Klipsch B-2 crossover recap question

Onebean

In my first post here, I mentioned my upcoming Cornwall cabinet build. It was mentioned I should update the caps in the cross over, and I'm no stranger to this work. I've recapped the 4 Pioneer CS-88's I have in my work shop with Dayton films, and my KLH Sixes in my listening room with Russian surplus PP. Cap selection is a touchy subject, and my intention isn't to stir the pot. I only ask to get feedback from your personal experience. I read a lot about the Crites cross over upgrades, and I see he uses Sonicaps in his kits. I also see Klipsch used oil filled caps in their original designs. This leaves me flip flopping between buying the Crites, and just recapping the cross overs with Russian surplus paper in oil capacitors. I will be using my Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours, and maybe rotate in one of my vintage EL84 amps. I'm concerned the Sonicaps will lean toward harsh. Would the Russian PIO caps offer some softening of the horns? Here are the components I'm working with.

K-33-E woofers- I'll probably swap these for Eminence Kappa 15C right out of the gate. 
K-51-V mids
K-77-M tweeters
B-2 crossovers  

On 6/20/2019 at 3:14 PM, JohnA said:

The B2 will need to be adjusted for that new Eminence woofer.  The 2nd order woofer low-paid with eq is not as forgiving as the older first order crossovers. 

John, I was lead to believe it was a drop in replacement for the K-33-E. Is there a published cross over adjustment for replacing the K-33-E with the Kappa 15C?  I don't have the tools, skill, or knowledge to be designing cross overs. One of my K-33-E speakers has a voice coil rub. It was recommended to me, to swap them both for the Kappa 15C, versus sending the one bad K-33-E out for repair, and then not having the speakers match anymore. I'm a newbie to Klipsch, so I'll take all the help I can get.  

You can buy brand new K-33 (OEM) from Speaker Exchange for $129. Yes, those would truly be drop in replacements.

There is a difference in efficiency between the Kappa 15C and the K-33 (many people around here are comfortable in ignoring this however). 

It is the K-33 E and they claim it it is the current replacement. 

The picture even shows a Klipsch Klipsch badge on the back. I do understand that over the years some of the T/S parameters have "drifted" a bit. 

Their words are :

Brand New Genuine Klipsch K33E (K33-E) Woofer Part #121501 (4 Ohm). Used in Klipsch Belle, Cornwall 2, Cornwall 3, K horn & more

3 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

You can buy brand new K-33 (OEM) from Speaker Exchange for $129. Yes, those would truly be drop in replacements.

There is a difference in efficiency between the Kappa 15C and the K-33 (many people around here are comfortable in ignoring this however). 

Yes, and once again we are comfortable ignoring that because we have actually listened to them rather than simply reading the specifications. 

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

Yes, and once again we are comfortable ignoring that because we have actually listened to them rather than simply reading the specifications. 

The OP was concerned about whether "something else" might be a drop in replacement. I pointed out something that they may want to consider (or not bother).

We clearly have a different perspective about things. Why don't we just leave it at that.

16 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

It is the K-33 E and they claim it it is the current replacement. 

The picture even shows a Klipsch Klipsch badge on the back. I do understand that over the years some of the T/S parameters have "drifted" a bit. 

Their words are :

Brand New Genuine Klipsch K33E (K33-E) Woofer Part #121501 (4 Ohm). Used in Klipsch Belle, Cornwall 2, Cornwall 3, K horn & more

I have three sets of numbers. "Drifted a bit" is a funny way of putting it. 

For my own experiments, I have been most bothered by the different Qts values reported for the newer vs the older models of the K33. That will certainly change some of the targeted geometry on the cabinets and applications.

I have since moved onto other designs requiring very different drivers, so I have stopped thinking about it. I remember DJK, had some choice comments about the "drifting specs". 

• Like 1

Right, so with these specifications changing from "K-33" to "K-33", does it really make sense to get annoyed because someone is using a different driver which is more than in the ballpark and plots out nicely?

6 minutes ago, Deang said:

Right, so with these specifications changing from driver to driver, does it really make sense to be annoyed because someone is using a different driver which is better than in the ballpark and plots out nicely. 

I am not annoyed and I am not sure I agree with your other assertions. 

Why don't we agree to disagree?

16 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

12 hours ago, PrestonTom said:

The OP was concerned about whether "something else" might be a drop in replacement. I pointed out something that they may want to consider (or not bother).

We clearly have a different perspective about things. Why don't we just leave it at that.

I was more than happy to just "leave it at that", but then these comments on ignoring the specs keep popping up even though the true test is in actually listening to the driver, which you apparently have not done.  The Kappa 15C is a drop in replacement, and while it's specs do not exactly match a K33, "many people around here" have installed this driver, listened to it for extended periods of time, and have experienced the significant improvements that this driver provides in many ways.

I have a brand new in box pair of the Eminence Kappa 15C that I will be happy to send to you for just the cost of shipping so that you can try them on a temporary basis.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

I was more than happy to just "leave it at that", but then these comments on ignoring the specs keep popping up even though the true test is in actually listening to the driver, which you apparently have not done.  The Kappa 15C is a drop in replacement, and while it's specs do not exactly match a K33, "many people around here" have installed this driver, listened to it for extended periods of time, and have experienced the significant improvements that this driver provides in many ways.

I have a brand new in box pair of the Eminence Kappa 15C that I will be happy to send to you for just the cost of shipping so that you can try them on a temporary basis.

Well, I was hoping you were going "to leave it at that", but you seem to want to continue. 

How about I simply admit that you are brilliant and I am a dope.

Fine! Can you drop it and let others respond to the OP's questions in their own fashion. 

BTW, thanks for your offer to listen to the Kappa 15C's, but I am in the midst of other things right now.

Thanks, 

-Tom

And I was concerned the "suggest a capacitor" would cause an uproar. Tom and Jim, thank you for your answers, and sharing your knowledge and passion. I think I will move forward with ordering the Sonicaps, and sort out the woofer selection as I'm getting closer on the cabinet build.

On a side note- I was watching my notifications, and did not see anything. I thought I would find this post in the form and double check it. When I opened it, I found there had been all this activity I was unaware of. Is there a setting I need to adjust to get my bell to notify me?   

• Like 1