Mating a Integrated amp with Klipschorns

Don McPhee

So I am wanting to match up a tube type amp with Khorns. One Amp I'm looking at is a Luxman SQ-N150.

This is from their web site:

You’ll enjoy surpassingly detailed, open music reproduction thanks to the exceptional linearity of LUXMAN’s P-K split phase inversion circuit. We married an input stage of two JJ Electronic ECC83 miniature double triodes to a push-pull output with four JJ Electronic EL84 pentodes. And with our deep knowledge of tube design, we configured the SQ-N150 for consistent performance and long operating life. On paper, we rate power output at 10 Watts + 10 Watts at 6 ohms. In practice, the sound is fit for the most demanding listeners.

Do ya'll think this is a decent match and has enough headroom?

Cheers

Don

Not trying to make things more complex for you but I tend to look for the "consensus" in reviews and recommendations when switching to a manufacturer that I've not had previous personal experience with.  (Have you owned any Luman products before?)

The downside to consensus is that no relatively decent product line gets mediocre reviews, they are all outstanding values! ;)

So I evaluate the worst case scenarios.  What kind of warranty?  How long is the warranty for and what specifically does it cover?  Does my dealer offer a swap program if you hate it?

I became a PrimaLuna owner a few years ago coming from using other products and I'm happy with my decision.   I'm sure you will be happy once you decide which way to go.  What were you using previously?

Luxman makes some great amps, especially tube amps. The reputation "the McIntosh of Japan" comes to mind. With the exception in the 1980's when Alpine bought them and almost ruined the brand name. Now they're back on their own and seem to be back on track.

I used Luxman MB3045 for decades (still have em). BUT, my current reference regardless of price or pedigree is NAD M32 with BluOS streaming Hi-Res from Tidal. However if you're looking for that midrange bloom or other tantalizing aural excitation that's not on the original recording the Luxman might be preferable to you.

On 6/17/2019 at 7:19 PM, veloceleste said:

Luxman is highly regarded. I owned a top of the line Luxman receiver  (R1120) and it was very, very nice. That being said if you are looking for a another choice in an integrated amplifier using EL84 tubes, I  recommend the Quicksilver Integrated. 20wpc into 2, 4 or 8 ohms using four EL84's per channel, it does a great job throughout the frequency range and I've listened to it with many speakers and have liked it with them all within the amp's power rating. It should have no problem driving your speakers.

+1 QS is a sleeper company that makes excellent gear. 20 watts will be plenty with K-Horns.

Some really interesting info from your responses...Thank you. For now I decided to go with Quicksilver. I found a QS Integrated like new on USAudio

and decided to try it out. I have heard nothing but rave reviews and not a bad word anywhere regarding QS, the man that owns it and the Integrated amp.

It puts out 20wpc so I'm definitely covered in those moments where I want to rock hard!! I'm very anxious to give the Integrated a spin as I have never had an amp with EL84's

though I have been told to expect a sweet midrange with plenty bottom end and smooth highs.

By the way...after waiting what seems like 6 months, LOL... I finally picked up my Klipschorns last night. To say the least I am elated. They are almost like new and sound amazing. I get the QS Integrated on Monday and will hook her up and I think I am going to listen to music for the next few months before I consider a new crossover from Dean and upgrading to mid driver to 55G and tweeter to 120.

Cheers all!!!

Don

FullSizeRender.jpg-1.jpeg

FullSizeRender.jpg.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I did. Long story short right after I got the QS the guy I sold my Primaluna Integrated HP to 4 months ago when I needed money for an emergency asked me if I wanted it back as he has developed a serious hearing issue with one of his ears and his audiophile days are over according to him..Being I almost gave that amp away when I sold it to him I'd be a fool not to ****** it back.>SO the QS is going up for sale.

The QS sounds great, no issues at all. Well balanced all around...the midrange is SWEET!!!

Cheers

Don

I am new to this forum, have dangerously limited knowledge about hi-fi but love Klipschorns. This Tuesday I will be receiving my first pair. They are from 1986 with the AK-2 crossovers. Before I make any upgrades I need to check that they are in complete working order and use them as a reference point to improve upon,  if necessary. I have a limited budget for amps and really want to appreciate the warmth of tubes. McIntosh is/was my first choice but I do not have the 2500.00 to spare and I do not know how well they are made these days. Understanding that the Klipschorns can reach 104 decibels at one watt I have an embarrassing question.  Can you use the Monoprice  27222 pure tube integrated amp to drive the K-horns? It is 10 watts per channel.  Would that be a good starting point (I can even upgrade the tubes) or would my speakers just be insulted and giggle at me?  Any advise would be appreciated.

• Moderators

Yes you can, many on here have drive  their Khorns with 1 watt amps.

Other can chime in on that particular integrated,  I am not familar with it.

The approach you have outlined is a great one.  Just be aware that Khorns are not very forgiving of poor recordings.  You may need to adjust your reference music accordingly. 

Travis

On 6/30/2019 at 11:34 PM, Don McPhee said:

Yes I did. Long story short right after I got the QS the guy I sold my Primaluna Integrated HP to 4 months ago when I needed money for an emergency asked me if I wanted it back as he has developed a serious hearing issue with one of his ears and his audiophile days are over according to him..Being I almost gave that amp away when I sold it to him I'd be a fool not to ****** it back.>SO the QS is going up for sale.

The QS sounds great, no issues at all. Well balanced all around...the midrange is SWEET!!!

Cheers

Don

Will you be able to compare the amps before selling the QS?

• 3 months later...