Made the leap, couldn't be happier!

bharat

Hello my new friends!

I just made the leap into Klipsch after demoing many different speakers including Paradigm Prestige (am I allowed to say the P word on this forum?!). Anyway I couldn't be happier and look forward to learning more and participating in this community. The speakers are single owner Klipsch Forte II from 1985 that have been cared for very well. They came up for sale at my local Hi-Fi store not too long ago and coincided with the timing for when I was in the market for speakers. The store owner was very patient with me and helped me demo and compare several speaker combinations. Oddly enough I listed to the brand new Forte's side by side to the vintage ones and preferred the sound from the old! Turned out to be cheaper than the new, and that was an added bonus (I would have bought these over the new even if they were more expensive). My turntable is a 1200 Technics and amplifier is a Marantz PM 5005. I am in the market for a tube amp as I am curious to know what the Klipsch's sound like with that type of an amp. 

Biggest hurdle in this purchase was convincing my wife that the speakers weren't too 'big' and wouldn't ruin the look of the room. They are relegated in my office / study room for now, but my grand plan is to slowly but surely move them into our large living room. Once I am successful with that then I can think of further upgrading to some of the more impressive Klipsch speakers!

Thanks!

Bharat

Klipsch3-min.jpg

Klipsch1-min.jpg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Pete H said:

If she thinks that they're to big, just wait until you've had a chance to do some reading on this forum

Haha ... yes; "had" Forte's ... replaced them with CF-3's and KPT-904's :D  The improvement in sound was great enough for my wife to allow them in the house :) 

BTW @bharat , welcome :) 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, moray james said:

I am curious about your choice between the Forte ll and the Forte lll and what made you decide to choose the older design? What were the key qualities which made you choose the Forte ll over the Forte lll?

I would guess the three thousand dollar price difference? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, bharat said:

Hello my new friends!

I just made the leap into Klipsch after demoing many different speakers including Paradigm Prestige (am I allowed to say the P word on this forum?!). Anyway I couldn't be happier and look forward to learning more and participating in this community. The speakers are single owner Klipsch Forte II from 1985 that have been cared for very well. They came up for sale at my local Hi-Fi store not too long ago and coincided with the timing for when I was in the market for speakers. The store owner was very patient with me and helped me demo and compare several speaker combinations. Oddly enough I listed to the brand new Forte's side by side to the vintage ones and preferred the sound from the old! Turned out to be cheaper than the new, and that was an added bonus (I would have bought these over the new even if they were more expensive). My turntable is a 1200 Technics and amplifier is a Marantz PM 5005. I am in the market for a tube amp as I am curious to know what the Klipsch's sound like with that type of an amp. 

Biggest hurdle in this purchase was convincing my wife that the speakers weren't too 'big' and wouldn't ruin the look of the room. They are relegated in my office / study room for now, but my grand plan is to slowly but surely move them into our large living room. Once I am successful with that then I can think of further upgrading to some of the more impressive Klipsch speakers!

Thanks!

Bharat

Congrats,and so it begins,I'm at the point of a tube amp and a solid state set or three with a couple of turntables and a set of Klipschorns and KG4's among other speakers.

I had to build a bigger house to make it all fly with the wife.😂

Good luck and happy listening! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pete H said:

Welcome to the forum.  If she thinks that they're to big, just wait until you've had a chance to do some reading on this forum.  

I was thinking of posting pics of my La Scalas! Talk about BIG and BOXY! :-)

John Kuthe...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Pete H said:

Welcome to the forum.  If she thinks that they're to big, just wait until you've had a chance to do some reading on this forum.  

Oh I have realized that very quick! Those Cornwalls man! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Welcome Bharat, great speakers you have there, congrats. If you can, you might try spreading them apart some, might sound even better. Playing with placement can be fun and the sound difference is usually noticeable.

Thanks Ceptorman. Took your advice and man what a difference! Also takes me a while depending on type of music I'm listening to do get the bass and treble settings on my amplifier dialed in just right.  Between these two factors (speaker positioning and amp controls) I find I am able to have a totally different listening experience. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, moray james said:

congratulations on your new to you Forte ll. I am curious about your choice between the Forte ll and the Forte lll and what made you decide to choose the older design? What were the key qualities which made you choose the Forte ll over the Forte lll?

I have to qualify by saying I am new to Klipsch and do not know all the technical details and differences between the Forte II and III. I found the Forte III to be brighter - played through the same exact amplifier and also same track on CD. I preferred the slightly warmer sound from the Forte II. I think it just came down to personal preference at the end. Would be curious to get your thoughts.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Emile said:

Haha ... yes; "had" Forte's ... replaced them with CF-3's and KPT-904's :D  The improvement in sound was great enough for my wife to allow them in the house :) 

BTW @bharat , welcome :) 

Haha Thanks Emile! 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, jjptkd said:

12 hours ago, jjptkd said:

Actually not the case. I was prepared to shell out the extra $$ for the Forte III, but I actually preferred the sound from these II that I ended up going with. I paid $1800 (i know this seems high) for the Forte II, the new III were running around $3800ish I believe, so approximately $2000 more. 

2 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

Hi @bharat

you don't have to spend megabucks for a nice system.

My budget was set at $2000.  I have acquired a pair of LaScala, a nice solid state amp, a CD player and am shopping for a sub with the $500 left in the budget.

Wow! Thanks WillyBob. I envision spending a lot more time at my local Hi-Fi store and also scouring the interwebs for equipment!