a False Corner Conundrum

dug

Hello good people of the Klipsch online community,

I've made the plunge and have a pair of  khorns & la scalas. I would like to use the Khorns for occasional outdoor use and was wondering about your experience (if any) with adapting Khorns for the outdoors.

False corners are a must, but the weight/size of the original PK design are a drawback. I am not learned enough to confidently design my own alternative, particularly given the added impact not having any walls or ceiling whatsoever would have on the overall signal. 

If anyone has any constructive input I would be most grateful.

dug

PS The pair I have are currently in need of cosmetic restoration, but this is not a priority. 

5 minutes ago, hanksjim1 said:

check out threads on enclosing the backs of your Khorns or just use the La Scalas outdoors...LOL

why would using the La Scalas outdoors not be a good idea in your opinion?

would enclosing negate the need for false corners?

thanks for the tip

21 minutes ago, Mallette said:

There is no alternative or PWK would have built it that way. 

Dave

I have however read that there are other reflective materials such as styrofoam which could also be applied.. 

How important is the 4" gap between two 4'x4' boards? Can one glue the 2x  4'x4' boards together with similar results? 

thanks for getting in touch

No reason why other materials for the corner  wouldn't work as long as they are fully reflective rather than absorptive. You might also put some large diameter balloon wheels on them  to  make it easier to move them around outside.

Dave

23 minutes ago, Mallette said:

No reason why other materials for the corner  wouldn't work as long as they are fully reflective rather than absorptive. You might also put some large diameter balloon wheels on them  to  make it easier to move them around outside.

Dave

great tip thanks Dave

9 minutes ago, billybob said:

Yes use the Lascala s out doors....

No need for a backdrop...

I did, they sung.. but the (lack of deep) bass... but that's the (stock) La Scalas for you.

• Like 1

Yes, you got my attention @glens.  My experience and opinions are as follow.

In the 70s I used four Speakerlab factory built plywood SKhorns in a mobile DJ biz.  I used the plywood crates they were shipped in from Seattle to Detroit to enclose the backs similar to how Khorns are made today.  The bass was improved, but still best when situated in proper corners, which were seldom available in the gymnasiums, cafeterias, etc., which were the venues.

Although primarily setup in large indoor spaces, when they were occasionally used outdoors for wedding receptions, and the like, they did provide better bass than would a La Scala or Khorn without an enclosed back.  With all due respect,  I disagree with Dave @Mallette that alternatives to PWK's proper "False" corners do not exist, or PWK would have built them.  Heritage did not have flush mounted horns, nor did Khorns have enclosed backs under PWK, but they do today.

Even with PWK's proper false corners as described in Dope From Hope, the bass outdoors will never equal that available indoors.  IMO, Khorns outdoors, even without enclosed backs, would be superior to La Scalas.  While the bass would only be marginally better, raising the relative elevation of the squawkers and tweeters would be a worthwhile improvement. 

In summary, enclosed back Khorns are, IM0, a worthwhile modification alternative,  even though not a true substitute for indoor use in real corners, or indoor use with PWK's proper false corners.

YMMV

11 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

I disagree with Dave @Mallette that alternatives to PWK's proper "False" corners do not exist, or PWK would have built them. 

Not what I meant. Klipsch engineers have told me that false corners built to their specs are as good as real ones. I was talking about the K'horn design itself. Yes, PWK thought the Jub was better...but it also violates his 8 card in size and cost. He always believed that the K'horn was the smallest, least expensive way to get solid response to C1.

Dave

3 hours ago, Mallette said:

There is no alternative or PWK would have built it that way. 

Dave

I understand what you meant and agree with you.  PWK was an excellent engineer, which means he designed a product that could be built and sold at a profit, that could fit through a standard door, and that could “. . . get solid response to C1.”

That said, when taken out of context, your quote above contributes to the, IMO, incorrect almost religious belief that PWK could walk on water and that nothing he designed could be improved.  I asked him myself why the tweeter and squawker horns were mounted to the rear of the motorboards, rather than flush mounted to the fronts, as they are today.  He replied, “Doesn’t make a dime’s worth of difference.” While his often repeated comment was true from a production cost standpoint, it did not mean, nor did he state, that flush mounting was not an improvement, merely that any improvement was not justified by the cost.

Dave, I haven’t forgotten about the batch of Reg Williamson cleaner I promised.  As soon as I can steal the time to cook up a batch, I’ll send it you as my small contribution to the good music preservation work you’re doing in Texarkana.

La Scalas were originally designed for outdoor PA work, so they’re more convenient to move than Klipschorns.  If you need deeper bass than the La Scalas can provide, just add a subwoofer.  La Scalas usually need a sub when they’re indoors, too.

15 minutes ago, DizRotus said:

incorrect almost religious belief that PWK could walk on water and that nothing he designed could be improved.

No problem...but just leave those of us who have the 8 Commandments memorized and have absolute belief in Cord of Zip to our delusions.

Dave

• Haha 2

I would want to use a hand truck to move either Khorns or La Scalas.  My experience with each is that it is easier to maneuver heavier and taller Khorns using a hand truck than shorter and wider, although lighter, La Scalas.

• Like 1