Home Audio Upgrade Advice

BBurgDave

And Heritage Head's advice of searching and purchasing used Heritage speakers is really good advice. You save a ton of cash and end up with vintage Klipsch loudspeakers that sound pretty much just like the day they were manufactured. 

The only negative is you might have to wait, might take some time to find the right set, might have to ship em or make a road trip to complete ur mission. But as he said, sometimes that's half the fun. Road trips can be fun. And the big time potential out of pocket savings......

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BBurgDave said:

The RP-280fs look fine and I have seen reviews on Youtube where they compared them to the 8000s favorably (one guy like them better actually), but it seems they only come in Black?  My wife views these things as furniture and I know that she'd prefer Walnut.  Also, I'm not sure my local Audiotronics shop (I'm trying to get them local, if possible, because I like to support local merchants and the support is easier that way) can get them, I'd have to check that.

Happy wife = happy life.  If your wife prefers the speakers in Walnut, that’s what you should get.  That will give her some sense of involvement in the system that inhabits your shared space, and demonstrates your flexibility, hopefully scoring you some “good husband” points.  While Black speakers are good, in that they begin to look smaller after a while, particularly La Scalas, you will be looking at them every day, so both of you should like the looks of the speakers.  In my case, when I saw an opportunity to get a pair of La Scala IIs for a great price, the improved  sound over my much earlier Scalas was the primary motivator to buy them, but the much better looks were also a big factor.

Down the road, when you wheel in some larger speakers (or maybe much larger speakers), you can say, “But Walnut’s your favourite speaker colour (even if it’s just the “beauty panel” on your new Jubilees).  I was sure you’d be thrilled to see these, and especially to hear them.  Let’s hook ‘em up and listen to your favourite song!”

• Like 3

Looked up your receiver.  I'm all about silver; sick of black.  Specs were sorta nutty, but normally Onkyo produces pretty good gear,  so keep it for a while and upgrade the speakers.

If you could pick up a pair of Fortes , you'd be well off.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC2.A0.H0.XKlipsch+forte.TRS0&_nkw=Klipsch+forte&_sacat=0

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/klipsch-forte-168.html

Subwoofers - I have a love/hate thing with them.  Matched to your system and adjusted well, they are great (if you can tell there is a sub, it is too loud, likely 10 dB too loud).  Most of the time they are too loud and the crossover is set too high.  If possible, your receiver should set the sub crossover. 

2 hours ago, BBurgDave said:

Do the Reference Premier models ever go on sale?  I saw a good price on the RF-280 recently (like $324), but I decided I was better off with the RPs after reading some and comparing them.

I know you like to support local and I applaud you for that.  In my rural town there aren't any stores that sell Klipsch.  We;re lucky to have a Walmart and a Sams Club.

In our Klipsch community there is a dealer many of us buy from, Cory.  His forum name is @MetropolisLakeOutfitters, out of Kentucky.  He works with another forum member Steve, @Scrappydue (click on the highlighted names)  I consider both on-line friends.  They have great prices and wonderful service.  I bought my RP-600M from them and I'm telling you, the price could not have been any better.

I might suggest when you are ready to price shop send Cory or Steve a PM and see what they can do.

144802775_RP-600Monbox_small.thumb.jpg.39da8b7d756e12e2f30eac47eeb0a7fa.jpg

IMG_1419_400.thumb.jpg.727d191586ab8b339cbc1bb4cde491c6.jpg

• Like 1

Kind of too bad...  The right speaker needs to be about where that left one is, and the left one similarly located on the other side of the hearth.  The way you've got it in the photo you'd be better off with a single corner horn in mono, in my (truly) friendly opinion.

• Like 1

@glens  Well, I realize it is less than perfect that way, but that is where my Vegas are and they actually sound pretty good, so I think this should sound at least as good, better I assume since these are better speakers.  I recently took an "are you an Audiophile" test, and I only got 3 or 4, so I will confess I am probably not as discerning as some ...

Getting a thumbs up from my wife is more important to me actually being able to get them than having them positioned perfectly (but resulting in non wife pleasing aesthetics) since they are going in "her" living room.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I have an additional question.  I have pretty much decided to wait on a sale for the RP-8000f speakers (I'm not in a hurry) and I was chatting with a guy at Crutchfield today about receivers (I am thinking of upgrading my Onkyo TX-8050 to one of the newer Onkyo Stereo receivers (e.g. TX-8270 or TX-8260) and he asked my why I had decide on Klipsch speakers.  He then asked me about the room where I'd be using them (large living room, about 20 x 25 with hardwood floors and vaulted ceiling, opens to an adjacent dining room).  I also have a rug in that room (maybe 7 x 9).  After hearing that, he told me that he thought the Klipsch speakers would be way too "bright" and that something like these Wharfedale Revas would work better with the hardwood floors.  I've done a ton of research on these speakers and my impression is that, although prior generations of Klipsch speakers were "bright", the current Reference Premier line is much less so, especially the RP-8000f.  Tharbamar has some great reviews on You Tube, e.g. this one, and he talks about that very point.

Is the Crutchfield guy right?

On 6/27/2019 at 9:18 AM, BBurgDave said:

I ran a dry run as part of the "wife's approval" step (these are simulated RP-8000f speakers): 

2117326306_2019-06-2708_58.00reduced.thumb.jpg.5b63ffc1fe1c3e90a6ad364ad04d4c6f.jpg

It passed!

You are never going to get good sound with speakers positioned as such. You might as well go to BB and get something cheap, the end result will be close.

Shakey

• Like 1

I built a freestanding workshop so I didn’t need wife approval.

This was our Klipschorn conversation:

Remember those speakers I’ve been wanting for 30 years?

No.

Yeah you do, the Klipschorns?

Oh, yeah.

Well, I found some near here and I’m going to go look at them.

Wait, where are you putting them?

The workshop.

How are you paying for them?

I have that covered.

Ok, as long as they aren’t in here.

You’ve never even heard them.

I don’t care.

• Haha 1

My wife and I married 13 years ago. She knew about my hobby (sickness?) going in. We shopped for a house with the main criteria being a dedicated listening room. Since that time there have been no fewer than 19 different pairs of speakers to revolve through this room. She has never as much as batted an eye. I not only feel very fortunate, but also a little sad for others who don't have that type of allowance from their mate.

Shakey

• Like 1