Horn bass cabinet suggestions

Pete H

2 hours ago, Pete H said:

I looked at Claude's 1/4 pies more than once, but even standing them vertically won't work as it pushes everything out from the back wall even further.  Wish I could, I know how much you and everyone else that has built them really like the results.

You are welcome to stop by and hear them if you find yourself in the Cincinnati area.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tromprof said:

You are welcome to stop by and hear them if you find yourself in the Cincinnati area.

Would love to some time.  I come through a couple times a year and will absolutely take you up on that.  I'll be coming through week after next, but travelling with a bunch of couples going to KY to do a bourbon trail trip, so it will have to be a time when I'm solo.   

What kind of crossover point are you setting the Oris at ? I don’t know anyone near Dayton or Orlando that have these and really like all the post about them and would love to hear them sometime

Dollar for dollar Klipsch has no equals
Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

1 hour ago, carlthess40 said:

What kind of crossover point are you setting the Oris at ? I don’t know anyone near Dayton or Orlando that have these and really like all the post about them and would love to hear them sometime

Name one other speaker company that can build a speaker and keep working like new after 45 plus years of service. Answer NO ONE !!!!!!

I currently have the Oris crossing point at 300hz.  Since I have an  Oris 250 for the center channel, this xover point works for all 3 mains.  It also sends the lowest frequencies to the dual 15" LF woofers, which optimizes response.  Most of us Oris owners don't say much out of respect for the forum itself. After all, it is the Klipsch forum.

No doubt, bang for the buck, it doesn't get better than a klipsch speaker....at least the heritage line IMHO.  It will be interesting to see how the more modern construction methods using MDF fare in the long run.  I have owned every heritage Klipsch speaker and enjoyed them all. I still have Hereseys in my shop. You can't beat 18mm BB for speaker cabinet construction!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rudy81 said:

I still have Hereseys in my shop. You can't beat 18mm BB for speaker cabinet construction!

You got that right, on both counts.  Currently, the 396's have replaced the 250's in the shop.

I love all my Klipsch past and present ones that I have or had. I am a very big fan of any and all horns. And like most it’s the money that stops me from playing around with all the type of speakers that I want to hear

I just bought a set of svsound MBS-01 and the matching center for these and I just placed them as my rear speakers . Moving the KI-102’s out for these and I can say the sound is very warm and life like

I’ve wanted to hear the oris horns for a long time but can’t afford to spend that much money

And now with my new house that’s 2800sf I have the room for large horns

And as soon as I get my woodworking shop up and running I will start building all types of different speakers

here's ~ a Mini - Punch sim with Delta Pro12 450 (and compared to LS/K33E)   It probably would be better to seek a driver with higher Re if using with low/zero global feedback tube amps.  Bet it can sound real good on vocals if everything else is matched up well.

The second sim is the Mini Punch with back chamber sealed and set

the same volume (~58 liters) as the stock La Scala.

zJ3yyYE.png

Sealed MP

HVuKMat.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rudy81 said:

Oh yeah, she laughs and shakes her head. But, she also knows that it is a cheap hobby and always knows where I am.  Last time I had a big idea I wanted to buy a 2019 Corvette ZR1.  She approved that one, but I thought better of the idea as I approach retirement. 

I did not make a build thread.  Didn't want to bore everyone with my crazy builds.  These actually turned out very well. I had a lot of design help from LTD02 of GSG audio design. He had helped me design my Full Marty subs and I leaned on him to help me with cabs that could get me to 20hz.

The cabs are huge.  Any larger and I would not have been able to get them up the stairs.  The build requirements included a height suitable for placing my Oris horns at optimum height.  Fitting through the media room door would be a bonus. Size ended up being 35"Wx29"Hx31"D. All 18mm BB construction. Port tuned to 23hz with a port resonance at around 513hz. I also added cabinet handles on the sides.  We needed those as we lugged them up the stairs.  I estimate they weigh about 150 pounds with no drivers. They sit on four large speaker spikes.

Originally I was looking at getting some new 18" drivers and building something similar to LTD02s MBM designs.  But, after much discussion with LTD02, he talked me into re-using my Kappalite 3015LF drivers. Those drivers turned out to be amazing for those boxes.  They do need some EQ to get flat down to the lower ranges, but sound and perform extremely well. Alignment with the Oris was very easy and they complement the Oris as I had hoped.

MMHandle.jpg

Wouldn't bore me. I love build threads!