marvel said:

Then why do the mids still sound too hot?

Do the mids still sound too hot with "good" recordings?   What do I mean by "good" recordings?  Well, I don't quite know ... but they sound well balanced bass to mids to treble ... and are often older classical recordings, not the sometimes screechified remastered recordings, or newer pop/rock/metal. etc. ones that Chris A "de-masters" to restore frequency balance and dynamic range.

I have only had Heresy Is in my house for a few days, so I'm not sure about them.   But I have had Heresy IIs as surrounds for a long time, and I never noticed that they had hot mids.  Then I took them into my workplace for a full year, and they never seemed too hot in the mids -- a little bass shy, but not too bright.  One was pressed into a corner on top of bookcases, and the other with its back pressed against a wall on top of another bookcase.  

On my Klipschorns, some disks seem too bright.  My estimate of what proportion sound that way varies with my mood.   It runs from about 10% to 40%, especially on CDs, a little less on SACDs, and quite rarely on Blu-rays.  In my old vinyl days, with  a moving coil Ortofon cartridge, I didn't often hear harshness, but I wasn't at all reluctant to turn up the bass for balance.  Nowadays I use Audyssey, usually Audyssey Flat, sometimes Audyssey Reference, to bring in the dip at 2K to cut down a harshness prone area.  Sometimes I use up to 6 dB bass boost for the sake of balance. 

9 minutes ago, garyrc said:

I have only had Heresy Is in my house for a few days, so I'm not sure about them.   But I have had Heresy IIs as surrounds for a long time, and I never noticed that they had hot mids.

I also have Heresy IIs, and have always thought they were more balanced than the originals. One of my sons has originals... too hot in the mids on a lot of music. I think that is due to having the K55. Way more driver than that little box needs compared to the folded horn in the Khorn.

I have the mids dialed back on my La Scalas, too. To me they just sound better. I think Dean send out his set that way for the LS, KHorn, etc. about 3db down. Perhaps he will be kind enough to correct me if I am wrong. @Deang

(just saw his response above...)

On 8/10/2019 at 8:52 PM, Marvel said:

I have the mids dialed back on my La Scalas, too. To me they just sound better. I think Dean sends out his set that way for the LS, KHorn, etc. about 3db down. Perhaps he will be kind enough to correct me if I am wrong. @Deang

-3dB is the Klipsch stock setting for the A and AA. I do a lot of -6dB. Some order them that way, and some get that recommendation from me if they have bigger rooms or tend to lean on the volume a bit - or if they just straight up tell me the mids are too forward for their tastes.