Got a Pork Butt on the Smoker

mr clean

12 hours seems a little long. You only need an internal temp of 180 to 190 degrees.  But you have to anoint it with a beer once an hour so that may explain why you are going so long.

1 hour ago, thebes said:

12 hours seems a little long. You only need an internal temp of 180 to 190 degrees.  But you have to anoint it with a beer once an hour so that may explain why you are going so long.

I cook mine to 195 to 203 or so. Its done when the bone pulls free. I don't know much but I know how I like my pork butts! It depends on the size and the temp on how long it takes. I keep my smoker about 235 degrees. BBQ is done when its done. Im still trying to post a pic. 

3 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

12 hours has been my experience as well.  Or, thereabouts.....

I do about 9 lb butts. usually 12 to 14 hours. The ones I get at the butcher usually take longer. My guess is a higher fat content.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, mr clean said:

I cook mine to 195 to 203 or so. Its done when the bone pulls free.

That's exactly what  I do, using a probe thermometer to keep track of it. I tried just to experiment at 185 and it was greasy, tried at 210 and it was starting to dry out pretty good so I stick with what's proven. 

2 hours ago, mr clean said:

BBQ is done when its done.

Exactly time is just an estimate.

1 hour ago, jimjimbo said:

12 hours has been my experience as well.  Or, thereabouts.....

That's about right for me usually. I have a couple done in 10 hours, but also some a little over 14 hours i gave up and finished them in the oven set at 350, I had enough that day. 

• Thanks 1

The wife doesn't want to pay for picture space and its full on the computer. She's removing some of the  pics and hopefully I will post a pic or two. For something that didn't happen it sure tasted good when I sampled it last night. Nice smoke ring but thats just a pride thing. Who's cheap and makes their own rub like I do? One last thing. If needing a great tool to check your meat temp try a thermopop. Its about 35 bucks and works great. A lot of teams use their higher priced thermopen but its overkill for most. Heres the thermopop.

https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermoPop

1 hour ago, mr clean said:

Who's cheap and makes their own rub like I do?

I do, but not because of expense.  The quality is better because the ingredients are fresher, you can customize the flavor, and adjust the salt content to your liking.  Not only that but there are no added stabilizers or preservatives.  One of my favorites is the home made salt free version of Emerile's Essense.  The cost is about the same as the prefab version but the fresher bulk bought ingredients are superior.

A thermometer really is unnecessary with a pork butt due to the built in indicator that the blade bone provides.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Schu said:

Where is the photographic proof?

The wife been messing with the laptop for hours getting rid of pics and such. I will get some pics up sooner or latter or I will hand deliver one to each of you!!

I do, but not because of expense.  The quality is better because the ingredients are fresher, you can customize the flavor, and adjust the salt content to your liking.  Not only that but there are no added stabilizers or preservatives.  One of my favorites is the home made salt free version of Emerile's Essense.  The cost is about the same as the prefab version but the fresher bulk bought ingredients are superior.

A thermometer really is unnecessary with a pork butt due to the built in indicator that the blade bone provides.

You are right about pulling the bone. Its useful for brisket, chicken, etc. I do check the butts also but start tugging at the bone at 195.  Meats vary abit sometimes as to when the bone pulls.  I don't do anything like injecting, spritzing etc. I put on some rub and throw it on the smoker. Only time I check it is when adding wood and charcoal. Heres a good basic rub that I use. 1/4 cup salt,1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup paprika, 1/8 cup pepper, 2 tbs garlic powder, 2 tbs onion powder, and a ts of cayenne pepper if you want little pop. I don't use the cayenne because I don't like spicy BBQ. You can add other things but this is all I use. Sometimes I use coconut sugar in place of brown sugar. Hickory or Peach wood is what I love with pork. Hickory is what is used  around here. Peach is something I've just used the last few years but I love the flavor also. And what you said about making your own rubs is spot on. Im not really that tight.

😎