Multi Channel Amp or AVR

rebuy

OK, Soon I'm gonna upgrade the electronics.

I want more Headroom, Dynamics, and life like sound.

I'm running my 80 WPC Denon which drops to about 60 to 65 watts in 5 channel.

So I need some serious advice.

Do I go with a Outlaw 5000 @ 120 WPC or something like a Marantz SR 7012 @ 125 WPC.

I want the most Current/ Amperage for 5 Channel.

I think when a Lower tier Denon like mine is put in the 5 channel mode for music

it loses alot of ----oh it just sucks the life out of music.

If I bought the Marantz--I would worry about that too since it's an AVR.

Outlaw's next model up is 7 Channels @ 125 Watts so power is minimal.

Some good opinions by you Experienced Guys/Gals would really help.

I want to make a Quality Purchase and I do have some flexibility in spending

but don't want to spend as much as the price of a car.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Here is the corresponding amp.....https://emotiva.com/collections/home-theater/products/a-700

Or the XPA-7 beast of an amp, but those get pricey.

The sound processor looks Great.

I'm not so sure about the BasX line--You ever heard them.

When you load that 7 Channel one up the power drops to 80 watts.

Is that normal for a Power Amp?

The other one I looked at on the Emotiva site was the A-5175 a 5 channel

and it looks bigger.

I'm not going to buy a Marantz and a Amp.

I'm going to buy a Sound Processor & Amp or a Big A$$ AVR.

The Outlaw weighs 14 lbs more than the Emotiva.

That's a lot.

What do you think?

Thanks for responding

7 hours ago, rebuy said:

The sound processor looks Great.

I'm not so sure about the BasX line--You ever heard them.

When you load that 7 Channel one up the power drops to 80 watts.

Is that normal for a Power Amp?

The other one I looked at on the Emotiva site was the A-5175 a 5 channel

and it looks bigger.

I'm not going to buy a Marantz and a Amp.

I'm going to buy a Sound Processor & Amp or a Big A$$ AVR.

The Outlaw weighs 14 lbs more than the Emotiva.

That's a lot.

What do you think?

Thanks for responding

The BasX line is their entry line of products, they have been around for 3-4 years, they sell a lot of these. Another option is a used gen 1 or 2 XPA-5, can be found in the $500-$600 range. That Outlaw is a good buy.

If you want simplicity, the Marantz might be a decent option.  I have the SR6012 and Forte III's, and am happy with the set up and don't ever feel lacking in power. Albeit, I am only running a 3.1 set-up. Looks like the SR6013 is running a decent deal @ around $800 right now. I think these have pre-outs to add a separate amp if you'd want to add more power, but then there's another piece of equipment in the curve, which you indicated you didn't want. The other pre/pro options of course would have 2 pieces of equipment also.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Sam S. said:

If you want simplicity, the Marantz might be a decent option.  I have the SR6012 and Forte III's, and am happy with the set up and don't ever feel lacking in power. Albeit, I am only running a 3.1 set-up.

Looks like the SR6013 is running a decent deal @ around $800 right now. I think these have pre-outs to add a separate amp if you'd want to add more power, but then there's another piece of equipment in the curve, which you indicated you didn't want.

I think the 6013 or thereabouts would be a good choice, especially at that $800 price point, those things usually go for about $1500.  You should also consider whatever Denon has in your price range as well.  They both have pre-outs for all channels.  If you should try either model and find the power lacking, simply pick up a power amp for the L/C/R.  Yes, I know there aren't any used amps in our neck of the woods.  :lol:

For instance the 6013 has about 110 wpc.  If you get the 135 wpc model the extra few watts mean nothing because power increase is not linear, it's exponential.  If your AVR does 100 wpc  then to gain another 3 db of SPL you have to double the watts and a 200 wpc AVR is expensive.

The problem with going separates is those stand-alone pre-pros are expensive!  Like $2000-3000 expensive.

I have the 6011 (125 wpc) and it has 9 internal amps and can process 11 channels with an extra amp.  All the channels are assignable.  I run 5.1 and on the wildest day when my wife's not home and I'm cranking it for all its worth the power indicator never goes over half cranking it as high as I can stand it.

I think you would be happy with any of the higher end Marantz or Denon models.  Let your wallet be your guide. 

You might check with Cory @MetropolisLakeOutfittersor Steve @Scrappydue to see what they have to offer and for how much, I'm not sure which AVR's Marantz or Denon they sell.

• Thanks 1

Maybe I should get some Better Klipsch also.

Were going to be buying a house soon and I'm looking for room enough

for a pair or set of La Scala's --  My wife will just have to 

Get With The Program....😀

6 hours ago, rebuy said:

and I'm looking for room enough

for a pair or set of La Scala's -- 

As I was reading your post I was thinking the problem with new (used) Klipsch speakers is they are very rarely for sale in our neck of the woods then this ad for la scala's came across my radar this morning.  A two hour trip to Columbus to a nice neighborhood is not out of the question.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/807475806282913/

• Thanks 1