Adding sub(s) to Belle clones (version 2)

avguytx

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 11:37 AM, avguytx said:

I do like the idea of using the MiniDSP HD 2x4 to get more control over the room since I have the amps needed.  May go that route. 

Have you tried it yet? I just bought one yesterday. 

I had been doing some renovations at my home and when I put my basement system back together this week, the SA1000 Dayton amp fried. It had been temperamental for a while now so it was not a huge surprise. I really like the convenience of it and like the high pass filter as most of the speakers down there are small (except for a set of Belles that don't mind being cut off at 80hz since they don't do much in that range). I was going to get a new SA1000 but thought they were a little on the pricey side for what you get. So i got the miniDSP 2x4 on the way. I will use a small Crown amp (which has a lot more power than the Dayton does) for the two subs i have down there.

I will report back when up and running.

What are your plans with that Dayton amp that went bad ? I need a project to work on lol

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

Yes that will work and I used my one very large tuba sub as a tv stand for a few year until I got this Yamaha speaker for a center speaker, first off make sure you have the driver that inside the box as close to the ground. I also placed a thin peace of rubber material under it and under the tv. Not that it needed it as the tuba when built the right way, will not vibrate or rattle any, the tube sub box I had , I built using 1” mdf and it was close to 110lbs with the Dayton Audio mkII 15” driver. So she was a heavy B!!!!!
What ever box you use and if possible, just make sure the driver is a fair away fro
The tv and that it does not vibrate
Good luck and post some pics
I’ll look and see if I can find some of my old tuba sub, but for now here’s a pic of the Yamaha center speaker I use as a tv stand

This is a old pic
743e7d74d7a658aabd1068df689912cd.jpg

This is a newer pic of my setup today
eae2f17fe06d630d2e93f3a06db8ca40.jpg

Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

On 7/5/2019 at 1:18 PM, carlthess40 said:

What are your plans with that Dayton amp that went bad ? I need a project to work on lol

Yours if you want it. I wont be messing with anything until my mini DSP gets here and I am out of town next weekend. Once I get everything broken down, I will give it a once over and send it off to you.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 11:02 PM, avguytx said:

It's size isn't hard to work with at all...but don't want it to be a coffee table, though. 

As the guy who promoted the "coffee table sub" which was a LAB 20 sub from another forum, I only called it "coffee table" because I had to lay it down in my small basement condo room.

I just designed longer version of it that goes down to 13 Hz. That being said, I would NOT recommend either one for your application, since you really need to cross at 100 Hz.

For the lowest distortion possible with, I would recommend any of the Bill Fitzmaurice designs, the F-20 (yes you can stand it up), or, for infinite headroom (I say this because, if you plug the THIS TH sub DIRECTLY into your AC outlet, you will bet over 140 db of 60 Hz. before a 30 Amp breaker will trip), the OThorn from Josh Ricci at Data -Bass. You can Email him for free plans. I own one and it's the lowest distortion bass possible in that type of cab since it uses either one of two B&C 21" drivers. The slighly cheaper one models a little bit better in that cab than the more expensive one I have, but Parts Express doesn't carry it, so here's mine:

https://www.parts-express.com/bc-21sw152-4-21-neodymium-subwoofer-4-ohm--294-689

Yours if you want it. I wont be messing with anything until my mini DSP gets here and I am out of town next weekend. Once I get everything broken down, I will give it a once over and send it off to you.

Thanks
Let me know

5 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

Yes that will work and I used my one very large tuba sub as a tv stand for a few year until I got this Yamaha speaker for a center speaker, first off make sure you have the driver that inside the box as close to the ground. I also placed a thin peace of rubber material under it and under the tv. Not that it needed it as the tuba when built the right way, will not vibrate or rattle any, the tube sub box I had , I built using 1” mdf and it was close to 110lbs with the Dayton Audio mkII 15” driver. So she was a heavy B!!!!!
What ever box you use and if possible, just make sure the driver is a fair away fro
The tv and that it does not vibrate
Good luck and post some pics
I’ll look and see if I can find some of my old tuba sub, but for now here’s a pic of the Yamaha center speaker I use as a tv stand

This is a old pic
743e7d74d7a658aabd1068df689912cd.jpg

This is a newer pic of my setup today
eae2f17fe06d630d2e93f3a06db8ca40.jpg

did you have the mouth of the sub facing you or the wall ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 7:49 AM, MookieStl said:

On 6/21/2019 at 11:37 AM, avguytx said:

I do like the idea of using the MiniDSP HD 2x4 to get more control over the room since I have the amps needed.  May go that route. 

On 7/5/2019 at 7:49 AM, MookieStl said:

Have you tried it yet? I just bought one yesterday. 

I had been doing some renovations at my home and when I put my basement system back together this week, the SA1000 Dayton amp fried. It had been temperamental for a while now so it was not a huge surprise. I really like the convenience of it and like the high pass filter as most of the speakers down there are small (except for a set of Belles that don't mind being cut off at 80hz since they don't do much in that range). I was going to get a new SA1000 but thought they were a little on the pricey side for what you get. So i got the miniDSP 2x4 on the way. I will use a small Crown amp (which has a lot more power than the Dayton does) for the two subs i have down there.

I will report back when up and running.

Finally pieced the system back together with the MiniDSP HD 2x4. It works like a charm. After a couple missteps, I got it dialed in and it is exactly what I was looking for. I have never used one before so I cannot compare it to anything, but it did what it said it would. It was fun boosting the bass and adjusting the frequency for the boost, plus adjusting the crossover on the fly. I am sure I will play with it some more, but got it to a point that I like what I hear (currently)!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally had time over the weekend to replace 8 main power supply capacitors on my Sunfire 12" sub and hooked it up with my Belle clones.  It had developed a constant buzz and I emailed Bob (Carver) about it and he had let me know which ones were suspect to change out.  I had emailed him January of last year and already ordered, and received,  the capacitors.  But, with the new house build, that got put on hold and things were in storage.

Ok, I can live with this for a good while now. Having no low end to speak of was making these speakers less enjoyable to listen to and I had preferred listening to the CV VS-150's and Infinity Quantum 3's which had bass.  So at least now I have "something"...albeit not perfect, it's way better. I have it crossed over around 60hz so far which seems to blend pretty well.  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Well, here we are over a year later and the weather is finally getting cold outside where it's more fun to work in the garage.  I despise working in the heat with big *** horseflies, wasps, etc., trying to get into the garage.  It's not like we don't back up to 40 acres of woods or anything.  I've decided to go with the Table Tuba using a 10" woofer and I know the Dayton DCS 255-4 is the recommended.  But, I was thinking about going  through the specs of some car audio 10" woofers that I can get for cost locally "IF" their specs fall into the range.  

@jason str   I'm assuming an 8-ohm woofer would be fine to go in this cabinet IF the specs work, right?  Only asking depending on the amp I use.

I'm definitely going to get an amp that has DSP so I can Hi Pass back to my Onkyo amp that runs the Belle clones so no power is wasted on bass in them.  I do like the price of that Dayton plate amp, which shows out of stock, but would really like to have an amp that would go in the same rack as everything else which would be shorter RCA runs versus a longer distance.  But, I don't care to spend $500 on an amp to get that, either.

Going to buy the wood soon as we will be building our base cabinets in the garage, to match the upper cabinets we built last winter, so I'll add a sheet or two of 1/2" to the purchase.