Why not a 510 in a home speaker yet?

5 hours ago, richieb said:
8 hours ago, Coytee said:

Forget grills....  be BOLD

510 floor.jpg

=== lots of orange peel there. You have several hours of wet sanding ahead - love the look though —

That's a feature.  Think shark's skin or golf balls.  The bumps keep the sound waves from sticking to the surface - they flow out with greater speed and authority.

9 hours ago, richieb said:

You have several hours of wet sanding ahead

Nope...  was an experiment.  Horn is already back in the closet.  (think end of Raiders of Lost Ark as the Ark was being shuffled into the government warehouse as it was going to be analyzed by "Top People")

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 11:50 AM, avguytx said:

Just block his signature with the drop down on the far right.  You can block his only or everyone's and/or do it per user...that's what I use as I don't like seeing the long signatures either.  Only one I can't get rid of that bugs the crap out of me is the one carlthess40 has in the actual body of any reply he makes. 

Is there a way to block his extremely annoying avatar?

If I were running Klipsch, I would use the design of the K510 as a guideline for a 1 or 1.5" exit constant directivity horn that would work as a two way for the Cornwall IV. I'm not sure the K510 is really appropriate for the consumer market. It is however a great piece of kit for anyone looking for an approximation of the Jube sound in a smaller package, who has the skills/patience to design and test an active design. I'm just glad these horns exist and I'm privileged to have them in my home.

As far as Roy goes, I'm just grateful he designed them and makes them available through dealers like Cory for those who want them. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MenloBob said:

As far as Roy goes, I'm just grateful he designed them and makes them available through dealers like Cory for those who want them. 

You can't get just the bare horns anymore if that's what you're referring to.

I think it is not just the horn . . . the cost of the driver is probably a big consideration with respect to home units.

It is, IMHO, a bit discourteous to ask Roy for the reasoning of Klipsch's choices in business matters or technical matter and I'd never do it.  Further, it wouldn't work!  So why annoy friends?

WMcD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CECAA850 said:

You can't get just the bare horns anymore if that's what you're referring to.

No I was referring to the 904HF bundle with the drivers and stand. At least you can buy the horns without having to cannibalize a pro speaker.

22 hours ago, MenloBob said:

... I would use the design of the K510 as a guideline for a 1 or 1.5" exit constant directivity horn that would work as a two way for ...

There's the K703-M as used in the KI-362-SMA-II and the Forte III.  There were a couple threads by a person who first claimed "listening fatigue" with the Forte and then turned it into a two-way, but subsequently fell off the face of the earth instead of providing the data.

In the KI it's a 1.5" K-53-TI driver, in the Forte it's a K-70-G 1.75", also used as the top driver in two-way KI units as well (and the RF7-III?).  Might well be doable...

• Like 1

The K703 is a midrange horn and it is constant directivity. I don't know if it goes up high enough. The horn in the RF7 iii is not the K703 (and has a different dispersion pattern compared to a K-510), but it uses the same driver (and goes up high enough).

I just wanted to clarify this. Since I don't think the K-510 is easy to substitute. Especially if you are looking for a two-way system

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, PrestonTom said:

Since I don't think the K-510 is easy to substitute. Especially if you are looking for a two-way system

You won’t get any argument from me on that. I’m spending 2-4 hours every night in front of mine. Jubes are the only thing I’ve heard that are significantly better. But then again auditory memory is very imprecise...

1 hour ago, PrestonTom said:

The K703 is a midrange horn and it is constant directivity. I don't know if it goes up high enough. The horn in the RF7 iii is not the K703 (and has a different dispersion pattern compared to a K-510), but it uses the same driver (and goes up high enough).

I just wanted to clarify this. Since I don't think the K-510 is easy to substitute. Especially if you are looking for a two-way system

It may not be easy to substitute.  But it may be, with the 703.  As stated, the driver in the Forte is used all the way up elsewhere.  All that needs light shed on is how the 703 does the rest of the way up.  Might be a dud, but might make the perfect two-way...

• Like 1

It is a possibility. However in a two-way you are typically crossing somewhere between 500-1000. The higher the crossover point, the more difficult it is for the woofer to deliver a clean sound (unless  you use tiny woofers in which case you are giving up low frequency extension). If you cross with a lower point then the tweeter driver may have difficulty. 

You really do limit yourself when you try and design a two-way system. There aren't nearly as many choices. Except for the problem with vertical polar control, I am happy with a 2 inch throated K-510 horn. There is a decent selection of affordable (frequently used with new diaphragms) drivers that can do the job (EV DH 1, or JBL 2445/6 for example). 

Good luck,

-Tom

I think the crossover in the Forte III is 600 and change, and the mid is padded well down.  I've got Forte IIIs.  If I ever get around to getting a umik I'll run some exploratory sweeps.  'Course that's been done and mentioned in that other thread, but no charts to see or any elaboration there.