Klipsch RP 402s in 7.2.4 system

CommanderROR

Hi everyone,

In my small cellar HT, I currently have a 7.2.4 Atmos System with Elac and Nubert Speakers. Right now I am Considering moving over to Klipsch. I got the RP 400M today and will test them as Surround Rear, and I I like them I will exchange the other Speakers for Klipsch as well.

Now, since my room is pretty narrow (295cmX530cmX215cm (W/D/H)) I was thinking about using the RP 402S as Side Surrounds with Monopoles at the front and back...

Is this recommended?

Also, what is the main difference between the wider and the smaller center channels? My current Elac has one tweeter and two woofers (ok, and the concentric midrange thingy) and is fine. What are the Klipsch with 4 woofers good for?

Edited by CommanderROR

Hi

Im sorry no one have answered your questions here yet. I personally don't really have any constructive answers for you.

I don't really have any experience with dipoles, but can verify that monopoles throughout a system works quite well. However if dipoles is better than monopoles as surrounds, I wouldn't know.

Don't really know if there is any advantage with a center that has 4 woofers as opposed to the 2 woofer kinds... I myself have only owned the 4 woofer kinds and if i'm not mistaken, I think I read somewhere that Klipsch's 4-woofer-centers are designed in a fashion that lets the two inner most woofers handle certain frequencies and the two outermost woofers doing the rest. 

Here are some people on this forum that have been very nice and helpful for me in the past. Hopefully they see this and can help you more along the way than me.

@wuzzzer @avguytx @billybob @willland @wvu80 

On 6/13/2019 at 10:38 AM, CommanderROR said:

In my small cellar HT, I currently have a 7.2.4 Atmos System with Elac and Nubert Speakers. Right now I am Considering moving over to Klipsch. I got the RP 400M today and will test them as Surround Rear, and I I like them I will exchange the other Speakers for Klipsch as well.

Now, since my room is pretty narrow (295cmX530cmX215cm (W/D/H)) I was thinking about using the RP 402S as Side Surrounds with Monopoles at the front and back...Is this recommended?

The RP-402S would make a fine surround speaker.  This is the type of speaker most people would use for a side surround since it doesn't fire directly into your ear.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:38 AM, CommanderROR said:

Also, what is the main difference between the wider and the smaller center channels? My current Elac has one tweeter and two woofers (ok, and the concentric midrange thingy) and is fine. What are the Klipsch with 4 woofers good for?

There are two basic types of center speakers, the MTM Mid-Woofer-Mid, also known as a D'Apolito design.  It's placed on its side usually because it goes under a TV where there isn't much space.  The Klipsch uses four woofers in a MMTMM configuration.  The extra two woofers give it more off-axis sound.  The extra two woofers are typically more efficient so you don't need as much power as an MTM design.

If you want to see what Klipsch speakers can do you will want them as L/C/R, Left Center Right.  You can use Klipsch speakers as side surrounds and rear surrounds but they won't give you that "wow" factor like the L/C/R will.

Get the best center speaker you can afford, then put similar sounding L/R speakers.  The best Klipsch has to offer for Home Theater is the RF-7 III and the RC-64 III.  These will "wow" you.

If you can go with the Reference Premier (RP) these will also give you that "wow" factor at a reduced price over the RF series.

I hope that helps.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums.  -Dave

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies!

I have ordered the RP600M and 600C and will try them out. I already have the RP400 as Back Surrounds and they work quite well.

To be honest, I'm a bit woried about the supposedly harsh high end the Klipsch are meant to have, especially compared toy Elac UB5, but I guess my Yamaha RX-A3080 will take care of that anyway. 

I look forward to testing out the RP series and will report back on my findings. 

I have postponed the Side Surrounds for now (leaving my old Nuberts there until I have decided whether I will go Klipsch for the front).

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CommanderROR said:

I have ordered the RP600M and 600C and will try them out.

I'm looking forward to your assessment of the 600C.  I am a huge fan of high quality center speakers and we haven't heard much about the 600C.

Next time you order you might consider our local Klipsch dealer Cory, @MetropolisLakeOutfitters.  His prices are better than anything I've seen on-line and his service is great.  I won't bore you with the entire story but basically he got my pair of RP-600M's out in two days over the last Christmas holidays, and I ordered them on Christmas eve!

The word is out on the 600M's and it's a fantastic speaker.  I used them as mains for a while to see what they could do.  They are impressive, even to a guy who owns or has owned RF-83's, La Scala's and Khorns.  It won't beat any of those but the sound quality is right there.

1140702457_RP-600Mlivingroomseascene_400.thumb.jpg.a098e471533630c61e1e9e9c62275f67.jpg

Quick report from my end...

The 600C seems fine to me, very clear and rich sound. Strangely my AVR measures it too loudly, but that likely has nothing to do with the Speaker.

I think I will keep the Klipsch Speakers and add the Side Surrounds once some money has regrown on my account...🤪

Btw...thanks for the tip on where to buy, but I'm in Germany, so that dealer isn't really an option...

• Like 1