Replaced the networks caps and midrange gaskets in my Heresy tonight

wuzzzer

I ordered @BEC's network rebuild kit for my Heresy with Type E networks.  The kit included four 2uf Sonicaps, four mounting blocks and four zip-ties.  I also ordered two new midrange horn to driver gaskets.

I've done basic soldering before but this was the first time I've done any on a crossover network.  It wasn't very difficult at all.

The old gaskets in the midranges were much stiffer and felt more brittle than the new ones.

The Sonicaps replaced the old paper in oil caps that showed signs of leaking.

I had consulted @Deang about what he recommend for caps but the ones he recommended were about four times the price of the Sonicaps.  That was quite a bit more than I felt comfortable spending.  Maybe if I were updating LaScalas, Khorns, etc.

Everything is all buttoned up and I'm thoroughly enjoying some Dark Side of the Moon...

...and so are my neighbors.  :)

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, Thaddeus Smith said:

So it didn't drastically change the sound? I remember they were you gold standard when you bought new H3's, no?

Not drastically but there's a definite improvement.  I did one speaker first then switched the balance between L and R while listening to some music, especially mono.  The speaker with the new caps sounded louder and had slightly more detail all around.  Looking forward to doing more listening soon.

Is there any reason at all to save the old PIO caps?  Does anyone want them?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wuzzzer said:

4TH of July coming up. You can throw them in a fire and watch them pop. Little lithium batteries work too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sonicaps, yuck.  You could have done better from Parts Express as they have numerous options I would have at least gone Kimber Kaps or some of the better Dayton's.  The caps Dean recommends while pricey are worth it in the long run unless you like strident mids and highs.

9 hours ago, wuzzzer said:

Not drastically but there's a definite improvement.  I did one speaker first then switched the balance between L and R while listening to some music, especially mono.  The speaker with the new caps sounded louder and had slightly more detail all around.  Looking forward to doing more listening soon.

Nahhh! Old Caps are out of spec and getting worse! Entropy!! 😞

They are garbage now! Reduce/Recycle/Reuse but NOT old out of spec caps! Recycle!

Thank you!

John Kuthe...

8 hours ago, Dave A said:

4TH of July coming up. You can throw them in a fire and watch them pop. Little lithium batteries work too.

Blowlogs are better!

We pitched a small propane cylinder down the flaming maw of an actively burning-from-the-inside Blowlog and BOOM!! :-) The Blowlog was a campfire trick our crazy Arkansas boater friends demonstrated for us and we ran with it! 

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former Whitewater Kayaker and ACA Certified Instructor Missouri Whitewater Association Member and Drunk Playing With Fire

Blowlog.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnKuthe said:

Blowlogs are better!

We pitched a small propane cylinder down the flaming maw of an actively burning-from-the-inside Blowlog and BOOM!! 🙂 The Blowlog was a campfire trick our crazy Arkansas boater friends demonstrated for us and we ran with it! 

John Kuthe, Climate Anarchist and Former Whitewater Kayaker and ACA Certified Instructor Missouri Whitewater Association Member and Drunk Playing With Fire

Blowlog.jpg

This year for the 4th the grandkids are stopping in and it will be .308 and tannerite.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Sonicaps, yuck.  You could have done better from Parts Express as they have numerous options I would have at least gone Kimber Kaps or some of the better Dayton's.  The caps Dean recommends while pricey are worth it in the long run unless you like strident mids and highs.

They have started handling more Audyns too. I recapped a set recently with them and they sounded really good. Problem with doing recaps and then comparing various brands is I never do a set with two types in them to compare side A to side B. And I never have them stacked up so I can compare this set with another one. Working from what you "remember" is at best a guide and not a real definition of quality. I end up using Sonicaps often now because Bob has established a real market for them and so many expect to see them in "quality" rebuilds.

One thing I can say with measuring capacitors with an accurate meter is Bob is correct when he says they measure consistently and very low ESR. Not all that much better than Daytons or Audyns though and I am rethinking spending the extra money on them. I tend to fall in the camp of if it measures well it will do well. One of the claims for Sonicap that Bob quotes is expected life. I do know that mylars and oil cans sure do not have the life Sonicap claims for their product. Neither he nor I will be here long enough to verify Sonicaps claim though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dave A said:

They have started handling more Audyns too. I

I did two recaps with Audyn Plus caps and they both sounded really good.  The H2 recap resulted in one of the best sounding H2's I've heard (with stock drivers).

1 minute ago, CECAA850 said:

I did two recaps with Audyn Plus caps and they both sounded really good.  The H2 recap resulted in one of the best sounding H2's I've heard (with stock drivers).

On my last set of Chorus I's I used the Audyns you mention but I also used a 68uf Audyn on the woofer section too and it made a real difference over the electrolytic. All in all I put my MAHL tweeter + the Audyn's in there and they sold for $1,100 to the first person to come and hear them. They were remarkable. When I first fired these up they were pretty sour sounding and those old caps were total garbage.

So are you still on track to get your tweeters installed by 2022?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave A said:

So are you still on track to get your tweeters installed by 2022?

Anything is possible.

Garage is almost done.  I still have to make shelving and trim it out but I'm close.  I need to build a sub for my nephew and the LSI's should be after that.

6 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

This description of the Sonicaps is one of the reasons why I chose them:

Capture+_2019-06-14-12-29-04.png