Replaced the networks caps and midrange gaskets in my Heresy tonight

wuzzzer

God forbid we add warmth and richness to a horn driven loudpeaker. 🙂

Did you call the vendor (Jeff Glowacki) and ask which capacitor he recommends for your loudspeaker?

There's nothing wrong with the Sonicap. It's a good part. I just think if you're only taking one shot at this -- go with warmth and richness, lol.

3 hours ago, Dave A said:

This year for the 4th the grandkids are stopping in and it will be .308 and tannerite.

The bigger the BOOM the better!!

Although I got into the Chemistry supply room in high school and got ahold of some Sodium Peroxide! My high school chemistry teacher used to do a sensational demo using table sugar and sodium peroxide, also a white crystalline solid! He'd put a small conical pile of table sugar then make a little dent in the top of the pile of sugar, to which he added as small quantity of sodium peroxide on it, then he's sprinkle some water droplets on it and the sugar pile would burst into flames! Because sodium peroxide is a powerful OXIDIZER! :-)

And I thought hey, if we added some sodium sodium peroxide to the potassium nitrate we would get a BIGGER BOOM!! And boy we did!! We were making pipe bombs out of my old steel tubed swing set, and one went off AS WE WERE LOADING THE POWDER and blew out my left eardrum (it grew back!) and blasted a piece of the pipe into my friend's thigh!

That's when we STOPPED making pipe bombs in high school! 😞

John Kuthe...

Break-in makes some sense with a metallized capacitor, but not with a film and foil capacitor. Even with a metallized type, any imperfections in the film sould be "healed" within a few days. There is some debate about that, especially with big horn speakers which typically run at a watt or two. At any rate, the "hundreds of hours" business is complete bullshit. Richard Marsh once told me that anything a cap is going to do, it's done doing in 10-20 hours.

12 minutes ago, moray james said:

How many hours of play on those caps? Are you a very happy camper now?

Absolutely no idea. I only have one system and it's a workhorse that handles everything from HT duty to dedicated music sessions, my little pony episodes, and background noise. I'd say this system is on about 8 hours of each day. And that's exactly what I wanted - a quality system with some modest funds invested that gets used and enjoyed often. I'm absolutely a happy camper these days.

edit: crossovers have been installed for about 11 months.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deang said:

"I just changed out everything in my system and it still sounds the same."

Klipsch Forum. 🙂

Don't forget when you change capacitors to make sure you also dig all that impacted ear wax out. Very important for critical listening.

OK I was looking for an appropriate emoji and I have a moderator question. You guys trying to come up with the most comprehensive list of irrelevent emoji's or what. I thought to use the breast feeding one but decided it was so small no one could tell.

59 minutes ago, Deang said:

Break-in makes some sense with a metallized capacitor, but not with a film and foil capacitor. Even with a metallized type, any imperfections in the film sould be "healed" within a few days. There is some debate about that, especially with big horn speakers which typically run at a watt or two. At any rate, the "hundreds of hours" business is complete bullshit. Richard Marsh once told me that anything a cap is going to do, it's done doing in 10-20 hours.

Hey Dean,

Do those Jupiters have better square wave output?

I used the Audyn caps in the new Type AA crossovers I built from scratch based on Dean's recommendation for something good & reasonable.  They sound quite good and I'm sure they're broken in now as I know I finally have close to 40 hours of play time on my Belle clones.  After sitting idle upstairs at my best friends house from mid March 2018 till June 2019 unplayed, it was nice to get them going again.  I had used Solen caps for 25+ years or so in various networks but that was on typical cone drivers and not really high efficiency speakers, so, I thought I'd use something different.  Might even try something different one day but not worried about it right now.  Sometime soon, I might drop the original AA's back in that have the Russian PIO MGBO capacitors and see what they sound like for a time; I really never played them a lot but they seemed a little reserved.