Home Audio Upgrade Advice

BBurgDave

I, too, have an utter gem of a wife.  We've been together for very nearly 11 years without so much as a single argument.  It may have been a close call the time I rearranged the living room while she was gone, however.  I know of no other instances from either direction.  Sure makes life good!

• Like 1

My wife and I have been married for 6 years now and we've lived in the house she had when we married, a small rent house in interim, and now the new house we built.  She doesn't really care about all the gear and I'd rather not have it taking up space in the living room, every bedroom, bathroom, etc; it's just upstairs now in my finished out bonus room.  That was one of the deals with the new house...I wanted separate space.

• Like 2

Hey, you were the first one to brandish the word "wife"!  Hahaha

First, at the first mention of Crutchfield you said they mentioned "soundstage" and as I and others have suggested, you'll really only get any kind of real soundstage with the speakers placed as shown if you use Ohm Walsh or something maybe like Bose 901s which evenly splash the sound all around.  Perhaps you could develop soundstage (to speak of) with electrostatic or planar dipoles, I can't say for sure.

As you already know, the system can sound good enough like that but it really won't develop an enveloping 3D sonic image in the room.

I imagine the Wharfdales sound nice, and Polk generally do too.

It seems nobody's stopped by who can really tell you what you want to know, yet.  Certainly not me.

All I can say is in a lively room I believe speakers with a fair amount of directional control would fare better than those which splash sound all around haphazardly.  Klipsch generally believes in that tenet to my knowledge.  But I'm unfamiliar with those of the line you mentioned.

I say get you some Klipsch and go as big as you can afford.  A sub might be nice but if you have to go with a smaller pair to do so, then spend the money on a bigger pair.  A sub isn't nearly as important for music, especially that which is mixed to sound good in a car or through earbuds, as it is for sound effects in film.

Call Cory at https://paducahhometheater.com/ and see what he says and what he can do for you in the way of equipment.  He's very much more than reasonable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BBurgDave said:

Wives aside, does anyone have an answer to the question I asked about wood floors and Klipsch RP-8000 speakers?

With wood floors, all you need are some of those little felt pads you can buy at Lowes, HD, etc., that peel and stick to the bottom.  I used those in our last house for my Klipsch CF-3's and also on the Klipsch inspired Belle clones I built.  They worked just fine and allowed me to slide them around fairly easily if needed.

I don't know if it was mentioned but does this stereo tie into a TV or is this setup only for music?  Based on using an Onkyo TX-8050, I would say just music.  You've got a narrow area there to work with, for sure, so I would hate to say to expect the RP-8000's, or anything in that range, to sound just night and day better than what you have.  Me personally, if I were to buy new speakers again, it would have to be something that gave me a 30 to 60 day listen time to know they sounded good in MY room on MY equipment where I wasn't spending a ton more buying/replacing equipment because the new speakers need this, need that, etc.  New speakers on my radar right now, if I "were" to get some, would be a pair of JBL Studio 590's when they go on half price sale (under a grand shipped) or possibly some of those Zu Audio Dirty Weekend speakers that are efficient and get great reviews.  There's one other one but I forget the name....they are in Utah, also. (not Wilson Audio).  I just hate paying retail for anything in the home A/V world...and usually don't.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, avguytx said:

With wood floors, all you need are some of those little felt pads you can buy at Lowes, HD, etc

Yeah ... they work great :)  But, think OP is inquiring about acoustics with the wood floors :D 

28 minutes ago, Emile said:

Yeah ... they work great :)  But, think OP is inquiring about acoustics with the wood floors :D 

I'd really forgot what the question was and went off what Moray had posted.    ;)

Rugs, drapes, throws on couch, etc.  lol  I had the same issue in our other house with wood floors, leather furniture, no drapes, etc.  Never had to worry about turning the treble up on the preamp, for sure.

• Like 1

You guys actually answered a question I was wondering about but had not asked r.e. the pads for the feet, I was assuming that felt strips, or something like that, would work.  Yes, I was asking about the acoustics with wood floors, I do have a big area rug on the floor, so I guess that should help.

I wish there was a way to try them out first, somehow, but I can't even find a place in Blacksburg to listen to them in a store, let alone try them out in the house.  I did try the Crutchfield tool, but I don't really have one of their specified headphones (I have gaming headphones (Steelseries) which were not on their list, so not sure how useful it really was).

Any headphones will at least allow you to get a comparative idea.  Controlled directivity and/or even (across the board) directivity with a "tamer" top end are going to sound most long-term pleasing in that venue.

If Cory's phone number isn't on his new website look him up here as "metropolislakeoutfitters" in some combination of single or separate words and maybe capitalization.  Call, pm, or email him.