KI-396 VS VINTAGE LASCALA

Jvitti1970

Looking for member in here who have the good fortune of owning both of these speakers to hear a little bit on how they compare.

I believe both benefit from the addition of a sub or subs. id really like to know how the mids and highs compare as well as sound stage and imaging.

thanks.  I own 1976 all original Lascala's and am thinking of adding the 396's 

Being horn loaded, I'd expect the bass on the LaScala to be more clean.  The 396 though might dig a bit deeper and sound more "full".

The top end of the 396 as I recall, uses the K510 horn which in my opinion, walks all over the stock top end in the LaScala.  (I've owned LaScalas for quite a while and also own the 510 horn but, do not own the 396)

I would expect the 510 to put out a much 'larger' sound than the LaScala's top end.  Not necessarily more loud, just a bigger sound, thanks to its two inch throat.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Coytee said:

Being horn loaded, I'd expect the bass on the LaScala to be more clean.  The 396 though might dig a bit deeper and sound more "full".

The top end of the 396 as I recall, uses the K510 horn which in my opinion, walks all over the stock top end in the LaScala.  (I've owned LaScalas for quite a while and also own the 510 horn but, do not own the 396)

I would expect the 510 to put out a much 'larger' sound than the LaScala's top end.  Not necessarily more loud, just a bigger sound, thanks to its two inch throat.

You nailed it.  After owning both, would have to agree.   If I had a much larger room, I'd have to give the LA scalas another fair shot.  They didn't sound right in my smallish room.   The 396s have my solid stamp of approval and I can HIGHLY recommend them. Only just sold them as I got the pair of speakers I wanted slightly more. 

• Like 1

Personal experience with the 904s (Bigger version of the the 396) and now with 78 lascalas. I haven't had them side by side or even used in the same rooms so thats important. They both have that effortless LARGE sound that only the big horn klipsch have (in my experience). I wouldn't even try and guess whats better (unless I could get them side by side).  

• Like 1

396 has very clean, snappy bass for a reflex speaker.  Ive had more than one pair of scalas and heard many i. Different rooms.  I believe the 396 so called clean bass would rival the scala.  The top end will be two different animals really.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@Westcoastdrums I have the LS in a pretty big room right now about 20x30. room is unfinished at this time. damn though they really fill the room especially since I'm only using a modest 50watt Emotiva amp right now

You have what I don't. Can't comment on LA scalas in a "proper" room. However, I'm my smallish room, the 396s were damn impressive.   Also used them outside several times as well and they really excel in both environments.  The LA scala will Def sound better at low volumes. If you are a low volume guy most of the time, the 396s aren't for you without using eq.   The top end is lacking at low volumes.  They don't need to be loud to fix that problem though. I was also using a high power amp, so your results may vary. I had them 3' from back walls, 1' from side walls, toed in with tweeters firing directly at me. The 396s will EASILY fill a large room with a little firepower.  

The one person I know that can do a direct comparison is Carl @CECAA850, he has the 396's and a set of LSI's that he will be able to do an A/B in his new "man cave" if he stops dicking around, and finishes it.  LOL  Unfortunately, I haven't yet owned a pair of LaScala's, so I can only reference how the 396's compare to KP250's, Cornwall 2's and Split Cornscala's with various mid horns.   

I have La Scalas and listened to 396s with an 1802 horn sub in Hope.  My take is that an acoustic bass (and similar) from a La Scala is a little better defined and the upper mids and highs of the 396 are much cleaner, clearer and more open.  And a 396 can get louder without sounds of strain.  The tractrix horn and 2" high end driver are great pieces. 

A La Scala bass horn can get up to 800 hz well enough, I would love the have the 396 top with my Bass Horns. 

2 hours ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@CECAA850  so Carl do tell!!

LSI's have to be rebuilt before I can compare them.  Pete knows that I haven't done that yet so he's busting my chops.  I haven't had my regular Lascalas in the same room as the 396s so I can't compare the sound.  I can say that the 396's are hard to beat.  For their size and what they can do, there's not much that comes close.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@CECAA850  my 1976 LSI's are still all original. how should I go about rebuilding? new networks, new drivers, etc?

I was thinking of doing ALK Networks, Crites CT-120'S and AG-55's

I think he was saying this his pair of La Scalas are currently out of commission and need to be rebuilt before he can compare with his 396's.

I have '88 LS's with the CT-120's, A-55G's, and fresh Type A networks (from DeanG, with fancy Jupiter flatstack capacitors if you care). My room is large, but without acoustic treatment. I believe the Type A network and stock tweeters traditionally fall apart at high volume, but the CT-120's have better frequency range and power handling. I still typically only listen at low to moderate volumes for music, slightly louder for movies. They sound excellent in my opinion and it's a worthwhile upgrade path.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jvitti1970 said:

@CECAA850  my 1976 LSI's are still all original. how should I go about rebuilding? new networks, new drivers, etc?

I was thinking of doing ALK Networks, Crites CT-120'S and AG-55's

What crossover is in it?  AL?  If so, look into an AA.