cheap amp for computer speakers

Pete H

I need to get one of my Carvers pulled out from the computer and need a simple cheap amp that will run a set of RB5's for my computer set up.  I'm talking cheap and great match ups or the best sonic quality don't matter at all, it's a freaking computer.  LOL   BTW, when I'm at my main computer, I'm in a great listening position for my main rig, so I don't listen to music or watch movies on the computer.  Think cheap but will fit the bill.  

I picked up one of these for my desktop pc setup last Dec. Solid performance, 50 clean wpc @ 8ohm load, and bass and treble controls. $70 delivered. Nice aluminum case and the 3 rotary knobs are precision. There is a cheaper option @ parts express, but this little Fosi drives my Elac 6.2s so well @ my desktop, I have no doubt it could drive my Corns in the LR really well. Has great ratings on amazon and  a 18 month warranty. Made in China.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076P2VS9H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if you have a small sub that you might want to add, i have a few of these Lepai 2.1 channel amps. Work great for computers speakers. I have a pair a ksb2.1 hooked up along with a small dayton sub. Sounds great actually. Cant beat the price, I'd send it to ya. (i have several spares for some reason)

aaa.thumb.jpg.afd44cecf24894138dd5c9d7d3dda7bd.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/17/2019 at 7:45 PM, polizzio said:

Here is the el cheapo amp at parts express. Never owned one but seems to have good ratings. 10 wpc 4 ohm load @ .1% THD . $30

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-1-class-d-ac-dc-battery-powered-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

I've owned two of them.  Paired them with a couple of pair of DIY Overnight Sensations which are rated for about 30 wpc.

The little amps really work and frankly sound very good, no noise floor and you can run them full tilt and not overpower anything in terms of speakers.  They are also cool because you can run them on AA batteries, a nice tool for testing a speaker in the field.  The obvious knock on them is they don't have much power, I'm thinking  maybe 15 wpc.

+++

These little Nobsound amps look interesting.  I don't own one, but they have popped up on these forums from time-to-time.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Nobsound-Home-Audio-Amplifiers-Preamps/14970/bn_88396129

+++

@MookieStl's offer directly upstream ^^^ for the Lepai looks pretty good.  B)

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 12:31 PM, wvu80 said:

I've owned two of them.  Paired them with a couple of pair of DIY Overnight Sensations which are rated for about 30 wpc.

The little amps really work and frankly sound very good, no noise floor and you can run them full tilt and not overpower anything in terms of speakers.  They are also cool because you can run them on AA batteries, a nice tool for testing a speaker in the field.  The obvious knock on them is they don't have much power, I'm thinking  maybe 15 wpc.

+++

These little Nobsound amps look interesting.  I don't own one, but they have popped up on these forums from time-to-time.

https://www.ebay.com/b/Nobsound-Home-Audio-Amplifiers-Preamps/14970/bn_88396129

+++

@MookieStl's offer directly upstream ^^^ for the Lepai looks pretty good.  B)

Yep, NO POWER!!

That's why I love driving my JBL Control X WIRED 14awg outdoor weather resistant speakers under my deck with my Mcingtosh MX113 preamp into my MC2105 power amp, out the headphone jack of my Panasonic Toughbook running WinXP Pro which is Youtube STEALTH and does NOT trigger Youtube to stop periodically and ask :re

qw;wkejhrj23

On 6/18/2019 at 1:56 PM, MookieStl said:

if you have a small sub that you might want to add, i have a few of these Lepai 2.1 channel amps. Work great for computers speakers. I have a pair a ksb2.1 hooked up along with a small dayton sub. Sounds great actually. Cant beat the price, I'd send it to ya. (i have several spares for some reason)

How special this forum and so many of the members are just never ceases to amaze me.  :emotion-22: to you.  Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...