Klipschorns with Vitavox drivers

mikeinto

Hi everyone. Mike from Toronto here. Recently acquired a pair of Klipschorns populated with all Vitavox drivers. The cabinets are from 1963 and 1968 according to the serial numbers.

I assume the original owner either pulled the original drivers and installed the Vitavox himself. Am I correct that Klipsch never custom built Klipschorns to customer

specs using Vitavox drivers? I'm aware Klipsch licensed Vitavox to build their own version of the enclosure and install their own drivers (known as the CN191's) .

My speakers have the CN157-S2 horns driven by the S2 drivers, the K15/40 woofers and the CN232 crossovers. The cabinets are in pretty good condition, the grills almost perfect and the drivers

are all excellent. I have no room to properly use them.

What would the best course of action be ? I'd prefer to sell them together but I also know the drivers are desirable and hard to find. If I part them out what would be a realistic price 

to ask for the enclosures? I've attached some pics to give an idea of the condition.IMG_0311-min.thumb.JPG.7533084244a23c601538c127152cfc58.JPGIMG_0311-min.thumb.JPG.7533084244a23c601538c127152cfc58.JPG

IMG_0306-min.JPG

IMG_0317-min.JPG

IMG_0322-min.JPG

IMG_0325-min.JPG

Edited by mikeinto
  • Like 3

Early on Paul would incorporate a buyer's drivers into a Klipschorn.  By 1963 I seriously doubt it .  Unfortunately the logbook for this timeframe has been AWOL for many years.  

Vitavox was the first licensee, and those drivers are definitely high-priced!  Congratulations!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That looks like a very rare and special pair of speakers.  They’re the only example I’ve ever seen of English-licenced Khorns.  Those speakers should be kept intact, IMHO.

BTW, how do they sound?

6 hours ago, Islander said:

That looks like a very rare and special pair of speakers.  They’re the only example I’ve ever seen of English-licenced Khorns.  Those speakers should be kept intact, IMHO.

BTW, how do they sound?

Actually, theses speakers are NOT ones which Vitavox "built under license"...they just have Vitavox drivers in them!  The label clearly shows that they were actually built in Hope, Arkansas, instead.  BTW I knew Portus Gilley...he was still working at Klipsch when I started there in 1976...and he unfortunately passed-away before I left in 1983.  One day he was at work, the next day he wasn't...no extended illness or anything...just gone!  Everybody in the plant was in mourning over his death!  We were all told that we could attend his funeral, which had been scheduled in the middle of a work-day!  And the vast majority of us did so!  He was a wonderful guy...everybody loved Portus!!  He was a "gentle-giant" kind of guy...always smiling with kind things to say to everyone!!  He had been one of the very first employees at Klipsch!

BUT, I also agree that those speakers should remain intact...vitavox drivers and all!  Sell them whole if you don't plan to keep them...just be sure to list them noting that the drivers are all working(I hope) and they are all Vitavox….that will  justify your asking price with those drivers already installed!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Yes I am hoping to sell them intact. I realize probably 80 % or more of their value is due to the drivers. They are indeed  all Vitavox and everything works 100%. I simply don't have the room as obviously they need a large room with unencumbered corners. I had interest from a potential buyer in Buffalo but he wanted me to deliver them. Unfortunately I don't have a passport (never needed one) so delivery to Buffalo would be problematical though I could get them to the border for pickup on the Canadian side. 

IMG_0357-min.JPG

Edited by mikeinto

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone

I have a Vitavox S2 compression driver and the horn, unfortunately I only have one as the other was stolen. I don't have a crossover but the driver is fully working, I want to sell this now but I am not sure on what sort of money I should be asking but I know that they are expensive to buy, could anyone here point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Ray

2 hours ago, Ray77 said:

Hello everyone

I have a Vitavox S2 compression driver and the horn, unfortunately I only have one as the other was stolen. I don't have a crossover but the driver is fully working, I want to sell this now but I am not sure on what sort of money I should be asking but I know that they are expensive to buy, could anyone here point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Ray

Do a completed sale search on ebay. That is an amazing driver. Anything Vitavox is valuable.

Thank you Seti, I will do that now. I have seen some horns selling between £1500 - £2000 albeit they are not in great shape but there no drivers. 

Trying to not get upset about the stolen one but these things happen, hopefully I can get some good money for this one.

• Like 1