Need Some Guidance

Flason

I’ve been out of the Home theater scene for the last 9 years. I was in before HDMI and was thrilled with my old Pioneer SACD\DVD player. Loved listening to DTS\SACD\DVD-A music. But all that tech has changed so dramatically. I have been using a Denon 5803 but for a year now, all source, except CD and phono, go through a Parasound DAC for 2 channel audio. So my Academy and 2 rear channels sit silent. Then along comes a sale at Frys for the Yammy 1080 $695 delivered to my door. I do have a Parasound 2205AT for 5X220 so power is covered. I’m really not intending to go 7.2 or 9.1 or any other config except for 5.1. Did I spend wisely of this or if I’m not going full bore and hooking up more speakers for ATMOS, am I just wasting my time? Sure miss those days when things were simple. But then again. If I were my current age back then would I hate the change as much? Damn kids, get off my lawn!! 😜

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Moderators

I think your fine, things can still be simple. It's not required to go 7.2 or anything more, there is nothing wrong with a good 5.1.

They will always be adding more channels and whatever they come up with, it's just the way it goes. To me the most important thing is you can play the newer sound formats and have the needed connections.

I use 6.1, why, well because I had pairs of speakers and seen no reason to  store one somewhere. I just set the receiver to what was the closest they recomended for 6.1, good enough.

Does the newest 9.1 or whatever is now the best, sound better, I would think so if done correctly, do I care no.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Flason said:

I’m really not intending to go 7.2 or 9.1 or any other config except for 5.1. Did I spend wisely of this

I have enough speakers and a Marantz 6011 that processes 11 channels so that I can run pretty much anything I want.  I am plenty happy with 5.1 for TV/Movies and for TV watching 3.0 is even better.

I think what you will really like is how much HDMI simplifies your cabling.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I will check out this Yamaha 1080 and see how it goes. If not, back to the Denon. Love that beast of a receiver. It weighs double what the 1080 does but again, not an issue with my Parasound 2205AT. Let the testing begin!

• Like 1

• Moderators

Well with the Parasound you don't need a receiver with a lot of power, just one that sounds good, you have the power covered.

What about instead of spending money on a receiver get something to go in front of the Parasound and skip the receiver thing? 

dtel, I did think about that. I had an old B&K Ref30 that I loved. The thing is this Yamaha Aventage 1080 was on sale at Fry’s from $1100 to $700. I don’t think I could get a pre for as little as that. Sure the amp section in the Yammy will not be used but even with the beast of a Denon I have, the amp section is unused. For the price I paid for the Yamaha I not have video and audio switching with the latest sound fields. I still miss my old Pioneer DVD-A\SACD player but I do have all that music in almost every format except cassette or 8 track! 

• Like 1

Welcome back to crazy land.

Buy used man. Get on CL or ebay and buy something 4 or 5 years old (with pre outs for your amp of course). For a few hundred you can get something that will do everything you want and perform as good or better as anything selling today for 1k new.

Now if you needed 4k and wifi plus everything you want that might change some things. Nothing wrong with new but used gives you WAY more. And good gear doesn't perform better brand new vs when its 4 years old (or 20 years in some cases). 

That Emotive looks nice! I did already receive the Yamaha from Fry's for $695. Haven't unboxed it yet. Will have to do it this weekend. Looks like my Denon AVR5803 is going used for as much as I paid for the Yammy. But the Alexa, Plex and other streaming services look prety darn good. I do have a 3TB frive that is full of FLAC files that I am hoping I can connect to the USB port and play, but I guess I need to unbox and find some You Tube vids for instruction on all that.

That is just a great price on the RX-A1080. Its $1200 @ Crutchfield new. Can't find it anywhere for even $900 anywhere else. I'da jumped on that. I searched Fry's website when you first posted that deal above but could not find it anywhere.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA1080/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A1080.html?awcp=1t1&awcr=280169345980&awdv=c&awkw=rx+a1080&awmt=p&awnw=g&awug=9025201&gclid=CjwKCAjwuqfoBRAEEiwAZErCstCnYF7upWG_XWw-WVNgYV1R15h7jUjAVT6QKnJN5Czy8Xw3cjDcRxoC-RcQAvD_BwE

I just purchased a RX-V685 this morning for $449 delivered. Been wanting to try a new Yamaha AVR compared to my 6.5 year old Sony AVR.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, polizzio said:

That is just a great price on the RX-A1080. Its $1200 @ Crutchfield new. Can't find it anywhere for even $900 anywhere else. I'da jumped on that. I searched Fry's website when you first posted that deal above but could not find it anywhere.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXA1080/Yamaha-AVENTAGE-RX-A1080.html?awcp=1t1&awcr=280169345980&awdv=c&awkw=rx+a1080&awmt=p&awnw=g&awug=9025201&gclid=CjwKCAjwuqfoBRAEEiwAZErCstCnYF7upWG_XWw-WVNgYV1R15h7jUjAVT6QKnJN5Czy8Xw3cjDcRxoC-RcQAvD_BwE

I just purchased a RX-V685 this morning for $449 delivered. Been wanting to try a new Yamaha AVR compared to my 6.5 year old Sony AVR.

Congrats 

7 hours ago, polizzio said:

Yeah. It was one of the Fry’s one day sales. The checkout had it for $1100 but you put the promo code 2288 in there and it dropped the price pretty much in half. They have a warehouse in Louisiana so it shipped from there and not their Cali location. I did see it at Accessories for Less for $750 and refurbed so Fry’s was cheaper and new was a no brainer which is lucky for me! 😀

33 minutes ago, Flason said:

Yeah. It was one of the Fry’s one day sales. The checkout had it for $1100 but you put the promo code 2288 in there and it dropped the price pretty much in half. They have a warehouse in Louisiana so it shipped from there and not their Cali location. I did see it at Accessories for Less for $750 and refurbed so Fry’s was cheaper and new was a no brainer which is lucky for me! 😀

Well congrats, you got a spectacular deal. Stay away from Accessories for Less and their tempting refurbs. I did a LOT of research on them and read tons of reviews. Not good!

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Stay away from Accessories for Less and their tempting refurbs. I did a LOT of research on them and read tons of reviews. Not good!

Bought a couple of pieces from them and was pleased.  But would like to hear more :D 

16 minutes ago, polizzio said:

Well congrats, you got a spectacular deal. Stay away from Accessories for Less and their tempting refurbs. I did a LOT of research on them and read tons of reviews. Not good!

I've had a couple of avr units from A4L now and no issues whatsoever.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Emile said:

Bought a couple of pieces from them and was pleased.  But would like to hear more :D 

I have not done business with them. I was considering it, their refurbished AVRs are quite temping. But if you research and read reviews, they have some unhappy customers out there. 

You guys seem to have positive experiences with A4L, this is good. Maybe the negative reviews are off base. Experience speaks volumes, and I have none with them.

• Like 1