Got a Pork Butt on the Smoker

mr clean

18 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

It looks ready...

Its right when it looks like a  meteorite lol! I love the bark and the wife doesn't so that works out great. Just had some and its very good. Pic looks little darker than it is but the bark tastes spot on.  

• Haha 1

• Moderators
5 hours ago, mr clean said:

One last thing. If needing a great tool to check your meat temp try a thermopop. Its about 35 bucks and works great. A lot of teams use their higher priced thermopen but its overkill for most. Heres the thermopop.

Looking good, I have made rubs in the past, but haven't in a while. Just did some butts about a week ago, they go on sale for about  $1 a pound, but I don't do the often because they take all day.

Never tried one of those thermometers, For a few years now I have been using one of these, it works great and it stays in the meat so no need to open the smoker or oven. Has 2 probes, either 2 meats or one for the smoker temp. I found one new for $35 which was about 1/2 price back then. Works every time, if your ever looking this is a good brand. 

https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=77653064386838&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=maverick+732&qid=1560878806&s=gateway&sr=8-4

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dtel said:

Looking good, I have made rubs in the past, but haven't in a while. Just did some butts about a week ago, they go on sale for about  $1 a pound, but I don't do the often because they take all day.

Never tried one of those thermometers, For a few years now I have been using one of these, it works great and it stays in the meat so no need to open the smoker or oven. Has 2 probes, either 2 meats or one for the smoker temp. I found one new for $35 which was about 1/2 price back then. Works every time, if your ever looking this is a good brand. 

https://www.amazon.com/Maverick-732-Remote-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B004IMA718/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=77653064386838&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvqmt=p&keywords=maverick+732&qid=1560878806&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I have one of them also. I just use it to keep the smoker temp. They work great!

• Moderators

When I went looking for something like that it had good reviews on smoking forums, along with the pen type you stick in and get an almost instant read and actually cost more at the time. I wanted something to leave in and have it send the temp reading to something I could take inside. It works better than I expected, I would like to get a little longer probe later, but not until these break, being I am cheap. 

I like how you have a wall around your smoker, that would help when it's windy or cold depending on where you live. When you get a chance add your location to your profile, just roughly like many do not specify, we don't need stalkers. :lol:

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, dtel said:

When I went looking for something like that it had good reviews on smoking forums, along with the pen type you stick in and get an almost instant read and actually cost more at the time. I wanted something to leave in and have it send the temp reading to something I could take inside. It works better than I expected, I would like to get a little longer probe later, but not until these break, being I am cheap. 

I like how you have a wall around your smoker, that would help when it's windy or cold depending on where you live. When you get a chance add your location to your profile, just roughly like many do not specify, we don't need stalkers. :lol:

I have it on a concrete pad with a slanted roof and lights.Its a dog run I never used and now its my lockable smoker station lol. It works well. I live in southern indiana.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tarheel said:

That my friends is a work of art and the standard which all others are compared........and fall short.

Annnnnd, She's back! I do not compare others to her. She won, game over. Now a competition for second place!! There can be multiple winners.

Again, Thank You.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, dtel said:

The only time I didn't' like the wall around the smoker was the day a snake came out of it and looked at me face to face!

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2019 at 10:41 AM, mr clean said:

You are right about pulling the bone. Its useful for brisket, chicken, etc. I do check the butts also but start tugging at the bone at 195.  Meats vary abit sometimes as to when the bone pulls.  I don't do anything like injecting, spritzing etc. I put on some rub and throw it on the smoker. Only time I check it is when adding wood and charcoal. Heres a good basic rub that I use. 1/4 cup salt,1/4 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup paprika, 1/8 cup pepper, 2 tbs garlic powder, 2 tbs onion powder, and a ts of cayenne pepper if you want little pop. I don't use the cayenne because I don't like spicy BBQ. You can add other things but this is all I use. Sometimes I use coconut sugar in place of brown sugar. Hickory or Peach wood is what I love with pork. Hickory is what is used  around here. Peach is something I've just used the last few years but I love the flavor also. And what you said about making your own rubs is spot on. Im not really that tight.

😎

I use sugar maple and hickory, or pecan and hickory.  The hickory in modest amounts.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...