Why not a 510 in a home speaker yet?

8 hours ago, WMcD said:

I think it is not just the horn . . . the cost of the driver is probably a big consideration with respect to home units.

It is, IMHO, a bit discourteous to ask Roy for the reasoning of Klipsch's choices in business matters or technical matter and I'd never do it.  Further, it wouldn't work!  So why annoy friends?

WMcD

Fair enough... I cant argue your opinion 1. because its your opinion. 2. I agree with all of it. 

Never intended to be rude or be in poor taste. But after reading your opinion that maybe it was (a bit poor taste/discourteous) and taking a sec to think. It is a bit out of lineI/maybe a bit poor tase or even rude. 

I never expected a detailed actual klipsch full break down on the topic (if it was ever discussed at all). I wasn't even per say expecting or asking for Roys response. Being that hes klipsch and thats always going to be a by the books answer (for good reason) So that in itself makes the title of my thread maybe tacky/rude. I would love even a basic answer yes. But Roys hands will always be potentially tied making the request unfair to him (being I know this) ....

But I was just being curious and was even more than even hearing Roys opinion, To get others to comment on maybe the rumor they heard or there basic opinion on the matter. This forum as a whole is the klipsch everything you need or want to know capital of the world. Its not even close. So even other members opinions was the main intent.

The title gave it a maybe possible Roy appearance, and as klipsch addicts hes about as famous as it gets of people physically (not  passed on) able to post. My apology to any members I may have offended and to Roy for exploiting and asking maybe an unfair question.     

13 minutes ago, Heritage_Head said:

Never intended to be rude or be in poor taste. But after reading your opinion that maybe it was (a bit poor taste/discourteous) and taking a sec to think. It is a bit out of lineI/maybe a bit poor tase or even rude. 

I'm not being referred to in that, but I don't feel it's a discourteous or dis-anything-else question to ask.  It'll be answered in whichever manner, or unanswered, but asking it isn't out of line IMO.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, glens said:

I'm not being referred to in that, but I don't feel it's a discourteous or dis-anything-else question to ask.  It'll be answered in whichever manner, or unanswered, but asking it isn't out of line IMO.

I see both sides. My thinking was that or to be honest i never really even contemplated it anything (like some threads I start I think about if it might be poor taste).

Roy is handcuffed to his employment to klipsch and titling a thread for his response puts him in a potentially stuck in the middle deal. Maybe its fine and talk away.... or maybe its a current klipsch strategy so any answer wouldn't possibly be the type of answer as creator and engineer of klipsch products would want to be stuck with as an answer. 

So I guess my apology is for putting him in maybe an unfair [position.  Possibly he might look bad  to some members for not showing and responding. But he again possibly knows any thing he's able to say wont be any better than not replying. 

A discussion or debate with a person who cant do either can be seen as an unfair request.  

My intent was good but my delivery was a bit reckless. 

I disagree.  The worst spot he could be put in would be having to say "I can't discuss that here at this time."  Next worse would be having to say "I don't want to discuss that here at this time."

Or he could ignore the question altogether, if he's even aware of it...

Any way: no harm, no foul in my estimation.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Add-on ... Recall @MenloBob's awesome K-510 w/ dual woofer design.  By chance, found a company that makes a "BIG" CF-4 D'Appolito design speaker. Comp is Tyler Acoustics who makes a PD-30 speaker. MTM configuration with 15" Pro Eminance woofers ... do not know the size of the horn or CD. See ... http://www.tyleracoustics.com/pro_dynamics.html . Yes, they also have bigger models with 18" woofers, etc :D  Just thought this might be of interest to those looking for "bigger" Epic speakers :) 

pd30_sm1.jpg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Emile said:

Recall @MenloBob's awesome K-510 w/ dual woofer design.

I'm currently working up plans for triple K510s with single woofers for a built in LRC wall unit in our master bedroom. We're planning a remodel and now is my opportunity to get something upstairs. The idea is about a 10' wide entertainment cabinet with Heresyish sized cabs embedded left, right and center. Might use Hypex's Fusion DSP plate amps for this build.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Emile said:

"BIG" CF-4 D'Appolito design speaker. Comp is Tyler Acoustics who makes a PD-30 speaker. MTM configuration with 15" Pro Eminance woofers ... do not know the size of the horn or CD

Update ... horns are 6.5x6.5x12 and driver is a 1 inch type, crossed at 2000Hz.  Bit disappointed?? 

On 7/26/2019 at 7:11 PM, PrestonTom said:

It is a possibility. However in a two-way you are typically crossing somewhere between 500-1000. The higher the crossover point, the more difficult it is for the woofer to deliver a clean sound (unless  you use tiny woofers in which case you are giving up low frequency extension). If you cross with a lower point then the tweeter driver may have difficulty. 

You really do limit yourself when you try and design a two-way system. There aren't nearly as many choices. Except for the problem with vertical polar control, I am happy with a 2 inch throated K-510 horn. There is a decent selection of affordable (frequently used with new diaphragms) drivers that can do the job (EV DH 1, or JBL 2445/6 for example). 

Good luck,

-Tom

Good advice, Tom. I have owned all of the drivers and horns you mention and can attest to the veracity of your comments with measurements and listening. Physics is physics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, MenloBob said:

Looks like are wishes have been granted, K510s in a 2 way home tower. Hopefully the LCR speakers will be orderable separately from the subs for 2 channel. Thanks team!

https://www.klipsch.com/cedia

Thank you for the brochure though I don't see anything about a K510 in that document.  Please point out the page.