Made the leap, couldn't be happier!

bharat

1 hour ago, bharat said:

Thanks Ceptorman. Took your advice and man what a difference! Also takes me a while depending on type of music I'm listening to do get the bass and treble settings on my amplifier dialed in just right.  Between these two factors (speaker positioning and amp controls) I find I am able to have a totally different listening experience. 

I would continue to play with placement, even the distance from the wall behind or beside the speakers. Toe in can make a difference, sometimes a half inch adjustment makes a difference in sound.

2 hours ago, bharat said:

I have to qualify by saying I am new to Klipsch and do not know all the technical details and differences between the Forte II and III. I found the Forte III to be brighter - played through the same exact amplifier and also same track on CD. I preferred the slightly warmer sound from the Forte II. I think it just came down to personal preference at the end. Would be curious to get your thoughts.

Well there are many who love the warm smooth velvety sound of phenolic diaphragms. If you like the Forte ll you will find the Chorus ll even more exciting to listen to, then there is the Epic Series Cf3 and CF4. Jumping to the Heritage line say a LaScala if you can find a room large enough to let them integrate to sing for you and you will find live dynamics the others simply do no possess so be careful it is very very difficult to go back down in efficiency once you have been exposed to it. Trust your ears as you have so far and you will not be disappointed. I would suggest that you raise up your Forte so that the centre of the mid horn is at your seated ear level for the smoothest response and the best possible stage and image. I have included a photo of a pair of Forte lll on some four post Skylan Stands. Note that the stock riser has been removed. These look a little low to me but I do not know what the seating is like. Typical seated ear level is typically around 38 - 42 inches up off the floor.

Klipsch Forte 3 on Skylan Stands.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moray james said:
5 hours ago, bharat said:

I have to qualify by saying I am new to Klipsch and do not know all the technical details and differences between the Forte II and III. I found the Forte III to be brighter - played through the same exact amplifier and also same track on CD. I preferred the slightly warmer sound from the Forte II. I think it just came down to personal preference at the end. Would be curious to get your thoughts.

Well there are many who love the warm smooth velvety sound of phenolic diaphragms. 

Possibly half that and half the higher-ESR (aged) capacitors in series with the HF drivers in the IIs causing the noted difference.  And maybe mostly the caps...  Still, I'd think there wasn't a night/day difference in sound and a couple grand left over goes a long way.

8 hours ago, bharat said:

Actually not the case I paid $1800 (i know this seems high) for the Forte II

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a pair priced even close to that number they typically sell for around $500 

8 hours ago, bharat said:

Makes sense as been mentioned aged capacitors will dull the sound a bit, phenolic diaphragms in the II's instead of the titanium in the III's plus the III's have a "pro" woofer likely with a thinner cone and larger voice-coil giving less low bass and more mid-bass than the II's thick coned woofer that excelled at low bass notes.

I have no doubt the III's sound fantastic as do the II's like you say personal preference / room and equipment matching among other things will likely be deciding factors as to which sounds better to whom. 

Welcome to the forum, Bharat!

Maybe if your wife can hear some of her favourite music through your new speakers, she’ll see why they should be in the living room, where she can enjoy their sound more often.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, bharat said:

I looked through the technical manual but couldn't find mention of cat compatibility! 

Klipsch2-min.jpg

That’s not unusual.  Cats have sometimes been known to go inside La Scalas.  They can climb in the back of the top section, where the tweeter, squawker, and crossover live, or they can go in one side of the bass horn and come out the other side.  That last one is only possible for slim cats.

• Like 3

Congrats on your new speakers! Forte II speakers are awesome, great mid-range. I just wanted to help clarify that your speakers were built in 1992, not 1985. The picture you posted on the serial number tells us this. The first three numbers indicates that it was built in the 24th day of the year, and the 4th and 5th numbers is the year reversed (92). Enjoy! 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 4:56 PM, Emile said:

Haha ... yes; "had" Forte's ... replaced them with CF-3's and KPT-904's :D  The improvement in sound was great enough for my wife to allow them in the house :) 

BTW @bharat , welcome :) 

Sorry Emile you have smallish moderate sized speakers.

• Haha 2

On 6/16/2019 at 5:13 AM, Islander said:

Cats have sometimes been known to go inside La Scalas

one of mine went into the bass bin while in use.  And they are near trained to stay out of the hf section

they aren't allowed... that is where I sleep

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WillyBob said:

one of mine went into the bass bin while in use.  And they are near trained to stay out of the hf section

they aren't allowed... that is where I sleep

Mine has done the circuit through the S-MWM's. In one side out the other. The really funny thing is if I turn them down no matter what music I am playing the cat sits with me for a while and no other speaker has caused him to do so.

• Like 3