Live vs Playback

MyOwn

I came across this on another audio website. Any validity to this? If so where can I find the article? Thank You for your time.

FWIW, I remember reading about demonstrations Paul Klipsch used to give back in the 50's regarding live vs. playback of recordings.  He would use the Klipschorns against a live performance, and was able to achieve a result where the audience was not able to easily tell the difference.

I believe you might find what you're looking for in The Absolute Sound's The Complete Guide to High End Audio by Robert Hartley, on page 157.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-High-End-Audio/dp/0978649362

Many speaker manufacturers, including Acoustic Research & Wharfedale performed these kind of live vs recorded demonstrations. The Bell Lab experiments in "telephony" did this back in the 1930's transmitting the sound of the orchestra to another concert hall equipped with sound reproduction equipment.

However, you'll find that when attending one of these live vs recorded demonstrations that the audience usually identifies the recorded sound as the live sound. As PWK said of an acquaintance of his who attended such a demonstration more than a half century ago, "the orchestra came in third".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2019 at 8:46 AM, artto said:

I believe you might find what you're looking for in The Absolute Sound's The Complete Guide to High End Audio by Robert Hartley, on page 157.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-High-End-Audio/dp/0978649362

Many speaker manufacturers, including Acoustic Research & Wharfedale performed these kind of live vs recorded demonstrations. The Bell Lab experiments in "telephony" did this back in the 1930's transmitting the sound of the orchestra to another concert hall equipped with sound reproduction equipment.

However, you'll find that when attending one of these live vs recorded demonstrations that the audience usually identifies the recorded sound as the live sound. As PWK said of an acquaintance of his who attended such a demonstration more than a half century ago, "the orchestra came in third".

Roger all. The public and audiophile expectations of reproduction have changed a lot since that monumental three-channel experiment in 1933. I am not sure if PWK attended it, but he included it in his first set of published papers and referred to it often.

Live orchestral concerts (to my ear/brain combination) offer more dynamic range and less imaging than a good quality home system. Most of what we think of as "imaging" in speakers is upper midrange beaming. At a live orchestral concert, our eyes tell our ears that the woodwinds are on one side and the brass is on the other. With eyes closed, it is harder to tell in a hall that is many times the volume of a typical  home listening room.

We have evidence that PWK and Belle attended a Bell Labs roadshow demonstration in Houston in the mid-30's.  Dr. Perrine of BTL gave the demo.  It was after this demo that Belle told Paul he could have the back room for a workshop.  The Symposium on Auditory Perspective was referred to by PWK as the "Old Testament" of audio.