2000-2500 USD budget for an integrated amplifier. Do amplifiers sound the same? :)

egoquaero

1 minute ago, babadono said:

?

9dB is x8 power not 16 but yes most would say a10 dB rise is double the volume and 10db requires 10 times the power.

Correct. I'm just trying to explain the general concept to someone who is new at this. There are other factors too. The easiest way to increase system output is to use higher efficiency speakers. Otherwise you'll end up with something like that mountain of McIntosh amps at their NYC boutique which is just insane to drive a pair a speakers and a couple subs.

Anyone remember PWK's "Ulitimate LSH Loudspeaker"? (basically a rip on Bob Carver)

• Like 1

Guys, thank you so much again for your help!!!

The audiophile community is really something.... you guys are so supportive and helpful! 

Well yesterday afternoon I managed to cruise on ebay for a while and there was a new Hegel H190 at 2600 Eur which is quite a steal here in Italy. (in Italy, hifi prices are absurdly high compared to the ones in the US for instance..)

And so… I bought it!  It was a rushed decision (last piece), but I think it'll keep my upgradetis under check for a while. It's one of the few integrated amps with Airplay and that comes really handy to me. And it should be able to drive with authority most speakers I might buy in the "near" future.

Is anyone familiar with this Hegel H190?

Edited by egoquaero

5 hours ago, Oicu812 said:

Take a peek at Bryston amps.   I was impressed.  They have aa 20 year,  no questions asked warranty.

http://bryston.com/products/power_amps/6BSST-2-PRO.html

@veloceleste both of yours are great choices...

Bryston has always had an impressive warranty. But that means nothing if you can't stay in the room with one.

I 'd have to say "El Paso"...........

Well granted, it has been several years since I heard a Bryston amp. But at the time, they were tied for worst sounding SS amp with Levinson, at least for me.

Even if they have come a long way, I'm sure they wouldn't trip my trigger. I thought the Plinius SA-102 was an excellent sounding SS amp. But there are several tube amps that are a magnitude cheaper that I would prefer to listen to.

One exception comes to mind. Sonic Frontiers tube amps. I'd probably take a 20 yr old Bryston over one of those.

Shakey

On 6/16/2019 at 9:51 PM, richieb said:

=== “Do amplifiers sound the same”? Yes, yes they do. Be it tubes or solid state each and every amp will sound the same. 

True story — 🤞

The same goes for speakers.

"Do speakers sound the same"? Yes, a resounding yes!  Be it horns or cones speaker.  Each and every speaker will sound the same.

--Maybe a true story!

On 6/19/2019 at 2:23 PM, egoquaero said:

Guys, thank you so much again for your help!!!

The audiophile community is really something.... you guys are so supportive and helpful! 

Just curious, on how many different forums have you posted this same (or similar) thread?  I've seen it a few different places.  How on earth do you even keep up?  Ciao.

Edited by Archguy